What's new

More than 150 people have died in Bahawalpur

Why on earth would someone expose themselves to that risk of flammable materials for petty small gains? This is such sad situation! RIP... our deepest condolences to the deceased and their families.
and people here in Pakistan are blaming their PM for the incident...sad indeed

Death toll is too damn high.
I am sure not all of them who dies were there for stealing.

RIP

jo bhi hua bbhot bura hua.......
#RIP.
is there any possibility of terrorists involved.
Because nowadays terrorists are using these types of means to cause damage...

Horrific tragedy. Lack of education and greed brought this incident to these departed souls.

RIP.

This is indeed a national tragedy and on the occasion of Eid no less. Having worked in oil industry all my life and personally experienced oil fire at Keamari during 1971 war, I am fully aware what devastation an oil fire can cause.

I heard the news early morning and have since been trying to piece together what actually happened. In my opinion the cause of this tragedy are manifold.

First & foremost is the lack of driving skill & maintenance of the tank lorry, had the lorry not overturned, nothing would have happened.

Second is the greed among the general population, the petrol belonged to the petrol station where the tank-truck was going, but after hearing that free petrol was to be had, resident of the nearby villages flocked to collect it. No different than looting the shops /houses during the riots? I would not blame it on poverty because being poor does not give one the right to pick up the things dropped on the street by someone else and keep it for personal use. This clearly indicates lack of ethics. Lack of education and ignorance about how inflammable petroleum products are, many others gathered close to incident site as if it was a game.

Fourth & final factor is the sheer callousness & the moral depravity of the political parties. PML-N gov’t has been in power in Punjab for the last 9 years. They have spent billions on the grandiose public schemes such as the Metro bus scheme, but can’t find money to provide medical facilities in the South Punjab towns so that more lives could have been saved. But who cares for the poor anyway. Life in Pakistan is cheap.

My heart goes out to the grieved but let us face it, the society at large, including me & the readers are all culpable. Why do they elect such greedy politicians who don’t give a fig for the health & education of the masses.

Last edited:
Horrible accident. Death by fire is worst.

Police need to be trained to cordon off tanker accident areas by at least 200m radius.

Its easy to dismiss saying that they were stealing oil but keep in mind that these were probably very poor rural folk who toil on someone else's land and survive on their generosity. It is very difficult to judge their actions based on our morality that is cultivated on a full stomach and plentiful access to all amenities of life.

On that note, as abhorrent as stealing is, I do feel sorry of them. They were cheated in life and cheated in death.

That's not the issue... it's the mindset people have.

Couple of months back I was travelling to gujranwala from RWP through GT Road and saw people
Stealing liquor from a turned over Murree Brewery truck.

They don't do it out of any nessecity but greed.

They didn't steal oil for their stoves either but for their bikes.
In the video they can be seen using bottles and buckets to steal/take oil..

They themselves put their lives in danger... knowingly.

RIP. To die is one thing, but to burn to death is even worse.

Perhaps they did it out of despair? like @KediKesenFare pointed out?

RIP.

They tried to take oil out of this tanker not because they are greedy; they did it because they are poor, unemployed and desperate. Think about it. Don't blame the victims. This is the responsibility of corrupt politicians who are stealing people's money instead of serving them.
Yes poor who risked their life to steal petrol worth a few hundred bucks to put in their bikes. As a member pointed out, how much could they have stolen? Worth at max a 1000 rs? Even saw people with small bottles and those with buckets... for what?

Looting shops or stealing oil is the same thing...

Stealing oil from an overturned truck for free oil to run your motor vehicles is much more stupid.

Last edited:
Yes poor who risked their life to steal petrol worth a few hundred bucks to put in their bikes.

Looting shops or stealing oil is born the same thing...

Stealing oil from an overturned truck for free oil to run your motor vehicles is much more stupid.
It is very stupid, but they still didn't deserve to be burned to death.
You will be surprised how greedy people can be in west.

It is little hard to be mad at someone who has been punished severely

RIP
When we were kids we read stories in our schools... greedy dog? The dog on the bridge who sees his reflection in the water... and jumps to grab the bone ---

It is very stupid, but they still didn't deserve to be burned to death.
You will be surprised how greedy people can be in west.
Nobody deserves to die.

But if somebody dies due to his stupidity and greed... it's just hard to feel sorry for him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom