What's new

No 17 ''Tigers'' Squadron First To Re-Equip With JF-17 Block-3

the recent movement of F-7's to Pindi area might be part of this upgrade?

It's really interesting that PAF has chosen to replace the PGs instead of the Mirages first. I thought we would be keeping PGs on for at least another 10 years.

PGs we inducted in mid 90s whilst some of the ROSE MIrages are from 1970s. So seems PAF deems them more worthy and will hold onto these. If PGs go then (apart from combat trainings sqds) that really is the end of the F-7 in PAF service. Ultimately my gut feeling is that it's lack of range sealed it's fate
Actually PG should go first
I said that here on this forum years ago.

There design life is 20 years..so PG will run out of life soon. And will need overhaul

So would we overhaul PGs or just get rid of them and continue servicing just mirage 5

The answer is obvious

PAF will keep mirages(by continous oveehauling and canabilization) and will get rid of PGs and FT-7s as F-7Ps are already gone

Actually PG should go first
I said that here on this forum years ago.

There design life is 20 years..so PG will run out of life soon. And will need overhaul

So would we overhaul PGs or just get rid of them and continue servicing just mirage 5

The answer is obvious

PAF will keep mirages(by continous oveehauling and canabilization) and will get rid of PGs and FT-7s as F-7Ps are already gone
The dynamics of what gets replaced will be changed if and when we get the J10Cs in number. I agree that PAF intends to keep the mirages in their niche role as a SOW platform, in which role it appears to be in a class of its own. PGs may well go earlier if upto 60 J10s join us Most Ps appear to have been retired barring a few in CC. I suspect as we ramp up production of JFT we will see retirement of older non upgraded Mirages as well.

It cost $800k to convert a F-4 to a QF-4 drone. So it wont be cheap.

They're very advanced. What we need is catapult mounted F-7s, with landing gear removed, for rocket assisted take off and a one way mission.

It's really interesting that PAF has chosen to replace the PGs instead of the Mirages first. I thought we would be keeping PGs on for at least another 10 years.

PGs we inducted in mid 90s whilst some of the ROSE MIrages are from 1970s. So seems PAF deems them more worthy and will hold onto these. If PGs go then (apart from combat trainings sqds) that really is the end of the F-7 in PAF service. Ultimately my gut feeling is that it's lack of range sealed it's fate
F-7PG were inducted around 2002 when F6 were retired.

They're very advanced. What we need is catapult mounted F-7s, with landing gear removed, for rocket assisted take off and a one way mission.
Each of those items will still incur a cost - the least resistance method is to have a control unit for the aircraft which is likely to run $40000 in total without labor and the training.

A Rocket launch will also expense items along with giving the hint away that this isn’t a normal flight.

You also need a command structure and the ability to deconflict airspace when these are airborne. They wont have any useful offensive range “simulation” unless carrying at least one drop tank so all that fuel cost adds up.

It is doable and probably may have good use besides combat in being a QF-7 drone for the PAF to use for live fire tests

View attachment 786620

Reportedly, First Pakistan Air Force squadron to be equipped with the PAC JF-17A Block III is No. 17 ‘Tigers’ Air Superiority Squadron, stationed at PAF Base Peshawar, a part of the Northern Air Command.
First PAC built JF-17 Block III has already completed its maiden flight. A whole squadron is on the assembly lines right now. Induction will start in first quarter, 2022.
F-7PG's are being replaced??

Back
Top Bottom