What's new

Muslim Punjabi Tribes and their origins

Some of your content is not true,arhia is not in Syria it is near jeroshilum and now is in Palestine,arains were mostly Jews and nosturic Christian,they didn't came with Mohammed Bin Qasim , they migrated though Iran to India, more importantly they are not Aryan origin hence not truly a domestic stock, Bhutoos are also arain add them to in your list, jats and saamat are the original inhabitants of Indus valley civilization hence can be called true Indians or locals or arya- Indians ,rest are all settlers or immigrants,

Bhutto are not arain, they are Rajasthani rajput who migrated to Sindh couple of centuries ago and were granted jagir by Mughals.

I have noticed that there is a very much interest of many members to discuss about Punjabi muslims so why not lets list and discuss Muslim Punjabi Tribes and their origins.

Arrains: Almost all of them are sunnis and they claim their descent from Syrian soldiers who migrated with Mohd. Bin Qassim from a town in Syria called Areeha ( in english "Jericho" ). Areeha was considered military district of Shaam region. It can be an exaggeration to their claim but one has to look into the research done about them. i read at wikipedia that there some people who think Arain are sub caste of rajputs but I think it is nonsense & some says that arains are persian origin race and Kambojahs are there closest cousins in this regard but again i dont know any kaamboj so i dont know their habits.

1. B blood group is common among them.
2. Most of them are sunnis muslims
3. Most of them live in Punjab and many of them are also living in Sindh
4. Mian, Chaudhry, Bhutta & Meher are common titles found among them
5. They dont have any sub tribes and castes.
6. They are small Landowners. Mostly grow vegetables ( in jokes people always talk about arrains and onions ) The place i mentioned in the introduction from where they originated it is called Areha in arabic and in English its called Jericho. I found out that the people there r into farming so may b there is a clue but then i can be wrong because many people in India are also into agri business too.
7. they are also famous to be in angry mood. ( an old sikh lady told me that Arain badday daadaay honday ne & when i told her that i am an Arrain she was like speechless and said pehle kyun nai dasyea ) i was laughing too.
8. They try not to marry into other tribes or castes but this is a trend of every tribe in Punjab or may i gues everywhere especially in muslim world. ( once a Syed Gillani girl told me that they tend to marry in Pathans and Rajputs and they see others including arrain as a low tribe)

This is what i have found so far please enlighten me with your knowledge of all other Tribes. It will be better if you tell some traits of the tribes as well thank you :)

At one hand you mention blood group and later on claim arains are from Syria or arabs when genetic tests have disproved this theory all together.

With all due respect, nearly every Pakistani Muslim tribe seems to have invented a story of being descended from Arab soldiers. Now I do not dispute that some may indeed be, but every single one of them..? Seeing the genetic results for the Pakistanis that have done DNA tests, I haven't come across a single one who we can say for certain has much "arab" ancestry.

It's sad because of this childish attempt to link themselves with others have made them forget their own glorious past.

P.S. Don't consider this an attack on the Arrain, most of the ones who claim Arab descent are in the same bracket, including the Awans from whom I come from.
Not all; only several.

Bhutto are not arain, they are Rajasthani rajput who migrated to Sindh couple of centuries ago and were granted jagir by Mughals.

At one hand you mention blood group and later on claim arains are from Syria or arabs when genetic tests have disproved this theory all together.

Another reason why Pakistanis should drop the so called ethnic titles of Sindhi, Punjabi, Pushtun etc. The people living in these areas are older and more diverse than what the so called quam parasts would have us believe.

Dogar is landholding punjabi braderi, British used to put them in jatt or rajput category. Some of them migrated from east punjab. Majority of them are muslims but some are also sikhs.

Sikh khalistani dogar

bhai-gurbacan-sg.jpg

Pak crickter Ayub dogar

146020.1.jpg

kabaddi player shahzad dogar

Pakistan-kabaddi-team-player-Akmal-Shahzad-Dogar.jpg

Brig-Yasub-Ali-Dogar-Retd-35-PMA.jpg
You'll also find the name Dogar amoungst the Turks.

You'll also find the name Dogar amoungst the Turks.

They likely have little to do with punjab dogars.

Another reason why Pakistanis should drop the so called ethnic titles of Sindhi, Punjabi, Pushtun etc. The people living in these areas are older and more diverse than what the so called quam parasts would have us believe.

These are language based identities more so then blood/braderi . In punjab if you keep aside outliers like christians/mussalis and pathan/baloch. The traditional rural land holding braderis of punjab like gujjars, arains, awans, jatts, rajputs are pretty much similar genetically and it shows they have been in punjab for lot longer then others.

Bhutto's are most likely from haryana, near Rajasthan. Most likely traders, not rajputs. More likely to be related to ancient Indus valley civilization.

Gujjars like Jatts are landlords. In fact there is a saying that Gujjars and Jatts share the same nani. We also both use the title "Chaudhry" to signify status. We are able to harvest crops for wheat and animal feed.

Even today most Gujjars are farmers by heart, gujjars living in villages have atleast one buffalo. Same can not be said for rajputs, arains, and lohars.

Arains i believe migrated into the region, therefore they do not have alot of land. The land they do have is used for vegetables. Arains as the OP said, are expert vegetable growers.

Last edited:
But bhuttos migrated from Rajasthan because its recorded, no one knows from where else before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhutto_family

The older sindhi tribes are sammas and soomra.
Yes even earlier I had commented on this. At that time it was some indo pak hate discussion I guess, so didn't take it forward. Haryana has some influence from Rajasthan.
Bhutto's origin village might even have been part of Rajputana but now might be in haryana. From Rajasthan or Rajputana, people associate rajputs and anyone migrating from Rajputana became rajput. Also rajput might have been more acceptable during those times and culture.

Editlink
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20071230/nation.htm#2

Last edited:
Jats, Gujjars, Rajputs and to some extent Maliks( Awans, Khokars etc) are all races who invaded India in one age or the other, some from Turkik, some from Persian and some Central Asian basins. What I learnt from research is that it is a loose amalgalm of castes.

There were different dynasties in different eras, Rajputs Gujjars Jats were dominant in few over time, when ever an invading enemy was defeated and was thought to be of good quality martial blood that group was assimilated into larger caste as a ghotra or sub caste. Jats, gujjars and rajputs share many sub castes eg Bhatti, Khokar, Cheema etc So two subcastes in two different castes could actually trace their origins from same place but different timeline. Generally Muslim castes of Punjab originate from Arabs, Persians, Hapthalites, Khazars, Mongols, White huns and Syncithians.
Gujjars are only different as they had their own language, culture and dress.
Gojri (few speak it) generally because they stretch from Rajasthan To Afghanistan they speak from Rajasthani , Punjabi to Pashtu and Hindko(in Hazara KPK afghanistan)

Jats, Gujjars, Rajputs and to some extent Maliks( Awans, Khokars etc) are all races who invaded India in one age or the other, some from Turkik, some from Persian and some Central Asian basins. What I learnt from research is that it is a loose amalgalm of castes.

There were different dynasties in different eras, Rajputs Gujjars Jats were dominant in few over time, when ever an invading enemy was defeated and was thought to be of good quality martial blood that group was assimilated into larger caste as a ghotra or sub caste. Jats, gujjars and rajputs share many sub castes eg Bhatti, Khokar, Cheema etc So two subcastes in two different castes could actually trace their origins from same place but different timeline. Generally Muslim castes of Punjab originate from Arabs, Persians, Hapthalites, Khazars, Mongols, White huns and Syncithians.
Gujjars are only different as they had their own language, culture and dress.
Gojri (few speak it) generally because they stretch from Rajasthan To Afghanistan they speak from Rajasthani , Punjabi to Pashtu and Hindko(in Hazara KPK afghanistan)
At least Jats never invaded India. They just migrated later than gujjar and rajputs.

At least Jats never invaded India. They just migrated later than gujjar and rajputs.
No, they invaded ,there was no mass migration. It was all prior to Islam was spread by Sufi Saints. Jatt are historically more closer to origin to Gujjars than Rajputs. Origin is invading Hapthalites or White huns plus some hordes of Syncithians.

I have noticed that there is a very much interest of many members to discuss about Punjabi muslims so why not lets list and discuss Muslim Punjabi Tribes and their origins.

Arrains: Almost all of them are sunnis and they claim their descent from Syrian soldiers who migrated with Mohd. Bin Qassim from a town in Syria called Areeha ( in english "Jericho" ). Areeha was considered military district of Shaam region. It can be an exaggeration to their claim but one has to look into the research done about them. i read at wikipedia that there some people who think Arain are sub caste of rajputs but I think it is nonsense & some says that arains are persian origin race and Kambojahs are there closest cousins in this regard but again i dont know any kaamboj so i dont know their habits.

1. B blood group is common among them.
2. Most of them are sunnis muslims
3. Most of them live in Punjab and many of them are also living in Sindh
4. Mian, Chaudhry, Bhutta & Meher are common titles found among them
5. They dont have any sub tribes and castes.
6. They are small Landowners. Mostly grow vegetables ( in jokes people always talk about arrains and onions ) The place i mentioned in the introduction from where they originated it is called Areha in arabic and in English its called Jericho. I found out that the people there r into farming so may b there is a clue but then i can be wrong because many people in India are also into agri business too.
7. they are also famous to be in angry mood. ( an old sikh lady told me that Arain badday daadaay honday ne & when i told her that i am an Arrain she was like speechless and said pehle kyun nai dasyea ) i was laughing too.
8. They try not to marry into other tribes or castes but this is a trend of every tribe in Punjab or may i gues everywhere especially in muslim world. ( once a Syed Gillani girl told me that they tend to marry in Pathans and Rajputs and they see others including arrain as a low tribe)

This is what i have found so far please enlighten me with your knowledge of all other Tribes. It will be better if you tell some traits of the tribes as well thank you :)
Mera Ganday khayen bhara

All I know is Arain tend to be the most religious and their skin color tends to be very red.

Back
Top Bottom