What's new

Muslim Punjabi Tribes and their origins

Manidabest

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I have noticed that there is a very much interest of many members to discuss about Punjabi muslims so why not lets list and discuss Muslim Punjabi Tribes and their origins.

Arrains: Almost all of them are sunnis and they claim their descent from Syrian soldiers who migrated with Mohd. Bin Qassim from a town in Syria called Areeha ( in english "Jericho" ). Areeha was considered military district of Shaam region. It can be an exaggeration to their claim but one has to look into the research done about them. i read at wikipedia that there some people who think Arain are sub caste of rajputs but I think it is nonsense & some says that arains are persian origin race and Kambojahs are there closest cousins in this regard but again i dont know any kaamboj so i dont know their habits.

1. B blood group is common among them.
2. Most of them are sunnis muslims
3. Most of them live in Punjab and many of them are also living in Sindh
4. Mian, Chaudhry, Bhutta & Meher are common titles found among them
5. They dont have any sub tribes and castes.
6. They are small Landowners. Mostly grow vegetables ( in jokes people always talk about arrains and onions ) The place i mentioned in the introduction from where they originated it is called Areha in arabic and in English its called Jericho. I found out that the people there r into farming so may b there is a clue but then i can be wrong because many people in India are also into agri business too.
7. they are also famous to be in angry mood. ( an old sikh lady told me that Arain badday daadaay honday ne & when i told her that i am an Arrain she was like speechless and said pehle kyun nai dasyea ) i was laughing too.
8. They try not to marry into other tribes or castes but this is a trend of every tribe in Punjab or may i gues everywhere especially in muslim world. ( once a Syed Gillani girl told me that they tend to marry in Pathans and Rajputs and they see others including arrain as a low tribe)

This is what i have found so far please enlighten me with your knowledge of all other Tribes. It will be better if you tell some traits of the tribes as well thank you :)

Yar ye sab choro....koi muje Yousufzai Pashtun k barey me batado...Ye kon hain...In ka kia rasmo riwaj hai...In ka shajra nasab kia hain??? waghera waghera :(

Last edited:
I have noticed that there is a very much interest of many members to discuss about Punjabi muslims so why not lets list and discuss Muslim Punjabi Tribes and their origins.

Arrains: Almost all of them are sunnis and they claim their descent from Syrian soldiers who migrated with Mohd. Bin Qassim from a town in Syria called Areeha ( in english "Jericho" ). Areeha was considered military district of Shaam region. It can be an exaggeration to their claim but one has to look into the research done about them. i read at wikipedia that there some people who think Arain are sub caste of rajputs but I think it is nonsense & some says that arains are persian origin race and Kambojahs are there closest cousins in this regard but again i dont know any kaamboj so i dont know their habits.

6. They are small Landowners. Mostly grow vegetables ( in jokes people always talk about arrains and onions ) The place i mentioned in the introduction from where they originated it is called Areha in arabic and in English its called Jericho. I found out that the people there r into farming so may b there is a clue but then i can be wrong because many people in India are also into agri business too.
7. they are also famous to be in angry mood. ( an old sikh lady told me that Arain badday daadaay honday ne & when i told her that i am an Arrain she was like speechless and said pehle kyun nai dasyea ) i was laughing too.
8. They try not to marry into other tribes or castes but this is a trend of every tribe in Punjab or may i gues everywhere especially in muslim world. ( once a Syed Gillani girl told me that they tend to marry in Pathans and Rajputs and they see others including arrain as a low tribe)

This is what i have found so far please enlighten me with your knowledge of all other Tribes. It will be better if you tell some traits of the tribes as well thank you :)
@Moonlight

Arrain mostly came to punjab from Indian punjab. Some came before partition in different time frames and rest came at the time of Partition

With all due respect, nearly every Pakistani Muslim tribe seems to have invented a story of being descended from Arab soldiers. Now I do not dispute that some may indeed be, but every single one of them..? Seeing the genetic results for the Pakistanis that have done DNA tests, I haven't come across a single one who we can say for certain has much "arab" ancestry.

It's sad because of this childish attempt to link themselves with others have made them forget their own glorious past.

P.S. Don't consider this an attack on the Arrain, most of the ones who claim Arab descent are in the same bracket, including the Awans from whom I come from.

Yar ye sab choro....koi muje Yousufzai Pashtun k barey me batado...Ye kon hain...In ka kia rasmo riwaj hai...In ka shajra nasab kia hain??? waghera waghera :(
Ah man, my mum's a yousafzai dad's a Boraki khattak. I know about almost everything about my tribe Khattak, but close to zero about Yousafzais. All I know is that Khattaks and Yousafzais have shared a bitter history, and still got some sort of tension. Yousafzais and their allies are bit uptight with Khattaks and their allies (Afridi).

Khattaks are theorised to be descendants of Bani Israel, while Yousafzais are said to be descendants of Alexandar The Great. This makes sort of sense to me. Pure Khattaks have egyptian features (hairy, thick brows etc with brown to fair complextion) while Yousafzais (pure ones) tend to have fair complextions with Greek like features.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, specially on Yousafzais. I'm not well versed on my mum's side.

With all due respect, nearly every Pakistani Muslim tribe seems to have invented a story of being descended from Arab soldiers. Now I do not dispute that some may indeed be, but every single one of them..? Seeing the genetic results for the Pakistanis that have done DNA tests, I haven't come across a single one who we can say for certain has much "arab" ancestry.

It's sad because of this childish attempt to link themselves with others have made them forget their own glorious past.

P.S. Don't consider this an attack on the Arrain, most of the ones who claim Arab descent are in the same bracket, including the Awans from whom I come from.

except Rajputs and Jats.

Some of your content is not true,arhia is not in Syria it is near jeroshilum and now is in Palestine,arains were mostly Jews and nosturic Christian,they didn't came with Mohammed Bin Qasim , they migrated though Iran to India, more importantly they are not Aryan origin hence not truly a domestic stock, Bhutoos are also arain add them to in your list, jats and saamat are the original inhabitants of Indus valley civilization hence can be called true Indians or locals or arya- Indians ,rest are all settlers or immigrants,

do you have any knowledge about Dogars?
and i am talking about Punjabi Dogars not pahari Dogras

I am a Gujjar of the Khatana sect.....

As far as Gujjar orgin, I have heard many different things including being a branch of Huns, which invaded the northern Punjab region around 5th century ...

Or

A warrior clan around present day Kabul, that was pushed eastwards by the Huns around the 4-5 century...

Or

Gujjars used to be inhabitants of Georgia (Gurjia), who crossed Central Asia, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and the Khyber Pass to reach Gujarat probably in the 5th and 6th centuries.

Last edited:
I am a Gujjar of the Khatana sect.....

As far as Gujjar orgin, I have heard many different things including being a branch of Huns, which invaded the northern Punjab region around 5th century ...

Or

A warrior clan around present day Kabul, that was pushed eastwards by the Huns around the 4-5th century...

Or

Gujjars used to be inhabitants of Georgia (Gurjia), who crossed Central Asia, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and the Khyber Pass to reach Gujarat probably in the 5th and 6th centuries.
I have some friends from Gujurat who are Gujjurs. They are tall, strong and heavy build.

do you have any knowledge about Dogars?
and i am talking about Punjabi Dogars not pahari Dogras

Dogar is landholding punjabi braderi, British used to put them in jatt or rajput category. Some of them migrated from east punjab. Majority of them are muslims but some are also sikhs.

Sikh khalistani dogar

bhai-gurbacan-sg.jpg

Pak crickter Ayub dogar

146020.1.jpg

kabaddi player shahzad dogar

Pakistan-kabaddi-team-player-Akmal-Shahzad-Dogar.jpg

Brig-Yasub-Ali-Dogar-Retd-35-PMA.jpg

Some of your content is not true,arhia is not in Syria it is near jeroshilum and now is in Palestine,arains were mostly Jews and nosturic Christian,they didn't came with Mohammed Bin Qasim , they migrated though Iran to India, more importantly they are not Aryan origin hence not truly a domestic stock, Bhutoos are also arain add them to in your list, jats and saamat are the original inhabitants of Indus valley civilization hence can be called true Indians or locals or arya- Indians ,rest are all settlers or immigrants,
Jats were not part of Indus valley civilization. Their origin is claimed from eastern Europe to central Asia and downwards towards northern India. This is supported by the fact that jats have higher Caucasian genes compared to other north Indian or Pakistani ethnicities.
Very hard to map exact migration patterns though.

Back
Top Bottom