What's new

My quest for the best biryani in Karachi.

Biriyani is the best, I have a Bangladeshi friend from school and his parents run a few fairly successful restaurants here which are rated quite highly. Really nice biriyanis, they dont have the fancy names that ones above do but they look just as good if not better, full of chicken/lamb/prawns etc with decent amounts of vegetables and of varying spices, prefer the mild food myself as I can appreciate the base flavours.

Alot of restaurants in the UK though that serve biriyani often put an omelette on top of it, its so strange, I really dont understand why they do that..its not bad as who doesent like egg but it seems out of place, any pak/Indians ever experienced that?
the Indonesian nasi goreng comes served with a fried egg on top and it works great. Never seen an omelette or fried egg on a biriyani but they do put a hard boiled egg in it sometimes.

A good biriyani is not easy to prepare.. It's like a work if art. The rice gas to be perfectly cooked.. With an optimum mixture of oil and moisture.. The flavours and the aroma should tease your senses and not just be dumped to ravage them.. The meat cannot be small and rubbery.. Tender and large chunks of mutton.. Mmm... Juicy..

Also, for the benefit of the author of the article. Hunger distorts our ability to judge good food. So, being too hungry is and jumping onto a biriyani is not advisable. It can either shatter our hyped up impression or make it appear otherworldly..

Biriyani is the best, I have a Bangladeshi friend from school and his parents run a few fairly successful restaurants here which are rated quite highly. Really nice biriyanis, they dont have the fancy names that ones above do but they look just as good if not better, full of chicken/lamb/prawns etc with decent amounts of vegetables and of varying spices, prefer the mild food myself as I can appreciate the base flavours.

Alot of restaurants in the UK though that serve biriyani often put an omelette on top of it, its so strange, I really dont understand why they do that..its not bad as who doesent like egg but it seems out of place, any pak/Indians ever experienced that?

If you're talking about boiled eggs, then the Malabari/Kerala Biriyani (South of India) is prepared like that.
DSC_0863%5B10%5D.jpg

However, if its an omlette, then I'm sorry..

Last edited:
The quest begins with Saddar Restaurants:
I began by exploring the heart of Karachi, downtown Saddar, where I found the dozens of famous eateries serving up biryani.

Aside from the novelty of eating on metal plates in hot open rooms with smog for company and screaming minibus drivers for entertainment, even the most famous of these offerings were merely acceptable at best.

My first stop was at the most famous biryani franchise in Pakistan, Student Biryani. As it turned out, this was the second most disappointing biryani I’d consume in Karachi.

If biryanis were predators, then Student Biryani would be like that poor old toothless lion; living in the glory of his past and waiting to be put out of its misery. A good biryani isn’t necessarily spicy, but Student’s offering simply lacked flavor. What’s more, it was the victim of mass production, tasting almost rubbery in nature.

Somewhat less disappointing was Karachi’s other such franchise, Biryani Centre. Here, both the rice and meat were better cooked than what Student Biryani was selling, yet the food was still ho-hum.

5524df83985e9.jpg

Biryani from Biryani Centre.— Photo courtesy: Biryani Centre's website
With established clienteles, it all but seemed that the big biryani franchises in Karachi weren’t keen on selling exceptional food.

Thankfully, the biryani by the Karachi Foods franchise stood above its peers. Although heavy on both grease and spice, their hot plate of biryani stood apart from Student Biryani and Biryani Centre in terms of taste, freshness, and quality of its ingredients.

After trying other merely adequate biryanis from restaurants such as Indus Foods and Jeddah Food Centre, I decided it was time to return to my ‘burger’ roots and sample more biryanis by ordering from home.

Biryani of the Seas:

My first Biryani of the Seas (BOTS) experience at their restaurant was a disappointment. The rather pricy signature prawn biryani lacked freshness, and was only remarkable in how it set fire to the roof of my mouth.

A few weeks later I ordered a single serving of the BOTS prawn biryani through the delivery service Eat Oye. Shockingly, the quality of this biryani was even worse than what I had eaten at the establishment.

5524b3b38a660.jpg

BOTS's Prawn biryani.—

The rice was dry, broken, and had clearly been prepared several hours before delivery. Meanwhile, the falsely advertised ‘prawn’ was in actuality little pieces of overcooked hard tiny bits of shrimp that was scarce in quantity. At this point I couldn’t recall a single biryani I had had more appalling than this. Paying the price of Rs275 for a single (not even double), plate of this ‘food’ felt like a violation.

Considering the BOTS reputation, it is possible that I was unlucky, but I can only judge what I was served. If their best wasn’t ready, they should have refrained from accepting money for substandard biryani. Leftover food should be discarded, not sent to the customer.

RATING: 0 stars out of 5.

Daily Dubai Restaurant:

Following the worse biryani I had ever consumed I cleverly decided to take a gamble and experiment with a biryani of unknown potential. This from Daily Dubai cost Rs220 for a double plate. As it turns out, it wasn’t a clever idea at all. In hindsight, even walking into a bear cave covered with honey would have been more clever.

I was starving after what had been a long day. I was so hungry in fact, that my pet cats were starting to look good, so it was fortunate for them that the Eat Oye delivery came in on time.

The moment I took out the biryani, two strong scents greeted me immediately. The smell of burnt food, and the smell of black pepper. I tossed some of the food on to a plate and the greasy rice came out in clumps. Daily Dubai Restaurant had used so much oil for this biryanithat I half expected them to be liberated by the United States of America in the name of freedom (as the meme goes).

5524b428d35ce.jpg

Biryani from Daily Dubai Restaurant — Photo by author

In spite of my hunger I was in a quandary; the food looked incredibly unappetising.

I glanced at my cats. They wisely hid under the bed.

A couple of spoons of biryani later I realised the food was overcooked, devoid of salt, and carried countless bits of whole black pepper that exploded under my teeth with every bite. The use of black pepper was such that it overpowered the rest of the meal. I wondered if someone had played a prank on the chef and mislabeled all of his seasonings.

5524b4283779d.jpg

Daily Dubai Biryani— Photo by author

In an effort to give the biryani a fair shake I sliced a piece of chicken and my fears were confirmed when the meat tasted both tough and dry.

Having only consumed a few spoons my throat was painfully sore. To make matters worse there was little else to eat at home. The evening only grew more tragic when one of my cats disappeared soon after.

RATING: -1 stars out of 5.
Where did you go for student buryani? Was it saddar the original or a franchise like in choti market defence phase 1. It shouldnt matter but it does. 8 out of ten times the buryani I get from franchise is awful . But on the rare occasion I had one of the best buryanis from student buryani . You might question why I still went there if 8 out of ten eas a bad experience. Well I live nearby and when I cant finf anything else , its I,ll give it a try one last time . Also friends swear by the fact that if you go to saddar the original shop the quality is way much better and its five out of ten .
Also I havent tried buryani of seas but a cousin is a die hard fan of it
Have you tried food centre buryani? A kashmiri friend while studying medicine at food centre for lunch and dinner literraly dsily. He said it was the best he had not even in delhi did he find a better buryani .

where is Telefood biryani ? is it some restaurant and where it is located ? tell me i am starving:D

The biryani was unfortunately delivered in a box with an image of a woman’s bare foot on it, which considering that I didn’t have a fetish, was in danger of killing my appetite.

:lol:

the chefs behind The White Biryani had concocted an unassuming lookingbiryani that made love to my senses rather than aggressively ravage them in the backseat of a car.

eesh, such a wrong analogy.

This was a biryani that made me question how I defined biryani itself. It was modern, innovative, and boldly subtle for a dish that has a reputation for excessiveness.

hmm... a invention, this white biryani.

and i like foods, especially biryani, to look clean, and this new dish is all that.

and ghazi, isn't this the second time this article has been posted??

i help at times with the communal cooking when my friend calls me to assist.

:tup:

the author didn't go to burns road? or what about Chandni Chawk's (Right opposite Alamgir Trust, Sharfabad) epic mutton danda biryani? clearly he is a defense wala who haven't seen the world

There are so many good biryanis, he have not tried.

Super Biryani
food center ki Biryani

okay all these commercial biryanis ie super biryani,food center etc are pathetic...a decent enough option is United biryani @ bhadurabad....and if you want super crazy biryani that will give your mouthgasm try Hajiani kitchen,garden kitches and Anees biryani only made on order

:lol:

eesh, such a wrong analogy.

hmm... a invention, this white biryani.

and i like foods, especially biryani, to look clean, and this new dish is all that.

and ghazi, isn't this the second time this article has been posted??

:tup:
Helping out, you get the best tastes while cooking in a great social environment. Here we have around 70 moslem families who are here for approx 4-5 generations. The local mosque takes care of everything from wedding, funeral etc. you dont pay a single cent. I respect the community as they each contribute for wedding etc. no outside catering what so ever.

Huge pots put up and wood fires are started early in the morning. Since this is farming area, fresh sheep is used for first biryani and then a special salt pepper dried meat is cooked to accompany the biryani. Here, potatoes, and some dried brown lentils are also added to the biryani. Everything is locally grown except for rice. Lot of paprika and peri-peri is used. It is thai jasmine rice that is used as basmati is difficult to get here unless u are in johannesburg.

Very very delicious together with yellow rice with raisins. I dont like the yellow rice though.

Last edited:
Off topic. i asked my friend's wife if they would consider using a premade biryani mix. We have a few local mixes that are now available. Of course she does everything from scratch, she said they are terrible and best is your own home made that is handed down from grand mothers.

I had a few biryani in Fordsburg, an enclave in Johannesburg which has many eating places run by outsiders. Some are good but others are just so-so. Nothing beats what we get at weddings here across South Africa and Botswana.

Helping out, you get the best tastes while cooking in a great social environment. Here we have around 70 moslem families who are here for approx 4-5 generations.

i must ask, how many muslims you know or see are in the old-style anc??

in fact, what are the changes in the anc from the pre-90's??

The local mosque takes care of everything from wedding, funeral etc. you dont pay a single cent.

ah.

I respect the community as they each contribute for wedding etc. no outside catering what so ever.

they can go even simple... a simple islami wedding which need not have more than five people, including the bride and groom.

Huge pots put up and wood fires are started early in the morning. Since this is farming area, fresh sheep is used for first biryani and then a special salt pepper dried meat is cooked to accompany the biryani. Here, potatoes, and some dried brown lentils are also added to the biryani. Everything is locally grown except for rice. Lot of paprika and peri-peri is used.

sounds a idyllic life but of hard work.

It is thai jasmine rice that is used as basmati is difficult to get here unless u are in johannesburg.

i didn't know of jasmine rice... thanks for telling.

Very very delicious together with yellow rice with raisins.

raisins sounds good.

do they put almonds??

I dont like the yellow rice though.

then you will like the white biryani from the first page... it really is a innovation.

for me, i don't mind the yellowing but i don't like too much of vegetables which spoil the dish's looks.

also, i like the meat to be prepared separately and not steamed with the rice, because the meat will turn out to be half-cooked which i find difficult to digest.

the author didn't go to burns road? or what about Chandni Chawk's (Right opposite Alamgir Trust, Sharfabad) epic mutton danda biryani? clearly he is a defense wala who haven't seen the world
I liked food centre biryani. Used to live near burns road. Will definately try mutton danda biryani.
Have you tied biryani at pakistan chowk thats quite good as well .

okay all these commercial biryanis ie super biryani,food center etc are pathetic...a decent enough option is United biryani @ bhadurabad....and if you want super crazy biryani that will give your mouthgasm try Hajiani kitchen,garden kitches and Anees biryani only made on order
Will try united biryani . Also whats the minimum order for these kitchens and if you could give adress even a general idea of where they are located. Food centr biryani is quite good as compared to other establishments . Quite a few kashmiri friends studied with me at dmc and being kashmiri their staple was biryani . So it ws literally food centre biryany seven days a week for them , not me

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom