What's new

Nepal, Bangladesh more peaceful than India: Study

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Nepal, Bangladesh more peaceful than India: Study

Nepal, Bangladesh more peaceful than India: Study - Times Of India

TNN Jun 13, 2012, 01.39AM IST

NEW DELHI: The Global Peace Index (GPI) for 158 countries, released on Tuesday, claimed that the world was more peaceful in 2011 as powerful nations had austerity-driven defence cuts. However, India's rank slipped to 142 as compared to 137 last year, while Pakistan ranked 149.

The study, conducted by Australia and US-based Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP), said that some of the Saarc nations like Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh are more peaceful than India. Sri Lanka has moved up 27 positions — the emerald island's best show in GPI so far.
Ads by Google

The survey founder Steve Killelea, an Australian entrepreneur who had created the initial index six years ago, said that in the past 12 months India's relation with its neighbours has improved. "We expect this to continue for betterment of the entire region," he added.

The survey studied 23 indicators across 158 countries, ranging from measures of civil unrest and crime to military spending, involvement in armed conflict and ties with neighbours. The report claims that except the deterioration in West Asia, every other region in the world showed at least some form of improvement.

The GPI showed that for the first time, sub-Saharan Africa was no longer the world's least peaceful region, losing that dubious distinction to West Asia and North Africa in the aftermath of the "Arab Spring".

The Asia-Pacific region is the fourth most peaceful region in the world as its overall GPI score improved remarkably from last year. Bhutan experienced a robust gain in its GPI score and broke into top 20 for the first time, ranking 19th , thanks to the easing of the ethic-Nepali refugee crisis.

Sri Lanka will probably be the first nation to get developed in S.Asia.

Sri Lanka would have been in the most developed in South Asia within this time if they didn't have to face LTTE for long...at my very childhood I read in our school book that they had 99-100% literacy rate, we haven't been able to achieve that yet.

This report should have added another dimension, that is who's liable for the restlessness in SA. Unquestionably the answer is india...the rouge in the neighborhood messing things up one after one.

Sri Lanka would have been in the most developed in South Asia within this time if they didn't have to face LTTE for long...at my very childhood I read in our school book that they had 99-100% literacy rate, we haven't been able to achieve that yet.

This report should have added another dimension, that is who's liable for the restlessness in SA. Unquestionably the answer is india...the rouge in the neighborhood messing things up one after one.

Yeah completely agree. They should have also added another parameter to the study, called "Would Bangladesh exist today without India" or would the Bangladeshis (Bengalees) be completely raped and exterminated from Bangladesh thanks to the Punjabis in Pakistan :pop:

I sure would like to know the answer to that :P

Both of them are land-locked from three sides by India.:smokin:

Well obviously Bangladesh and Nepal are tiny nations compared to India.

Its better to compare a state of India to Bangladesh, would be more realistic.

Sri Lanka will probably be the first nation to get developed in S.Asia.

No doubt about it. SL is well on its way to becoming the next asian miracle. Sometimes I really get
envious of SL considering the pathetic state of my country. If BD keeps on going the way it is now
going for the next 10 years, SL will be giving us aid in 2021 just like malaysia.

No doubt about it. SL is well on its way to becoming the next asian miracle. Sometimes I really get
envious of SL considering the pathetic state of my country. If BD keeps on going the way it is now
going for the next 10 years, SL will be giving us aid in 2021 just like malaysia.

This is because Sri Lanka is not a religion based nation, so therefore it will be able to grow quicker then nations like Bangladesh and Pakistan.

Comparing india and pakistan can be digestable up to some extent but minnows like bangladesh and nepal ?

I dont know about Bangladesh, but Nepal is nowhere near as stable as the whole of India.
The political environment in Nepal needs a lot of improvement for national development.
These studies are pointless as they do not factor in the relative scale of population/area of each nation, and the diversity of the demographics.
However, if Bangladeshis get better sleep comparing with India, then by all means sleep well.
IMO, if these comparatively smaller nations were not more peaceful then something would be seriously wrong. Its like saying Andaman & Nikobar Islands are more peaceful than Sri Lanka.

Back
Top Bottom