What's new

My quest for the best biryani in Karachi.

really, Did not know that. I have been working out for a long time, and cross fit was a welcome change, Had fun for a few weeks there. Maybe it differs from location to location, the one me and my wife went to was run by medal winning taekwondo guys. Had fun with tire flips, and muscle ups there, those guys also helped my squat technique. Though have to admit, I like my current small little gym better. It's fun to workout with and around the pros especially during olympia and 212 frenzy...

Are you on bodyspace?

My opinion is few months of beginner classes in cross fit might help people trying to get in shape in to the routine. get the fibers firing thorough plyo's and power lifts. Although I did not go through that route- I went through the traditional akhada-gym. A clay ring in the middle of the gym... yep

I just googled bodyspace, so no I don't have one.

Well if you think you're okay, then all is well. But honestly some of the exercises they teach will cause long term harm. Squats, muscle ups and tyre flips are all OK if done properly.

What you did when you started, sounds like the perfect way forward. Go to a few experienced guys and get them to show you the ropes. Go to a smaller, more personal gym, more care is given to you when you are just starting out.

really, Did not know that. I have been working out for a long time, and cross fit was a welcome change, Had fun for a few weeks there. Maybe it differs from location to location, the one me and my wife went to was run by medal winning taekwondo guys. Had fun with tire flips, and muscle ups there, those guys also helped my squat technique. Though have to admit, I like my current small little gym better. It's fun to workout with and around the pros especially during olympia and 212 frenzy...

Are you on bodyspace?

My opinion is few months of beginner classes in cross fit might help people trying to get in shape in to the routine. get the fibers firing thorough plyo's and power lifts. Although I did not go through that route- I went through the traditional akhada-gym. A clay ring in the middle of the gym... yep

Well if you think you're okay, then all is well. But honestly some of the exercises they teach will cause long term harm. Squats, muscle ups and tyre flips are all OK if done properly.

What you did when you started, sounds like the perfect way forward. Go to a few experienced guys and get them to show you the ropes. Go to a smaller, more personal gym, more care is given to you when you are just starting out.

Bro, I have been working out for almost 15 years now.... :)

Helping out, you get the best tastes while cooking in a great social environment. Here we have around 70 moslem families who are here for approx 4-5 generations. The local mosque takes care of everything from wedding, funeral etc. you dont pay a single cent. I respect the community as they each contribute for wedding etc. no outside catering what so ever.

Huge pots put up and wood fires are started early in the morning. Since this is farming area, fresh sheep is used for first biryani and then a special salt pepper dried meat is cooked to accompany the biryani. Here, potatoes, and some dried brown lentils are also added to the biryani. Everything is locally grown except for rice. Lot of paprika and peri-peri is used. It is thai jasmine rice that is used as basmati is difficult to get here unless u are in johannesburg.

Very very delicious together with yellow rice with raisins. I dont like the yellow rice though.

Pak biryani is different from indian or others... Heck even in Pak we have different "variants" from different regions...

But the common thing is that we don't put veggies or lentils in it.

I joined a gym quite later on, in my college days, I was quite the Kabbadi player.

I joined a gym quite later on, in my college days, I was quite the Kabbadi player.
you know, I really used to like kabbadi back in school and jr college, it's a very under-rated sport.

you know, I really used to like kabbadi back in school and jr college, it's a very under-rated sport.

Agreed. It really deserves wider recognition. I fully endorse CM (Indian) Punjab's efforts to take it to the Olympics.

Recently heard that about 1.5 months ago Mateen has been sold and seems that they are moving to Lahore-Isl-Rwp and may be Gwadar too. But many small and medium businesses are closing very fast in Karachi. Don't know about big ones.

Pak biryani is different from indian or others... Heck even in Pak we have different "variants" from different regions...

But the common thing is that we don't put veggies or lentils in it.
Noted. Some families do some dont.

A close reciepe to what I have observed when we cook is similar to this:

Indian Delights A Book Review - Food like Amma used to make it

Here we get different types as well. Cape Malay is very different.
Easy Cape Malay Biryani Recipe | How to Make Mutton Masala Breyani & Best Traditional South African Recipes for Dinner

Mind you, if you ever visit our country, we have local chains which beat regular foreign franchise e.g. Nandos which is originally from Johannesburg, Chicken Licken, Steers etc - just forget KFC/Pizza hut rubbish. You know it is different when you get Chicken Licken with mango achar - yes, very very hot mango pickle instead of hot sauce.

Normally the sheep is slaughtered early in the morning before the process begins. Becase of the volume, fermented butter milk which is widely available in 1litre packs is a staple here. We put that in instead of yogurt.

Last edited:
I am a food lover and also like Biryani a lot like all others. I also have tried Biryani from a lot of places but your quest was very appreciatable. I like your interest in Biryani.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom