Most Americans okay with ethnic profiling: Poll

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Most Americans okay with ethnic profiling: Poll

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1939394.cms

NEW YORK: A majority of Americans approve of ethnic profiling at airports and subways to prevent terrorist attacks, a new poll shows.

The poll conducted by Quinnipiac University found 60 per cent of respondents believe that authorities should be allowed to single out people who look like "Middle Eastern" for security screening.

Only 37 per cent opposed it in the poll which has a margin of error of plus/minus three per cent.

As many 68 per cent of men supported and 37 per cent opposed profiling while in the case of women the respective numbers were 52 per cent and 42 per cent.

The poll, released Tuesday, found that 56 per cent believe that historians would consider September 11, 2001 terrorists attacks "more significant" than December 7, 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour.

A total of 62 per cent of Americans are "very worried" or "somewhat worried" that there will be another terrorist attack on the US in the next few months, while 37 per cent are "not too worried" or "not worried at all" the independent Quinnipiac University poll found.

But only 27 per cent of Americans have changed their lives as a result of the threat of terrorism, while 72 per cent go about their life as usual.

"The start of America's role in World War II pales next to what many call the start of World War III," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

Nearly 53 to 39 per cent, Americans disapproved of the job President George Bush is doing. A break up shows that Americans disapprove of his handling of war on terror overseas by 54 to 40 per cent but approve of his policies to prevent terrorism in US by 53 to 42 per cent.

And that is what we call a state of hyper paranoia.

It's this kind of things that makes the minorty feel left out, they feel that they are 2nd class citizens and someone form them does something really stupid by blowing up somethimg.

Let them stay with their paranoia.

I need not visit them.

Our Speaker refused to attend the Commonwealth meet for Parliamentarians because he refused to undergo the humility of being frisked even though he was invited as a guest!

But I am sure he is ready to be frisked and humiliated when he visits the US as a Private citizen, though I wonder why as a Communist he has to go to the US!

a7c8711581ee701831f4b7d2d7c975c3.jpg
A demonstrator wears a similar T-shirt at a New York protest in July

An architect of Iraqi descent has said he was forced to remove a T-shirt that bore the words "We will not be silent" before boarding a flight at New York.

Raed Jarrar said security officials warned him his clothing was offensive after he checked in for a JetBlue flight to California on 12 August.

Mr Jarrar said he was shocked such an action could be taken in the US.
US transport officials are conducting an inquiry after a complaint from the US Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.

JetBlue said it was also investigating the incident but a spokeswoman said: "We're not clear exactly what happened."

'Authoritarian regimes'

Mr Jarrar's black cotton T-shirt bore the slogan in both Arabic and English.

He said he had cleared security at John F Kennedy airport for a flight back to his home in California when he was approached by two men who wanted to check his ID and boarding pass.

Mr Jarrar said he was told a number of passengers had complained about his T-shirt - apparently concerned at what the Arabic phrase meant - and asked him to remove it.

He refused, arguing that the slogan was not offensive and citing his constitutional rights to free expression.

Mr Jarrar later told a New York radio station: "I grew up and spent all my life living under authoritarian regimes and I know that these things happen.

"But I'm shocked that they happened to me here, in the US."
After a difficult exchange with airline staff, Mr Jarrar was persuaded to wear another T-shirt bought for him at the airport shop.

"We Will Not Be Silent" is a slogan adopted by opponents of the war in Iraq and other conflicts in the Middle East. It is said to derive from the White Rose dissident group which opposed Nazi rule in Germany.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5297822.stm?ls

Ask that from the number of Profiled Americans, whether they like being profiled or not.

Of course the group that doesn't come under the same sort of checks would never have a problem as long as the other groups have to bear the burden.

A very stupid pole if you ask me.

If they profile everybody then understandable. If they gonna pick up all middle eastern, south Asian look alikes, America is gonna loose a lot in the longer run.

The WTC bomber was infact white and so are a lot other terrorists.

Of course they aren't opposed to it, the vast majority aren't the ethnicity being profiled. All it means for them is they get through check-in quicker.

look on the bright side..... you are not the original author :cheers:

Cool! But the feeling around natives here is " if you ain't done nothing wrong - who cares?"

Even being brown, I personally have never been profiled. I think it's how you present yourself in public.

I think if you already inwardly feel like you are a stranger, you will unknowingly reflect that outwardly. That is what they "see".

They profile Mexicans all the time - not for terrorism, but as being drug dealers or being illegal!

lol they are delayed too... About 1/20th of the time the rest of em are :)

For that much delay too they'd go on TV and act all patriotic "I don't mind going through extra security for the safety of the nation!" Wow! Almost like the whole airport should get into applause!

These same people would suing their own government if faced with the same problems and attitudes during these delays.

Heck who minds a little extra security since hey you're going to be safe too. Just as long as its not on my expense (it's okay to an extent), I'm gonna vote Yes too.

For e.g. Even though I know its good to be cautious with my own ethnic group, since even I'd fly safer... I don't want to be blamed for them, since I didn't do anything... The burden should fall on the airport, not me.

What if your "profiling" goes on for 10 hrs... and you have connecting flights in say 4 hours. You'd miss your flight. The airlines would be generous enough to give u a seat on the next flight but if its after 24 hrs, then what? where do u spend the night? They won't pay $200 for a night's stay and a pick n drop taxi service.

People who blindly say its OKAY to put others through this just arent aware of what's actually happening on the ground.

just arent aware of what's actually happening on the ground.

It may be a better thing to not be aware of what is actually happening on the ground than realising what is happening in the air.

Airports should have better facilties so that the stress factor is reduced.

Maybe wearing a T shirt "I am an Asian. Do I look like a terrorist?" would grab the attention and one would be checked earlier and so not have to have the long wait! :)

In the air lol...

Last year on a flight from Germany to America, a friend of mine told me that he was feeling really sick. Since he had checked in as a Muslim, the airhostess comes to him and is like "Here you go sir, here's your Muslim meal". He said he seemed like the only desi on the flight. When she mentioned Muslim the folks next to him were totally freaked out. Since he was sick he refused the meal. And then everyone was really freaked out, why he refused it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom