What's new

Notify PAF Aircraft Crashes

Brave pilot
November 16, 2011

A JF-17 fighter jet of the Pakistan Air Force crashed near Attock recently. In his attempt to save a residential area, the pilot of the plane ejected from it when it had reached very close to the ground. Unfortunately, his parachute didn’t open and he lost his life. The question is: why didn’t the parachute open? The JF Thunder is a state-of-the-art aircraft and any kind of technical malfunction in the plane is shocking.

I personally knew the late Squadron-Leader M Hussain. We had met on the Eid day only. He was such an energetic young man. I feel sorry for his family, especially his little children. I request the PAF authorities to ensure thorough checking of all aircraft before flights to avoid such accidents.

Faheem Ullah

Kamra

Brave pilot

The probable cause was that the brave pilot stayed in the aircraft too long before ejecting, the plane was inverted, and altitude was so low, that the parachute deployed, but was enable to stop terminal velocity.

DUBAI: JF-17 crashes in Pakistan's Kamra

By: Greg Waldron Dubai

A Chengdu/Pakistan Aeronautical Complex JF-17 fighter aircraft operated by the Pakistan air force has crashed shortly after taking from Kamra air base, killing the pilot, an industry source said.

The PAF confirmed that the aircraft was flying at low level and crashed shortly after takeoff on 14 November. The lost aircraft was due for induction into the PAF's third operational JF-17 squadron. This is the first known crash of the aircraft.

The incident came as China and Pakistan mounted a major sales push for the JF-17 at the Dubai air show. This is the JF-17's first major international air show since Farnborough in 2010. The aircraft missed Paris this year owing to political instability in Pakistan.

this wili 'delay' the induction of the 3rd JF-17 squadron till they fix the 'fault'

Great job.

Though crash isin't the topic here, 26th Squadron crew confirmed about the crash to be a bird-hit.

It happened a few minutes after take-off. A bird got sucked in the intakes. The Thunder was in the area of civilian presence, so Squadron Leader Mohammed Hussain Shaheed tried his luck to divert the jet towards a nearby hill. He then informed the control tower and ejected. Due to low height and angel of ejection, the parachutes failed to open and he was found 3KM away from the crashed jet.

This was new Thunder made at Kamra for third Squadron.

Anyways, around only 30 jets (18 of them newly induced 3 months ago) and 10,000 sorties is a huge job!

6baf6d5cbaf8e0807bbacbb587f43dbc.jpg

I was looking at that but was going to hold back on gthe discussion until we get more info ... ... and also a single event is not very reliable to form a statistic.

The info online says the Gripen had done 150,000 hours in March 2011 with 6 airframes lost. That is 25,000 hours per crash.

The 10,000 hours given for the Thunder are for the inservice fleet. I.e. just the 38 or 40 planes in the PAF. That excludes the development hours in China. I would like an estimate of that. Even if we say 2,500 (I don't have a clue), they we have 12,500 hours per crash.

How does that compare with other planes? I need to find out.

Gripen had an early loss at Paris Airshow. How manys hours had it flown by then?

Thanks.

As of May 2010, five Gripens were destroyed in crashes, two of them before the delivery to the Swedish Air Force. These aircraft included one prototype, one production aircraft and three in service with the Swedish Air Force. In addition, one aircraft was lost in a ground accident during an engine test, for a total of six hull losses. No lives have yet been lost in accidents with the Gripen. Gripens have been involved in a few aviation incidents also.

It's also worth noting that unlike PAC, SAAB has decades of fighter designing and building experience with classics like Draken and Viggen under it's belt

So tail number was it?
It must be remembered that the 08 tails do NOT have the MB-16 yet.

Rest in Peace Brave solder .. Have to honour the ultimate sacrifise people do for their Nation.

birds can be dangerous to gas turbines, and more for the single engined fighters like JF17, F16 , Mig 21,27 ect...

Let's wait for the investigation matters and conclusion by official statements later. At this moment, we don't know the whole reasons. The detail report will be available within two months or so.

Parachute not working in this state of the art JF-17, serious?

Official events of a crash do not come into the public , more often than not. A crash is labelled due to technical failure and pilot error almost all the time, the real error is something else.

BTW, congrats to the Thunder and the development team and the pilots and most of all, the engineers striving to keep this machine airworthy.

I believe it was a new airframe, working up for the third squadron.

In that case, Martin Baker are about to get some customer feedback..
although the seat did work, so whose responsibility was the chute?

In that case, Martin Baker are about to get some customer feedback..
although the seat did work, so whose responsibility was the chute?

Correct me if i am wrong but isn't the chute part of the integrated mechanism. ??!!

Correct me if i am wrong but isn't the chute part of the integrated mechanism. ??!!

It should be.. But the checks on it, safety pins.. etc.
Who did that?
Or who made the chute? which company?
MB does the seat only.

It should be.. But the checks on it, safety pins.. etc.
Who did that?
Or who made the chute? which company?
MB does the seat only.

You are the man....i was waiting/hoping for your input on the issue/incident. :)

Back
Top Bottom