What's new

"Lost in Hong Kong" Hits Big Screens in China: 33 million US dollars for the opening day

AndrewJin

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Chinese director Xu Zheng's comedy film 'Lost in Hong Kong' has hit big screens in China on Friday.

By pulling in some 212 million yuan, or some 33 million US dollars, 'Lost in Hong Kong' has set the record as the all-time top-grossing film for the opening day in China.

The latest in 33-year-old actor and director's "Lost" franchise follows the story of a pair of strangers who bond after becoming involved in a series of stories in Hong Kong.

Xu Zheng also performs the leading role in this film, along with the all-star cast, including the award-winning actress Zhao Wei.

This is the second directorial feature of Xu Zheng, after the huge domestic hit 'Lost in Thailand', which has earned more than two hundred million US dollars in box office revenues.

With a budget of just 30 million yuan, 'Lost in Thailand' has been regarded as one of the most bankable Chinese films of all time.

The director is also preparing to shoot the newest film in the 'Lost' series 'Lost in India' this November.

4b4cd480882d4be8aa0834fc6f4d3fa5.jpg

@Chinese-Dragon @terranMarine @TaiShang @Shotgunner51 @Edison Chen @Jlaw @Keel @Martian2 @cirr @Yizhi @Dungeness et al

400 million yuan($63 million) so far
(4pm, the second day)

Last edited:
Jiong 囧
(as in Gang Jiong, the Chinese name for Lost in HK. Gang means HK)

屏幕快照 2015-09-26 15.36.04.png

cited from Wiki
Jiong (Chinese: 囧; Hanyu Pinyin: jiǒng) is a Chinese character originally meaning a "patterned window", "as bright as the light peering from outside the window", or simply "brightness".

0.jpeg

Internet emoticon
The character for jiong is nowadays more widely used on the Internet as an ideographic emoticon representing a range of moods, as it resembles a person's face. It is commonly used to express ideas or feelings such as annoyance, shock, embarrassment, awkwardness, etc.

The use of jiong as an emoticon can be traced to 2005 or earlier; it was referenced on 20 January 2005 in a Chinese-language article on orz. The character is sometimes used in conjunction with orz, OTZ or its other variants to form "囧rz", representing a person on their hands and knees (jiong forming the face, while r and z represent arms and legs respectively) and symbolising despair or failure. It has also come to represent a Zombie Protection Fort in text form when communicating virtually during a zombie apocalypse in some video games and other interactive multiplayer formats.

Popularity

Since 2007, the jiong character has been widely used in the Sinophone world, including mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan, but also used occasionally in languages written with Chinese characters, such as Japanese and Korean, as well as others that do not, including English.

u=4228064716,556543948&fm=21&gp=0.jpg

Last edited:
Box office of Lost in HK
463 million (73 million US dollars) so far
22:00, the 2nd day.

In three years' time, according to an article in Hollywood Reporter online, China is expected to take over as the world's largest film market. Already this year, the Chinese box office has pulled in $4.71 billion dollars (30 billion yuan), surpassing last year's total of 29 billion yuan. The article goes on to say that "The current total represents 48.5 percent growth over the same period in 2014 and puts China on track to hit $6.28 billion (40 billion yuan) for 2015, state news agency Xinhua said, citing the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SARFT)." It is expected the Chinese film market will overtake the North American market by 2018.

top-cinema-markets-outside-of-the-us-and-canada-box-office-sales-in-2013_chartbuilder.png

I watched this movie in cinema with 4K wide screen yesterday. This movie is a typical Xu Zheng style and I like it.

It deserves your money and have fun.

PS: It is the third film of Xu Zheng's 'Lost' series, 人在囧途(Lost in mainland:D) 泰囧(Lost in Thailand)

I watched them all. :cheers:

Last edited:
I watched this movie in cinema with 4K wide screen yesterday. This movie is a typical Xu Zheng style and I like it.

It deserves your money and have fun.

PS: It is the third film of Xu Zheng's 'Lost' series, 人在囧途(Lost in mainland:D) 泰囧(Lost in Thailand)

I watched them all. :cheers:
Me too, I watched it on Friday, 4k screen.
I like those nostalgic music.

I will watch Ghost Blows Out: The Nine-Story Demon Tower this afternoon.
It will be officially in cinema the day before National Day.
2015092116001830.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive numbers although there is still a lot of catching up.

Chinese companies should buy more screens around the world to facilitate domestic production.

That's not surprising since movie theater sales in the US have taken a dive since things like Netflix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , Video on demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia cable, and streaming internet movies have become popular.

View attachment 260543

View attachment 260544
In China, u just need 15yuan per month for membership of Youku.com, u get access to all Hollywood movies and soapies, 1080p, add-free. Legal resources.

If u wanna download blue ray, illegal free resources are everywhere online.

Watching oversea soapies without membership in legal websites is free, but u have to watch some advertisement.

In China, u just need 15yuan per month for membership of Youku.com, u get access to all Hollywood movies and soapies, 1080p, add-free. Legal resources.

If u wanna download blue ray, illegal free resources are everywhere online.

Watching oversea soapies without membership in legal websites is free, but u have to watch some advertisement.

Yep, 1080p was a killer for theater tickets. Now everybody has it in their homes as hundreds of channels support it.
Now 4K is starting to make inroads in home viewing.
DIRECTV 4K Video | Ultra High Definition | 1-855-856-4388
Amazon launches gaming and 4K streaming Fire TV update | Technology | The Guardian

Last edited:
Yep, 1080p was a killer for theater tickets. Now everybody has it in their homes as hundreds of channels support it.
Now 4K is starting to make inroads.
DIRECTV 4K Video | Ultra High Definition | 1-855-856-4388
Amazon launches gaming and 4K streaming Fire TV update | Technology | The Guardian
Which site do u usually go for a movie? I don't find any good movie in youtube.
China's movie/video sites have their own TV, so u can directly watch their movies on TV or download in the attached set top box.

Which site do u usually go for a movie? I don't find any good movie in youtube.
China's movie/video sites have their own TV, so u can directly watch their movies on TV or download in the attached set top box.

Personally I'm happy with 1080p with my fiber optic cable cable company.

Many people who are hardcore movie fanatics use Netflix (a pay service) for streaming since it has shows in 4K.
Amazon is trying to cut into that with their Fire 4K.

Others do the satellite route with DirectTV since it has some 4K stuff.

Impressive numbers although there is still a lot of catching up.

Chinese companies should buy more screens around the world to facilitate domestic production.
Yes.

Now only 1st tier and some of the 2nd tier cities have enough cinemas. In my city, there are 65 cinemas by the end of 2014. There will be over 30 cinemas open in the next 2-3 years in Wuhan. But in 3/4/5 tier cities and counties, the number is still small, the potential is huge.

For this Mid-Autumn/National Day season, there are a lot of good domestic movies in cinema, like Lost in HK and The Nine-Story Demon Tower,both will be at least 1-1.5 billion yuan movies. I have bought today's ticket for Nine-Story Demon Tower(3D), Bank of China Sunday special only 10yuan:p:. This movie is adapted from the first 4 books of best-selling tomb adventure novel series, Ghost Blows Out the Light. The fan base of this novel is huge, online views of chapters are several billion.

Personally I'm happy with 1080p with my fiber optic cable cable company.

Many people who are hardcore movie fanatics use Netflix (a pay service) for streaming since it has shows in 4K.
Amazon is trying to cut into that with their Fire 4K.

Others do the satellite route with DirectTV since it has some 4K stuff.
I would like to watch movies in youtube if they provide, membership fee is OK.
I have no interest to watch movie on TV.
A lot of overseas Chinese use VPN to get access to China's video websites which have copyright of hollywood movies and soapies only in mainland.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom