What's new

Latest Indian GDP data is FAKE. Heres why

I dont know about you fudged data but your seems to be growing as big as you *** so it is hard to tell difference where you were speaking from.

Just for info India gets as much aid as Pakistan and in recent years it has been more than Pakistan so looks like you people are even bigger beggars than us.
Net official development assistance and official aid received (current US$) | Data | Table

Do compare the data and slap your face or A$$ where ever you speak from

Aid in 2013

India: 2.4 billion $
Pakistan : 2 Billion $
:omghaha::omghaha:
Pakistani cherry picking lol, given Indian population is roughly 7 times of Pakistan its would be common sense to compare aid in per-capita terms.

Besides 2015 figures for India show $500 million in aid.

India_600x670.jpg

Last edited:

My friend a few things for your benefit

1. We are comparing quarterly figures Q2'14 vs Q2'15. Not Q3 and certainly not November.

2. You cant make a statement based on a data of a specific month as the aberrations are quite possible in that short frame of time. Yearly figures should be the least standard to make a meaningful comparison and analysis of the state of the economy.

3. Key word here is growth - The numerical amount would still be higher than the corresponding month of the preceding year.

Going by the formula-

C is not upto the mark- Hence reduction in interest rates- may be reduced further-
I is very good-
G is very good-
X-M is very good probably lowest in 5 years-

Main Indian imports were Coal and Oil- Now local coal blocks have been auctioned and mining will further reduce imports- Oil prices have dropped and will continue to drop- Gold which is another important import have less demand and price is also low- By 2017 import of coal will be limited to coastal thermal plants-

Export has also reduced as main export was petroleum by-product- whose prices have dropped due to drop in oil prices-

50% of Indian import has been coal and oil in recent years- also Gold makes significant portion of imports in $$$-

I am confused very much by all these contradicted figures, even not consistent among your own governmental statistics,

I quoted from one my earlier post, i hope someone can explian,

I have been calling Indian members familiar with econ to facilitate this forum with a breakdown of Indian growth. I don't see any contribution from you guys except bragging narratives.

Export is plummeting, Industrial output is downing, so I imagine your service sector and infra investment are skyrocketing, any numbers?

and yet,
Drop in public, private investments top concerns for growth: Rajan | business | Hindustan Times

So I suppose your average consumption doubled in this fiscal year. Indians become very rich suddenly, is that true?

Numbers do not add up. Modi should explain to people how the 8 percent growth come from to prove his integrity of telling the truth, before too many travels to waste tax money.

Source: Exports Fall by 45% Despite Modi's 30 Foreign Trips | Page 3

I am confused very much by all these contradicted figures, even not consistent among your own governmental statistics,

I quoted from one my earlier post, i hope someone can explian,

I have been calling Indian members familiar with econ to facilitate this forum with a breakdown of Indian growth. I don't see any contribution from you guys except bragging narratives.

Export is plummeting, Industrial output is downing, so I imagine your service sector and infra investment are skyrocketing, any numbers?

and yet,
Drop in public, private investments top concerns for growth: Rajan | business | Hindustan Times

So I suppose your average consumption doubled in this fiscal year. Indians become very rich suddenly, is that true?

Numbers do not add up. Modi should explain to people how the 8 percent growth come from to prove his integrity of telling the truth, before too many travels to waste tax money.

Source: Exports Fall by 45% Despite Modi's 30 Foreign Trips | Page 3

You are mixing unrelated data having negative implications to form a particular narrative but it doesn't work that way. Every data point has a slot where it fits and and GDP while dependent on the particular set of data points is not completely defined by those data points.

Further you have to look at the aggregate data for a year not a snapshot of a particular month to come to conclusions.

Yes there would be some days and month when the value added to goods and services would be lesser than last year due to local or external factors beyond the control of Govt but they dont tell the whole story.

Could you explain me how is it a troll post, I am asking my countrymen who have better Brain to counter enemy Patriot.

If you don't have a brain, which is not surprising, then don't take part in threads which require a basic minimum level of intelligence. And don't tag me unnecessarily, I am not your papa to come to your rescue if you get owned in a debate here.

As we all know yesterday India released its new GDP data. I was surprised at the 7.4% growth which it reported. It is impossible that India is growing at this rate when the world is slowing down. Here are 11 reasons why the number is fake:

1)
Exports have been falling eleven months in a row. In fact, between April and October 2015, exports have fallen by 17.6% to $154.29 billion, in comparison to the same period last year. Between April and October 2014, the exports had stood at $187.29 billion. A greater than 7% economic growth rate with falling exports is a little difficult to believe.

2) Corporate profitability continues to remain subdued. As a recent news-report in the Business Standard points out regarding the profitability for the period July to September 2015: “It was another muted quarter for India Inc, with aggregate profit growth at both the operating and net level growing at only under one per cent over a year-ago period. The sample is of 2,300 companies…The numbers are worse for the benchmark indices such as the Nifty, where operating and net profit are down between three-five per cent over the year-ago quarter, with aggregate numbers below expectations.”

3) Passenger vehicles sales, another good measure of economic recovery, have been subdued through most of this financial year, though there has been some recovery in October 2015, which doesn’t come under the July to September 2015 period, for which the economic growth number has been reported. Between September 2015 and September 2014, passenger vehicles sales went up by only 3.85%.

4) Motorcycle sales, a very good economic indicator in the Indian context, have fallen for most of the financial year, only to have recovered a little in October due to festival season sales. It remains to be seen whether the sales can be sustained for November 2015. Data from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (Siam) points out that motorcycle sales during the first six months of the year (April to September 2015) were down by 4.06% to 5.36 million units, in comparison to the same period last year.

5) Tractor sales have been falling for thirteen months in a row. Data from the Tractor Manufacturers Association shows that sales have fallen by 20% during the first six months of this financial year (i.e. April to September 2015). This is a clear example of weak agricultural growth.

6) The loan growth of banks continues to remain subdued. The sectoral deployment of credit data released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) shows that bank loans grew by 8.4% between September 2014 and September 2015. In fact, they grew by an even slower 8.1% between October 2014 and October 2015.

7) Along with this, the bad loans of banks continue to pile up. As a recent report in The Indian Express points out: “Already burdened by bad loans, 37 banks, led by public sector ones, have reported a 26.8 per cent rise in non-performing assets (NPAs) over the 12-month period ending September this year.”

The overall non-performing assets of banks as of September 2015 stood at Rs 3,36,685 crore. This was an increase of Rs 71,000 crore, according to numbers put together by credit rating firm CARE.

8) The number of stalled industrial projects went up during the period July to September 2015. As a recent research note by Morgan Stanley points out: “The stock of stalled projects climbed in the September quarter, while existing capacity is being underutilized. This has, not surprisingly, lowered interest in greenfield investments, with industrial credit loan growth stagnating in single-digits.” The bulk of the stalled projects belong to the manufacturing and infrastructure sectors. Further, there is a good anecdotal evidence to suggest that small and medium enterprises, a major source of job growth, continue to struggle.

9) The Reserve Bank of India governor Raghuram Rajan recently pointed out that factories were running 30% below capacity as of now. A research report by DBS points out that the capacity utilisation rate was at 80% in 2011-2012. This suggests a significant slack in the economy. How is manufacturing then growing by 9%, as suggested by the data released by the ministry of statistics and programme implementation?

10) The real estate sector, a major employer of people, continues to be in the doldrums, with new launches coming down and the number of unsold homes going up.

11) Further, for two years in a row India has had a deficient monsoon. In its end of season report, the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the nation’s weather forecaster, stated that “rainfall over the country as a whole was 86% of its long period average (LPA). Thus years 2014 & 2015 was the fourth case of two consecutive all India deficient monsoon years during the last 115 years.”
Dear Patriot, I can only feel sorry for you, you cant able to believe your best friends progress and growth.
Before giving any reply abt our fake nos. I take you back when India and pak separated. That time both were similar in economic GDP terms but Indian population was at least 4 times more. Means you were almost 400% average richer then an Indian. Now after 68 years what is the reality ? India's $2.182 trillion GDP Whereas Pakistan's $272 billion More then 8 TIMES LESSER. You are getting behind from equal Position to 8 times behind, WHY ? India is growing !!

BY 2050 India's economy will be 40 times larger than Pakistan That's Why whole World Behind India
Your own Media Words :

1) "Exports have been falling eleven months in a row. In fact, between April and October 2015, exports have fallen by 17.6% to $154.29 billion," now you believe this line because it is music to our ears ? Its true but India is not export driven country unlike china its Consumption driven GDP. It depends more on Internal consumption.

2) "Corporate profitability continues to remain subdued."
My economist friend profitability subdued due to high expenditure but there Revenue growth is Good, GDP depends on Revenue not profits. Chinese Companies also have high revenue and lower profits these days WITH HIGH GROWTH .

3) "Between September 2015 and September 2014, passenger vehicles sales went up by only 3.85%."
Totally Wrong check you source

India car sales rise 9.5% in Sept; rate cuts, new models to boost sales 6-8% this year : FIRSTPOST
India car sales rise 9.5% in Sept; rate cuts, new models to boost sales 6-8% this year - Firstpost

4) " Data from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (Siam) points out that motorcycle sales during the first six months of the year (April to September 2015) were down by 4.06% to 5.36 million units, in comparison to the same period last year."
Actual one is directly by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (Siam) website is "Two Wheelers sales registered a marginal decline of (-) 0.36 percent in April-September 2015 over April-September 2014." consedring Drought conditions still V good .
Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures
You Deserve lot of eggs on your face.

5) "Tractor sales have been falling for thirteen months in a row. Data from the Tractor Manufacturers Association shows that sales have fallen by 20% during the first six months of this financial year (i.e. April to September 2015)."
Can you provide any source of your claim as nowhere Tractor Manufacturers Association is claiming as you mentioned
India's Apr-Oct tractor sales jump 42.6 pct
Newswire
India's Apr-Oct tractor sales jump 42.6 pct | WardsAuto

6)
your own claim "bank loans grew by 8.4% between September 2014 and September 2015 only." 8.4% is low with what standards according to you ? Pakistan never in its dream can touch it.

Loan Growth from 2012 - 2015
Actual Previous Highest Lowest Dates Unit
9.70 9.40 18.70 9.30 2012 - 2015 percent
9.70 YEAR 2015.

I think it is already pretty much clear what Bull shit you mentioned .

6.9% growth? World laughing at this bad joke
Former central bank governor Dr Y V Reddy once quipped to me that while the future is always uncertain, in India even the past is uncertain, given how often the government revises economic data. Even by that standard, however, the dramatic upward revision of the GDP growth rate is a bad joke, smashing India’s credibility and making its statistics bureau a laughing stock in global financial circles.

The new and not-so-funny numbers show that the Indian economy grew at a pace of 6.9% in the last fiscal year, a claim that is fantastic in the extreme. Many Indian economists have set out to show that the new growth numbers for the economy as a whole simply don’t add up, as a sum of the parts. Every piece of data — from the tepid increase in corporate revenues to imports, credit, rail freight and auto sales — points to a much lower growth figure, probably closer to the old estimate of 5%.

Surprisingly, for a country obsessed with its GDP growth rate, there is not much outrage at this travesty, either in public or at cocktail parties. In the past, India’s habit of revising economic data was confined to relatively minor tweaks, but this latest update is a wholesale rewriting of history. In the international financial community, no one had questioned the veracity of India’s economic numbers, until now.

This makes India look bad even compared to China, which many analysts have long suspected of massaging GDP figures to show steady growth. But the same sceptical analysts admit that when China manipulates its numbers, it does so carefully and only when the actual growth rate falls below its official target, as it has of late. The authorities seem to know exactly what they are doing. India’s new GDP data clashes even with the pronouncements of some government and central bank officials, suggesting that the left arm doesn’t seem to know what the right arm is doing.

The whole episode is reinforcing the bad rap India gets for poor governance standards. To be sure, many emerging nations including Turkey and Nigeria have issued flattering upward revisions of their growth data in recent years, but generally without eliciting peals of laughter. Last year, Nigeria issued a revision showing that the economy was nearly twice as large as previously reported, but it was widely accepted because the new methodology was well explained and had the endorsement of the International Monetary Fund.

The IMF in fact recommends that, every five years, countries update the base year they use to calculate the pace of growth in the economy. The idea is to capture the impact of new growing industries, and Nigeria hadn’t updated its base year since 1990. India’s last revision came in 2010, so this one came on schedule. Only the statistics bureau clearly rushed it into print, without conducting even an elementary ‘smell test’ to ensure that the new numbers square with the reality on ground. One clear sign of the bureau’s haste to publish is the fact that it released revised data for only the last two years, making it impossible to see the long-term trend for India’s growth rate.

Nobody really believes that the Indian economy grew at anywhere close to 7% last year, and shockingly no one is willing to put an end to this nonsense. When India delivers its budget on February 28, officials are likely to claim that economic growth in the coming year will accelerate to around 8% — a figure based on the new series. A forecast based on dodgy numbers will only cast doubt on India’s claim to be the world’s fastest-growing large emerging market, though that claim could easily prove true in a couple of years, based on credible numbers.

At a time when the world economy has slowed to a pace of just 2.5%, close to the level that feels like a global recession, many analysts cite India as one of the few economies in which the growth outlook could brighten. If India’s growth rate accelerates, legitimately, from the current rate of around 5% to a rate of 6 to 7%, it will be widely hailed as a remarkable achievement, particularly when most emerging nations including China are slowing down sharply. Instead, serious analysts are left scratching their heads over the statistics department’s new data, and every story about India’s economy now includes at least a jarring footnote about its not-so-funny numbers. The government needs to resist the temptation to celebrate India’s economic success, based on this dubious data. The better part of political and economic wisdom would be to say that until more details are available, and until the new data meets more global standards, the government will continue to use the old series. Good governance is based on credibility, not a willing suspension of disbelief.

Since most here are calling the author of OP article "amateur", here is an interesting piece by an Indian professional.
Author: Ruchir Sharma- He is head of emerging markets at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.
6.9% growth? World laughing at this bad joke - TOI Blogs
Same way once you keep laughing on Chinese GDP growth now when you looks Tiny in front of chinese you realized. But the point is you never learned from you foolishness.
Go and check its TATA who is the biggest employer in UK.
Ignorant People Ignorant Talk !

How is China "export driven"?

According to the latest figures from the World Bank, exports only make up 22% of China's GDP, whereas exports make up 23.6% of India's GDP.

Exports of goods and services (% of GDP) | Data | Table - World Bank

Our exports seem like a lot because our overall GDP is large (around $11 trillion), but the vast majority of economic activity in China is domestic.

"
The State Council says the government will also expand consumer credit, improve the system of internet payments and study the management of credit card fees "to further reduce overall expenses" related to their use. It gave no details.

The government will crack down on price-gouging as well the sale of counterfeit goods, and prosecute monopolies and businesses engaged in unfair competition, according to the statement.

Top leaders have flagged a "new normal" of slower growth as it tries to shift the world's second-largest economy to sustainable, consumption-led development.

"

China's plan to boost domestic consumption | Morgans

Chinese govt want to diversify the export driven model. Majority of items produced in China do not benefit local populace to say the least. There were many reports during 2013-2014 end. Welcome to check out.

"
The State Council says the government will also expand consumer credit, improve the system of internet payments and study the management of credit card fees "to further reduce overall expenses" related to their use. It gave no details.

The government will crack down on price-gouging as well the sale of counterfeit goods, and prosecute monopolies and businesses engaged in unfair competition, according to the statement.

Top leaders have flagged a "new normal" of slower growth as it tries to shift the world's second-largest economy to sustainable, consumption-led development.

"

China's plan to boost domestic consumption | Morgans

Chinese govt want to diversify the export driven model. Majority of items produced in China do not benefit local populace to say the least. There were many reports during 2013-2014 end. Welcome to check out.

I think you misunderstood the article you quoted. Nowhere does it say China's economy is export driven.

The point is to move from an Investment-driven model to a Consumption-driven model.

Not exports which only make up 22% of GDP. Less than for India.

From your link:

"Signs of the sector slowing have been building up, as growth of both new orders and output has eased in each of the past four months," said Pollyanna De Lima, economist at Markit.

You do understand how these indices work right? Or you just posting links by the title?

October doesnt represent a whole quarter.

Dear Patriot, I can only feel sorry for you, you cant able to believe your best friends progress and growth.
Before giving any reply abt our fake nos. I take you back when India and pak separated. That time both were similar in economic GDP terms but Indian population was at least 4 times more. Means you were almost 400% average richer then an Indian. Now after 68 years what is the reality ? India's $2.182 trillion GDP Whereas Pakistan's $272 billion More then 8 TIMES LESSER. You are getting behind from equal Position to 8 times behind, WHY ? India is growing !!

BY 2050 India's economy will be 40 times larger than Pakistan That's Why whole World Behind India
Your own Media Words :

1) "Exports have been falling eleven months in a row. In fact, between April and October 2015, exports have fallen by 17.6% to $154.29 billion," now you believe this line because it is music to our ears ? Its true but India is not export driven country unlike china its Consumption driven GDP. It depends more on Internal consumption.

2) "Corporate profitability continues to remain subdued."
My economist friend profitability subdued due to high expenditure but there Revenue growth is Good, GDP depends on Revenue not profits. Chinese Companies also have high revenue and lower profits these days WITH HIGH GROWTH .

3) "Between September 2015 and September 2014, passenger vehicles sales went up by only 3.85%."
Totally Wrong check you source

India car sales rise 9.5% in Sept; rate cuts, new models to boost sales 6-8% this year : FIRSTPOST
India car sales rise 9.5% in Sept; rate cuts, new models to boost sales 6-8% this year - Firstpost

4) " Data from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (Siam) points out that motorcycle sales during the first six months of the year (April to September 2015) were down by 4.06% to 5.36 million units, in comparison to the same period last year."
Actual one is directly by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (Siam) website is "Two Wheelers sales registered a marginal decline of (-) 0.36 percent in April-September 2015 over April-September 2014." consedring Drought conditions still V good .
Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures
You Deserve lot of eggs on your face.

5) "Tractor sales have been falling for thirteen months in a row. Data from the Tractor Manufacturers Association shows that sales have fallen by 20% during the first six months of this financial year (i.e. April to September 2015)."
Can you provide any source of your claim as nowhere Tractor Manufacturers Association is claiming as you mentioned
India's Apr-Oct tractor sales jump 42.6 pct

Newswire
India's Apr-Oct tractor sales jump 42.6 pct | WardsAuto

6) your own claim "bank loans grew by 8.4% between September 2014 and September 2015 only." 8.4% is low with what standards according to you ? Pakistan never in its dream can touch it.
Loan Growth from 2012 - 2015
Actual Previous Highest Lowest Dates Unit
9.70 9.40 18.70 9.30 2012 - 2015 percent
9.70 YEAR 2015.

I think it is already pretty much clear what Bull shit you mentioned .

Same way once you keep laughing on Chinese GDP growth now when you looks Tiny in front of chinese you realized. But the point is you never learned from you foolishness.
Go and check its TATA who is the biggest employer in UK.
Ignorant People Ignorant Talk !

Thank you bro, I did not have the time to dissect everything point by point like you have done. Well done.

I think you misunderstood the article you quoted. Nowhere does it say China's economy is export driven.

The point is to move from an Investment-driven model to a Consumption-driven model.

Not exports which only make up 22% of GDP. Less than for India.

The article do not mention though. I was just reiterating my point that China wants to move to a consumption driven model.

India has a active domestic consumption model though our exports is very less.

DO I SENSE A FEAR BY PAKISTANI MEMBERS & ENVY

real fascination whislt the Pakistan GDP hovers at $270 billion the Indians are running at $2.3 trillion

I PREDICTED a few years ago that india would have TEN TIMES pakistrani GDP soon and eventually upwards of 15 times Pakistani GDP.

Some people are seriously *** burning hear.

LET ME EXPLAIN WHY THE INDIAN GDP is rocketing while the Western countries slow down and CHINA slows.

SMPLE FUNDEMENTAL ANSWER IS INDIA HAS THE LARGEST NUMBER OF YOUNG PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

THE WEST EUROPE JAPAN & CHINA HAVE an aging population .

Yoong people buy and spend money they want jobs and houses and THIS creates imports and exports.

FDI into india is risinmg

THE IT SECTOR EXPORTS HAS CROSSED $100 BILION

Pharmaceticals is rising

india made $6 billion from overseas health care ALONE

PAKISTANIS STOP LOOKING FOR EXCUSES sit back and watch INDIA RISE TO 4TH BIGGEST GDP BY 2025

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom