What's new

Kaveri engine successor soon ?

And just as a fan fact, A cracked in a engine blade or the axel will lead to a complete re-build of the engine. Fragments breaking off a blade is known to cause catestrophic failures. At those rpms edges of the blades extend a few mm longer and have surface temp of hundreds of degree centigrade. They are under a huge stress. Hence single crystal blades perform better than anything.
:tup:
That's what i was saying, crack starts at grain boundaries but in jet engine blades grains are oriented in one direction to avoid separation at boundaries.
Grain Boundaries & Different Grain orientation
les_matsci_surfacedefects_1.png

Grains oriented in one direction & no boundaries in between
cUNQxP0z.jpeg

:tup:
That's what i was saying, crack starts at grain boundaries but in jet engine blades grains are oriented in one direction to avoid separation at boundaries.
Grain Boundaries & Different Grain orientation
les_matsci_surfacedefects_1.png

Grains oriented in one direction & no boundaries in between
cUNQxP0z.jpeg
Not only that SCB also greatly increases the stiffness of the blade. This in turn reduce the flex in the horizontal and vertical plane. Thus helping in packing the engine tighter and improving its thrust rating by a fraction but still a noticable change.

Not only that SCB also greatly increases the stiffness of the blade. This in turn reduce the flex in the horizontal and vertical plane. Thus helping in packing the engine tighter and improving its thrust rating by a fraction but still a noticable change.

Well,it actually does not increase the strength or stiffness of the material. When gains of a material are aligned in one direction, then failure due to crack formation at grain boundaries is largely eliminated.

So, what strength we see is actual strength of material that is available to us now as structural defects are largely removed in grain orientation process.

Thus helping in packing the engine tighter
How can you say that?
Actually when I studied this process, the said information was not provided to us, so can't comment on that?

Well,it actually does not increase the strength or stiffness of the material. When gains of a material are aligned in one direction, then failure due to crack formation at grain boundaries is largely eliminated.

So, what strength we see is actual strength of material that is available to us now as structural defects are largely removed in grain orientation process.

How can you say that?
Actually when I studied this process, the said information was not provided to us, so can't comment on that?
Well if you know that your components are built using very high regard for quality and have very tight tolerance, you do not have to space them apart and include buffer areas. You can also design the system to be package such that only frequently required module are exposed and rest can be packed away inside with very limited access.

I am sure you have seen or worked on a steam turning. You know high effiviency turbines have extremely low tolerance. That comes when you know how every single component will behave under high temp and pressure. Plus lets not forget that these engines/turbines will be used in some of the harshest environment. Almost everything you don't want beside a highly engineered metal parts will find there way inside these. So yes a quality build blades do define how your system works and how big the system is.

FYI: Just compare the TTWR of various engines and you will understand.

Well if you know that your components are built using very high regard for quality and have very tight tolerance, you do not have to space them apart and include buffer areas. You can also design the system to be package such that only frequently required module are exposed and rest can be packed away inside with very limited access.

I am sure you have seen or worked on a steam turning. You know high effiviency turbines have extremely low tolerance. That comes when you know how every single component will behave under high temp and pressure. Plus lets not forget that these engines/turbines will be used in some of the harshest environment. Almost everything you don't want beside a highly engineered metal parts will find there way inside these. So yes a quality build blades do define how your system works and how big the system is.

FYI: Just compare the TTWR of various engines and you will understand.

You meant from close packing = Very close tolerance , I got some other idea of compact design.
Very-close tolerances are required as working fluid will air+fuel and engines will run at very high speeds.

I agree with idea of working in harsh environment that's why the Kaveri was Flat Rated in first place. :tup:

For quality part, i will say better designed or high quality of engineering helps in utilization of even inferior materials to max. possible extent.

, i will say better designed or high quality of engineering helps in utilization of even inferior materials to max. possible extent.
Isn't that what we are supposed to do...? Isn't it the moto of Indian engineers (apart from the copy past types....)

Isn't that what we are supposed to do...? Isn't it the moto of Indian engineers (apart from the copy past types....)
but it also require good investment and supervision for better engineers to give output, that is not available in india at required scale, so engineering ouput tend to suffer. :tdown:

Back
Top Bottom