What's new

Obesity in children ‘alarmingly’ on rise in Bangladesh

Published on 05:10 PM, January 26, 2022

Childhood obesity: Dark side of rising income​

Obesity is increasing in Bangladesh's younger generation

Tanveer Ahmed

The pandemic has had a terrible impact on children, especially their education, among those living in the developing world. But just as it has accelerated trends that already existed such as digitisation, it has exposed the worrying problem of childhood obesity.

A global study conducted by the British government's National Child Measurement Programme this year found the highest increase in childhood obesity during its entire 15-year history. What is especially relevant for Bangladesh is that obesity has traditionally been a marker of excess in rich countries, but in 2018 almost half of all children who fall under the classification of overweight were living in Asia and another quarter in Africa.

Being overweight is measured as those whose body mass index is between 25 and 30, whereas above 30 one is called obese.

The pandemic and the effects of lockdown has only worsened such trends. School closures, restrictions on leaving the house and greater limitations on meeting friends have led to more sedentary lifestyles. All parents will not be surprised by the multiple studies which found children were spending between three to six hours a day more on screens during the height of the pandemic.

Watching the pictures of pandemic life in Bangladesh from afar, a typical picture was that of children in balconies holding the metal rails looking out into the distance. This is a far cry from my childhood memories of Dhaka or village life where children ran around chasing animals or steering moving tyres with sticks.
A 2015 study from the US based Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation linked to the University of Washington found the proportion of overweight in Bangladesh had doubled in the 33 years -- from 1980 to 2013. Childhood obesity had also increased considerably but at a lower rate than adults and also more slowly than some neighbouring countries such as Pakistan and Bhutan.

"Obesity is an issue affecting people of all ages and incomes, everywhere," said Dr Christopher Murray, director of IHME and a co-founder of the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) study. "In the last three decades, not one country has achieved success in reducing obesity rates, and we expect obesity to rise steadily as incomes rise in low- and middle-income countries in particular, unless urgent steps are taken to address this public health crisis."

This is one of the curious aspects of obesity in countries like Bangladesh that are becoming richer.

Carrying a few extra kgs has historically been a status symbol -- given that for most of history we have lived amid scarcity. A big belly signalled wealth. The opposite is now true in rich countries, where it is the poor that tend to eat cheaper, high calorie food, do less exercise and have higher rates of obesity. Being overweight in a country like Australia or Britain now signals low status.

But these social transformations take time. I have observed newly arrived relatives who have moved to Australia taking pride in being able to afford soft drinks without having to worry about the costs. While some relatives were growing up, such luxuries were bought only as a treat. But the greater wealth that can arise from migrating to the West, at least in time, is often initially spent on enjoying an abundance of high calorie food.

This is compounded by a culture that is regarded as having the sweetest tooth in the world. The syrupy, sweet delights of shondesh, roshogolla or jilapi are no doubt delicious, but they are among the most concentrated sugary desserts in any country. It is also likely that a culture where alcohol does not feature openly tends to prize such desserts for enjoyment.
Migrants from countries like Bangladesh, India and Pakistan have three times the rate of obesity and associated condition such as diabetes and heart disease when they move to the West. This is because they continue to eat fatty, high calorie foods but in greater quantities. Both men and women from such groups are also less likely to exercise.

Unfortunately such trends are no longer limited to those who have moved overseas and are occurring in Bangladesh as the middle class grows. Studies like that of the IHMA also found women had higher rates of obesity compared to comparable countries, which may be related to the greater difficulties they have in freely exercising.

Unfortunately, overweight children are more likely to grow into obese adults. The combination of growing prosperity, the pandemic and cultural preferences mean Bangladesh is especially at risk with regards to obesity, heart disease and diabetes. The World Health Organization estimates the prevalence of diabetes is likely to double in Bangladesh to almost 15 million people by 2045.

This also explains why NGOs previously concerned with malnutrition in the developing world are now having to pivot to combatting obesity. One example is the Swiss based organisation GAIN, which has run a programme called "Nourishing Dreams". A key part of the programme is "Eat Well Live Well" -- "Bhalo Khabo Bhalo Thakbo" (BKBT) campaign. Other notable organisations such as Save the Children and BRAC are also placing the problem of childhood obesity on its high priority list.

The pandemic has affected young people the hardest, hurting their education as well as their emotional and physical development. The problem of childhood obesity is the dark side of the country's successful development and rising income. Tackling it will require challenging some habits at the centre of the culture -- from the love of sweets, sedentary lifestyles and the staple of high calorie diets.

The writer is an Australian based psychiatrist, author of The Exotic Rissole, and founder of website www.bddiaspora.com.

Perfect prescription for diabetes by age 12...what kind of parent would do this to their kid?

Never mind, no answer needed.

Well coke is so popular in Bangladesh that I have seen child who are 6-7 months old also would like to drink coke if they sees it and it is very difficult to keep away from toddlers whenever they realize there is coke at home.

It is coming from garbage things like Maggi Instant noodles lazy mothers cook for their kids because they can't miss addictive Saas-Bahu Indian drama serials on TV.
Couldn't have said it better myself! :cheers:

Chubby toddlers are not resulting from fast food.

It is coming from garbage things like Maggi Instant noodles lazy mothers cook for their kids because they can't miss addictive Saas-Bahu Indian drama serials on TV.

These Instant Noodle things are full of cholesterol and salt (and Allah forbid, bad preservatives). Then you add sugary cola drinks and candy and no place in cities to actually play sports for kids. Kids sitting at home, playing games on cellphones.

The making of a disaster.
Do they watch Bengali dubbed?

Chubby toddlers are not resulting from fast food.

These Instant Noodle things are full of cholesterol and salt (and Allah forbid, bad preservatives). Then you add sugary cola drinks and candy and no place in cities to actually play sports for kids. Kids sitting at home, playing games on cellphones.

The making of a disaster.

Well, when I eat Maggi sometimes in the morning when mother is late in preparing breakfast so makes Maggi I eat it with omelette on top. A healthy, nutritious version.

Bless the wonders of "western" foot outlets all over South Asia. People take pride in eating at these and gorging themselves with processed food. Sweetened fizzy drinks and high fat content add to obesity statistics. Also, in South Asia, not only is consuming fast food considered a sign of "progress", but also of upward mobility. Another inferiority complex, among many others, that bless our region.

*cough cough, very South Asian biryani*

Sad. The effort of irrational and unquestioned advertisements on TV and YouTube whether direct or through product placements in things like cricket match boundary boards. Overt and subtle brainwashing.

Pakistani kids are hustlers.

Post the video of your cousins (or nephews?) fighting so they can get an idea

Why is this Lastofthepatriots chap always in a fighting or aggressive mood in every thread he frequents ? If he's such a "hustler" let him and his cousins and / or his nephews overthrow the Capitalist and regressive background societal system in Pakistan and bring in a progressive revolutionary setup. Will he do it or is that too much of an ask ?

eating drinking is south Asia Olympics competition even in china the lil princes are over fed by parents who think more is better.

Published on 05:10 PM, January 26, 2022

Childhood obesity: Dark side of rising income​

Obesity is increasing in Bangladesh's younger generation's younger generation

Tanveer Ahmed

The pandemic has had a terrible impact on children, especially their education, among those living in the developing world. But just as it has accelerated trends that already existed such as digitisation, it has exposed the worrying problem of childhood obesity.

A global study conducted by the British government's National Child Measurement Programme this year found the highest increase in childhood obesity during its entire 15-year history. What is especially relevant for Bangladesh is that obesity has traditionally been a marker of excess in rich countries, but in 2018 almost half of all children who fall under the classification of overweight were living in Asia and another quarter in Africa.

Being overweight is measured as those whose body mass index is between 25 and 30, whereas above 30 one is called obese.

The pandemic and the effects of lockdown has only worsened such trends. School closures, restrictions on leaving the house and greater limitations on meeting friends have led to more sedentary lifestyles. All parents will not be surprised by the multiple studies which found children were spending between three to six hours a day more on screens during the height of the pandemic.

Watching the pictures of pandemic life in Bangladesh from afar, a typical picture was that of children in balconies holding the metal rails looking out into the distance. This is a far cry from my childhood memories of Dhaka or village life where children ran around chasing animals or steering moving tyres with sticks.
A 2015 study from the US based Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation linked to the University of Washington found the proportion of overweight in Bangladesh had doubled in the 33 years -- from 1980 to 2013. Childhood obesity had also increased considerably but at a lower rate than adults and also more slowly than some neighbouring countries such as Pakistan and Bhutan.

"Obesity is an issue affecting people of all ages and incomes, everywhere," said Dr Christopher Murray, director of IHME and a co-founder of the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) study. "In the last three decades, not one country has achieved success in reducing obesity rates, and we expect obesity to rise steadily as incomes rise in low- and middle-income countries in particular, unless urgent steps are taken to address this public health crisis."

This is one of the curious aspects of obesity in countries like Bangladesh that are becoming richer.

Carrying a few extra kgs has historically been a status symbol -- given that for most of history we have lived amid scarcity. A big belly signalled wealth. The opposite is now true in rich countries, where it is the poor that tend to eat cheaper, high calorie food, do less exercise and have higher rates of obesity. Being overweight in a country like Australia or Britain now signals low status.

But these social transformations take time. I have observed newly arrived relatives who have moved to Australia taking pride in being able to afford soft drinks without having to worry about the costs. While some relatives were growing up, such luxuries were bought only as a treat. But the greater wealth that can arise from migrating to the West, at least in time, is often initially spent on enjoying an abundance of high calorie food.

This is compounded by a culture that is regarded as having the sweetest tooth in the world. The syrupy, sweet delights of shondesh, roshogolla or jilapi are no doubt delicious, but they are among the most concentrated sugary desserts in any country. It is also likely that a culture where alcohol does not feature openly tends to prize such desserts for enjoyment.
Migrants from countries like Bangladesh, India and Pakistan have three times the rate of obesity and associated condition such as diabetes and heart disease when they move to the West. This is because they continue to eat fatty, high calorie foods but in greater quantities. Both men and women from such groups are also less likely to exercise.

Unfortunately such trends are no longer limited to those who have moved overseas and are occurring in Bangladesh as the middle class grows. Studies like that of the IHMA also found women had higher rates of obesity compared to comparable countries, which may be related to the greater difficulties they have in freely exercising.

Unfortunately, overweight children are more likely to grow into obese adults. The combination of growing prosperity, the pandemic and cultural preferences mean Bangladesh is especially at risk with regards to obesity, heart disease and diabetes. The World Health Organization estimates the prevalence of diabetes is likely to double in Bangladesh to almost 15 million people by 2045.

This also explains why NGOs previously concerned with malnutrition in the developing world are now having to pivot to combatting obesity. One example is the Swiss based organisation GAIN, which has run a programme called "Nourishing Dreams". A key part of the programme is "Eat Well Live Well" -- "Bhalo Khabo Bhalo Thakbo" (BKBT) campaign. Other notable organisations such as Save the Children and BRAC are also placing the problem of childhood obesity on its high priority list.

The pandemic has affected young people the hardest, hurting their education as well as their emotional and physical development. The problem of childhood obesity is the dark side of the country's successful development and rising income. Tackling it will require challenging some habits at the centre of the culture -- from the love of sweets, sedentary lifestyles and the staple of high calorie diets.

The writer is an Australian based psychiatrist, author of The Exotic Rissole, and founder of website www.bddiaspora.com.

Well coke is so popular in Bangladesh that I have seen child who are 6-7 months old also would like to drink coke if they sees it and it is very difficult to keep away from toddlers whenever they realize there is coke at home.

Coke is just part of the problem. In South Asia we are addicted to fatty foods as well. Everything is deep-fried for 'taste' purposes.

There are desserts in Bangladesh which are made with nothing but condensed milk and "soybean" oil (Palm olein flavored with chemical additives to fake taste/smell). Anytime I see these, I am thinking how much of the clogging will happen to my arteries which has no remedy. Heart-arterial blocks in Bangladesh are quite common by age 35~40.

Do they watch Bengali dubbed?

Naw - most of them understand Hindi from watching Hindi movies. For that matter a lot of them watch Pakistani serials too as Urdu is similar to Hindi.

Any statistics to compare?

We might be too poor for all these luxuries of the prosperous Bangladesh

I don't know - situation may be the same, which is to say, equally bad.

Talking about kids in urban settings...

This reminds me of South Indian neighbors in NYC, every f-ing night
I mean every night

Some really smelly, Stinky,spicy curry food they used to make, I swear Hitler could use that smell to torture jews and they'd probably prefer the gas than that smell

Thank God I stayed in NYC for just a year, after that got a house so I don't have to smell that wierd crap

Bangladeshi food outside of fish is not as smelly or spicy compared to other SC region, if anything it can be a little bit too much on the sweeter side
But yeah fish can be bad

It's bad in big cities cause of apartment culture
Who ever asked to smell fish? Ask your doctor how beneficial fish is to human health and brain. No wonder that sheep-eating Khottas are brainless half-sheep.
Oh! How delicious is fish and how good it is that Khottas do not eat fish. This why we can eat fish cheap.

Who ever asked to smell fish? Ask your doctor how beneficial fish is to human health and brain. No wonder that sheep-eating Khottas are brainless half-sheep.
Oh! How delicious is fish and how good it is that Khottas do not eat fish. This why we can eat fish cheap.
I guess I offended you even though I genuinely didn't mean to, my bad -sorry
Point me what exactly offended you and I'll delete it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom