What's new

Message by CAS PAF , Air Chief Marshal Zaheer Ahmed Baber Sidhu at Zuhai Air Show-2021

Why is he not reading from a prepared statement? Angraizi is certainly not the strongpoint of the incumbent CAS. While I don't put a lot of stock in spoken English, why not just speak in Urdu and have it translated?

While we can thank Zia sahib for the horrendous standards of written and spoken English, I experienced and saw through the stupidity of conversion to Urdu medium in Pakistan, but leaving that aside, why not just speak in Urdu and have it translated?

Why is he not reading from a prepared statement? Angraizi is certainly not the strongpoint of the incumbent CAS. While I don't put a lot of stock in spoken English, why not just speak in Urdu and have it translated?

While we can thank Zia sahib for the horrendous standards of written and spoken English, I experienced and saw through the stupidity of conversion to Urdu medium in Pakistan, but leaving that aside, why not just speak in Urdu and have it translated?

He’s probably a burger.

You apparently don't know much about our newest ACM or about the Pakistani leadership in general I presume.

In the URDU medium of Zia , much work was done in translation of science text books into urdu and many terms were translated and taught , which were not known or translated before.

His English is way better than the kind of English the Chinese speak in general

However, a proud nation only speaks in it's national language.

Chinese speak in their national Chinese language without speaking English

If the audience is Chinese, then why speak in English?

He should have spoken in Urdu and translated into Chinese

You apparently don't know much about our newest ACM or about the Pakistani leadership in general I presume.
I know a few things and a few individuals in leadership but that is not the point. My point is also not about people in uniform needing to become Shakespeares, and thus I say we should rely on our own vernacular (Urdu) instead of using English with poor expression.

My assertion about Zia sahib's Urdu medium was to drive home the point that when things are not done properly, you have the results that you see today. Someone was calling my attention to "science books" being translated in Urdu. I was in Pakistan in the 70s and 80s and saw firsthand the shoddy job around that. Unlike the Turkish experiment where scientific and technology related works are translated into Turkish continuously, no such efforts have been undertaken in Pakistan consistently. The result is our confused Urdu/English mix.

Given we don't translate well enough the technical content and that we don't teach English well enough, an inordinate amount of time is spent in the military academies and technical schools for the armed forces to teach people rudimentary angraizi. This has massive implications for our officers and troops when it comes to the application of technology etc. All the content on major weapon systems is either in English or has to be translated for the masses in the armed forces. That worked well for manuals, but then you have simulators and diagnostic systems that are entirely in English language. There is a whole chain of issues here but I won't bore the readers with it.

As such, either do Urdu right or learn angraizi better.

His English is way better than the kind of English the Chinese speak in general

However, a proud nation only speaks in it's national language.

Chinese speak in their national Chinese language without speaking English

If the audience is Chinese, then why speak in English?

He should have spoken in Urdu and translated into Chinese
The message isn't just for the Chinese but to the whole international audience. More important than the accent is the message which was clearly understood by all.

I know a few things and a few individuals in leadership but that is not the point. My point is also not about people in uniform needing to become Shakespeares, and thus I say we should rely on our own vernacular (Urdu) instead of using English with poor expression.

My assertion about Zia sahib's Urdu medium was to drive home the point that when things are not done properly, you have the results that you see today. Someone was calling my attention to "science books" being translated in Urdu. I was in Pakistan in the 70s and 80s and saw firsthand the shoddy job around that. Unlike the Turkish experiment where scientific and technology related works are translated into Turkish continuously, no such efforts have been undertaken in Pakistan consistently. The result is our confused Urdu/English mix.

Given we don't translate well enough the technical content and that we don't teach English well enough, an inordinate amount of time is spent in the military academies and technical schools for the armed forces to teach people rudimentary angraizi. This has massive implications for our officers and troops when it comes to the application of technology etc. All the content on major weapon systems is either in English or has to be translated for the masses in the armed forces. That worked well for manuals, but then you have simulators and diagnostic systems that are entirely in English language. There is a whole chain of issues here but I won't bore the readers with it.

As such, either do Urdu right or learn angraizi better.
It's due to the racism of Nationalist Balochi, Sindhi, Pushtoons .
They cry rivers about urdu being "imposed" on them while failing spectacularly to develop their language enough to be used for official and scientific work. At the same time creating hurdles against use of urdu as language of governance and stopping funds for organisations working towards it.
مقتدرہ اردو۔ was created by General Zia , an official organisation for transportation of British era paper work and government terminologies into urdu and was doing great. Then came "democracy " and funding was cut.
Then in May 2017 sassi palijo of PPP introduced clause 1 article 251 ammendment Bill which gives 7+1 national languages to Pakistan.
Urdu, Punjabi, Pushto,Balochi, Brahvi, Sindhi, Hindko, all recognised as national languages alongside urdu.
After that, no funding can be legally issued for just the promotion of urdu.

He's probably reading from two transparent teleprompters, hence his very obvious glances to the left and right. Poorly choreographed show, shoddy job by the PAF PR people.

I don't really care about how proficient he is with English, i would be concerned about how he reshapes the future of our Airforce specially in terms of R&D and Development.

Did you watch the video. His English is fine and most Pakistanis speak good English.

I thought more than the english his delivery left a lot to be desired. However he is a technocrat not a public speaker therefore it should not matter.
A

Nevermind the language.....What is the substance of what is being discussed.

Did you watch the video. His English is fine and most Pakistanis speak good English.
O Yaar, why would I comment if I had not seen the video? If you feel that angraizi expression is fine then good on you. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom