What's new

New global lineup lists India as 3rd most powerful nation

Indian Gurkha

Reaction score
Country
India
WASHINGTON: Recognising India's growing clout in the world, an official US report on global governance here declared the country the fourth most powerful nation/bloc behind the US, China and the European Union.

The new global power lineup for 2010 compiling the world's most powerful countries/regions recognised India as the third most powerful country behind the US and China, and predicted that its clout as well as that of China and Brazil would further rise by 2025.

"Global Governance 2025" -- a follow-on to the NIC's 2008 report - was jointly issued by the National Intelligence Council (NIC) of the powerful Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the European Union's Institute for Security Studies (EUISS).

In 2010, the US tops the list of powerful countries/regions, accounting for nearly 22 per cent of the global power.

The US is followed by China (more than 12 per cent), European Union (more than 16 per cent), India (nearly eight per cent), and less than five per cent each for Japan, Russia and Brazil.

According to this international futures model, by 2025 the power of the US, EU, Japan and Russia would decline while that of China, India and Brazil would increase, even though there would be no change in this listing.

By 2025, the United States would still be the most powerful country of the world, but it would have a little over 18 per cent of the global power.

The US would be closely followed by China (nearly 16 per cent), European Union (14 per cent) and India (10 per cent).

The report concludes that three effects of rapid globalisation are driving demands for more effective global governance -- economic interdependence, the interconnected nature of the challenges on the international agenda, and interwoven domestic and foreign challenges.

According to the 82-page report, more effective global governance is critical to addressing "threats such as ethnic conflicts, infectious diseases, and terrorism as well as a new generation of global challenges including climate change, energy security, food and water scarcity, international migration flows and new technologies," which are increasingly taking centrestage.

Complicating the prospects for effective global governance over the next 15 years, however, is the shift to a multi-polar world, particularly the shift in power towards non-state actors, it says. :victory::victory::chilli:

@Indian Gurkha... please also post a link to the new article whenever you quote any online media

Here is the link to the actual report.. Not very flattering things said about Pakistan though..

http://www.acus.org/files/publication_pdfs/403/Global_Governance_2025.pdf

I didn't find the report to be biased against Pakistan or any unflattering things being said about Pakistan. The only thing that Pakistani members may not like is bunching of Pakistan with failed and dangerous states like Zimbabwe, North Korea, etc
Then again, I did not read the report in detail, just skimmed through it so I may be wrong.

I wonder what they mean by this though

Many experts believe that conversely—and unfortunately—Western policy has often contributed to the hollowing out of institutions in fragile states, with Pakistan an example of a country where billion of dollars of support has often yielded counterproductive results.

yeh paisa bolta hain!! this had to happen. let's hope the day is not that far when india will be called 'numero uno'.. btw get ready guys for some good old rotten music recording clips called 'slums.. toilet.. poor.. kashmir'..:blah::blah::blah: good luck..

ahh things about Pakistan are just propaganda and India is still useless, im sure that is coming soon.

Or anything that is stated by any government or media must be true, going by the logic you have used time and time again. I don't even know what page the stuff about Pakistan is on. Mind telling me the page?

Or anything that is stated by any government or media must be true, going by the logic you have used time and time again. I don't even know what page the stuff about Pakistan is on. Mind telling me the page?

I don't think there is any specific page number. Just use the search option when you open the file in Adobe reader and type Pakistan in search ;) :tup:

yeh paisa bolta hain!! this had to happen. let's hope the day is not that far when india will be called 'numero uno'.. btw get ready guys for some good old rotten music recording clips called 'slums.. toilet.. poor.. kashmir'..:blah::blah::blah: good luck..

lolzzz just waiting for that to start :P

but that standards nothing in this world is true, well thats another argument in itself. Info about Pakistan is on multiple pages, please search for Pakistan using Find.

Use Command + F or CTRL + F depending upon your OS to find out.

Anyways this is not a media or government release although it wont make an iota of difference to your views. You have made up your mind before reading or for that matter downloading the report. I guess your friend from ISI must have kept you updated.

Prejudices are what fools use for reason - Volatire.

Oh please. It only mentioned what effects the collapse of Pakistan, Nigeria, and Bangladesh would have, along with migration to and from Pakistan. And they made their point even weaker by grouping Pakistan with Nigeria and Bangladesh, who are nowhere near any collapse. To suggest anything bad is being said is an VERY high overestimation. And that is putting it mildly. It's not even discussing Pakistan for the most part.

Use Command + F or CTRL + F depending upon your OS to find out.

Anyways this is not a media or government release although it wont make an iota of difference to your views. You have made up your mind before reading or for that matter downloading the report. I guess your friend from ISI must have kept you updated.

Prejudices are what fools use for reason - Volatire.

Big deal whether it's not media or government. Remember LSE report on accusations about Pakistan supporting ISI? Yeah, good example, that.

That's besides the point that it's saying nothing bad about Pakistan.

Simpletons such as you and desiman are present in quite high numbers across the border. Any report that supports your view - whether questionable (which it often times is) or not - must be true automatically. So when you say "You have made up your mind before reading or for that matter downloading the report. I guess your friend from ISI must have kept you updated.", I can turn that around to you as well. An example of that, again, is the LSE report.

Also, personally attacking me when nothing personal has been said to you is not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom