What's new

Old Bangla Photos

^^^

Just looking at some 1971 photographs I noticed there was mention of Yahya Khan and ZAB. Just want to correct people here about Yahya. He was a Punjabi born in Chakval but his ancestors were Kizilbash Persians. He was not Hazara as in the Persian [Farsi] speaking Hazara minority in Quetta, Balochistan who are of Turkic/Kazak background.

Gen Musa Khan was a Hazara from Quetta who was Chief of Staff Pakistan Army but I believe he retired in 1969 so please don't blame the poor Hazara community.

There is no point in blaming a particular community in West Pakistan for 1971. The bald truth and possibly uncomfortable as well, is that it took more than a few men for 1971 to happen. The fact is West Pakistani political, industrial, landed, bureaucratic, military elite as a whole was involved. At another level you can see there wre no demonstrations on the streets about what was happening in East Pakistan.

The failure and blame is difuse and it is nothing less than a mockery to find convenient scapegoats today. West Pakistan as whole was responsible like today Pakistan as a whole is responsible in the genocide of the Hazara that is on going right now. Do you see any demonstrations in Lahore, Karachi etc

Bias and prejudice are the reasons for no action and the same was in 1971.

I knew for some time that Yahya was not Hazara, but Kizilbash shia (Turko/Iranian) who were instrumental in setting up Safavi Persia and eventual conversions of Persians into Shiism, a great geopolitical disaster for the contemporary Muslim world:
Qizilbash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard and read that Hazara's were persecuted and massacred by Pashtuns, because of ethnic and religious difference in most of recent history. I was not aware that it is happening in Pakistan nowadays. May be you can create a new thread on this issue.

Hazara's have interesting ancestry. Genetic tests show their link with Mongols, specially with some ancestral population of Chingis Khan. So Mongol's actually do consider them as a brotherly Mongol population, despite the distance, just like Kalmyks in Russian Europe.

There used to be some nomadic Kazakh tribes in Northern Afghanistan, but most have repatriated to Kazakhstan, I met one Imam in a mosque in Turkestan town of Kazakhstan few years ago. I am not sure if Hazara's are linked with Kazakhs, who are mostly Sunni Muslims, like most other nomadic or sedentary Turkic ( or Turko Mongol) population in Central Asia. Some people speculated that the reason Hazara's are Shia, is because some of their ancestors were Mongol soldiers in Il Khan Persia and some moved to Afghanistan after conversion of Persians to Shia faith under Safavi dynasty around 1500 AD. Anyways, off topic here.

2 pakistani Sodiers in East Pakistan During 1971

252721_10151012721228363_1743119276_n.jpg

@ I don't think they are soldiers ! They are officers .

@Kalu Miah

The Hazara in Pakistan [not to be mixed up with Hazara District in Khyber-Pak.,] are probably Turko-Mongols. They speak Farsi though and are Shia but that is because they absorbed these influences post their arrival. They do look like Kazahks in appearance.

Yes, sadly they are being targeted, not because of their ethnic group per se but because they are Shia. Living in Pahtun dominated area of Balochistan does not help. Because they can be recognized easily they are targeted by anti Shia groups as almost 99.9% Hazara are Shia.

I have brought up their plight in Pakistan forum many times but I have not got much support. It is the same pervasive silence that allowed 1971 to happen. Frankly Kalu Miah I am no better, under certain conditions the latent prejudice can explode in me but we have to recognize and fight this evil as a society or else we will never overcome this.

The Hazara have been targeted since the rise of anti-Shia groups since 1990s before that this community did very well. Gen Musa Khan, Air Marshal Sharbat Ali Changezi and recently one of the first female pilots of Pakistan Airforce, Saira Batool.

http://pakideology.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/saira-batool.jpg

* Please do excuse me for going off topic. This will be my last indiscretion here.

@Kalu Miah

The Hazara in Pakistan [not to be mixed up with Hazara District in Khyber-Pak.,] are probably Turko-Mongols. They speak Farsi though and are Shia but that is because they absorbed these influences post their arrival. They do look like Kazahks in appearance.

Yes, sadly they are being targeted, not because of their ethnic group per se but because they are Shia. Living in Pahtun dominated area of Balochistan does not help. Because they can be recognized easily they are targeted by anti Shia groups as almost 99.9% Hazara are Shia.

I have brought up their plight in Pakistan forum many times but I have not got much support. It is the same pervasive silence that allowed 1971 to happen. Frankly Kalu Miah I am no better, under certain conditions the latent prejudice can explode in me but we have to recognize and fight this evil as a society or else we will never overcome this.

The Hazara have been targeted since the rise of anti-Shia groups since 1990s before that this community did very well. Gen Musa Khan, Air Marshal Sharbat Ali Changezi and recently one of the first female pilots of Pakistan Airforce, Saira Batool.

* Please do excuse me for going off topic. This will be my last indiscretion here.

1. It's unfortunate really because the Hazaras are such wonderful people. Amiable, hardworking, ever-smiling, there have been many Hazara officers in PA and PAF.

2. However, their representation in the Ranks was virtually zero. Any prospect developing was ended with the scrapping of the early Pakistan period decision to locate the Baloch Regt in Balochistan. During the '65 War some Hazaras were recruited. A platoon was posted with the Baloch Bn on the Jammu-Sialkot FDLs. Instantly there were protests in the Indian media about Chinese soldiers sighted in Pakistan!

@Kalu Miah

1. It's unfortunate really because the Hazaras are such wonderful people. Amiable, hardworking, ever-smiling, there have been many Hazara officers in PA and PAF.

2. However, their representation in the Ranks was virtually zero. Any prospect developing was ended with the scrapping of the early Pakistan period decision to locate the Baloch Regt in Balochistan. During the '65 War some Hazaras were recruited. A platoon was posted with the Baloch Bn on the Jammu-Sialkot FDLs. Instantly there were protests in the Indian media about Chinese soldiers sighted in Pakistan!

Someone should open a thread about Hazara's. I think they have it bad both ways, many of them look part asian and also they are Shia.

They are not Biharis, they were Muktis, killed by Banga Bir Kader Siddiqui, Banga Bir wrote in his book that these 4 muktis kidnapped a bihari girl after 16th december but was caught by other muktis and they were killed

545093_10151018040838363_1736286561_n.jpg

575652_10151018041293363_155943902_n.jpg

580786_10151018041793363_1766704417_n.jpg

599979_10151018042408363_974456080_n.jpg

205263_10151018042958363_214319095_n.jpg

431832_10151018044468363_1624220109_n.jpg

376258_10151018044943363_415455159_n.jpg

Some old Bangla advertisements from Pakistan era...

Family planning
nzvr5.jpg

Rajshahi silk
egzpn7.jpg

K2 biri
mmzuo.jpg

Charter air plane from PIA
dwp9v9.jpg

Kawasaki motorbike
2hn54xx.jpg

East Pakistan shoe company
2v121ll.jpg