What's new

Kaveri engine successor soon ?

controlling the UCAV short distance with a manned plane
like an AWAC ....... but then f-22 fits 6th gen defination you provided ........ are you systems engineer or network engineering is something else

like an AWAC ....... but then f-22 fits 6th gen defination you provided ........ are you systems engineer or network engineering is something else

Don't know about F22 but F35 is suppose to get the ability to control UCAV's. This is not baked in ability and it will be limited, pure Gen 6 might have this ability in their initial specifications thus not only will it provide better control but also better integration.

I am a network engg

threats are going to be same ...
Those old threats are now pretty unstable and on last legs.
In next 20-30 years those old threats will be just in name. They can't keep up to us anymore. :azn:
However new threats are emerging and will be there in foreseeable future.

yeah ............... the unnecessary things you can do when you have money ........ perhaps we'll best wait and watch ..... its not like kaveri project is much older .... i mean if india can stick to tejas for so long they are gonna stick to this for much long

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/kaveri-engine-successor-soon.440845/#ixzz4FMHAfclH
Its not like India has choice in the matter. Jet engine manufacture creates jobs. India needs it especially with the growing market in India and IOR. India has to make a break through. DRDO is not a RISK sector. They are public funded, even if they are incapable of building a SSN they will with enough money build an SSBN.
I don't know what the french will offer, since they TOO receiver the M88 tech from GE.
So perhaps they are subcontracting since GE is sending lic prod of F414?

Whatever happened to that engine some private Indian defense company was working on? There were talks that it was far more stable than the Kaveri.

we have an oracle here ........ tell me do i make into future ......... or do i have to die a virgin
No need to be oracle here.
You don't need to reply if you can't come with a better answer, I am no way forcing you.
Truth Hurts. ;)
but you know yourself the actual condition of those threats. :tup:

Whatever happened to that engine some private Indian defense company was working on? There were talks that it was far more stable than the Kaveri.
I don't think that Kaveri has any stability issue , it was thrust and relative weight issue that put it aside.
Am i missing something you can tell?:raise:

I don't think that Kaveri has any stability issue , it was thrust and relative weight issue that put it aside.
Am i missing something you can tell?
From what I hear, the Kaveri engine suffers from similar issues that Chinese engines do, they degrade far too quickly. More specifically, from what I've read, parts of the engine, in particular the blades, tend to crack under pressure. Normally, that wouldn't be too much of a problem, as even the F-35's current engine have had issues such as this, but the Kaveri (much like Chinese engines) have this issue at an unsatisfactory level.

Again, I'm just paraphrasing an Indian member here (forget his name, though I don't think he comes here anymore). From what he told me, the reason why the Kaveri has a thrust issue is precisely because if the engineers push the engine to do to much, it literally cracks under pressure, which is why it is under powered for the Tejas.

AGAIN, I'm not an expert here, I'm paraphrasing. If anyone can correct this information, please feel free to do so.

From what I hear, the Kaveri engine suffers from similar issues that Chinese engines do, they degrade far too quickly.
Maybe but still i was not not aware of this if it is true.

From what he told me, the reason why the Kaveri has a thrust issue is precisely because if the engineers push the engine to do to much, it literally cracks under pressure, which is why it is underpowered for the Tejas.
I completely disagree. Pushing engine means you are not an engineer anymore because you tend disregard FOS and other design considerations. I myself studied Turbines and compressors so can't agree with "crack under pressure" statement if engine is really designed by engineers.

There may be some metallurgical issues but as design engineer takes care of these well in design phase.

Maybe but still i was not not aware of this if it is true.

I completely disagree. Pushing engine means you are not an engineer anymore because you tend disregard FOS and other design considerations. I myself studied Turbines and compressors so can't agree with "crack under pressure" statement if engine is really designed by engineers.

There may be some metallurgical issues but as design engineer takes care of these well in design phase.
"engineer" was simply a way for me to generalize everyone involved in the project. In this case, it was probably the "metallurgy" that was the issue, but even then the point doesn't really change.

"engineer" was simply a way for me to generalize everyone involved in the project. In this case, it was probably the "metallurgy" that was the issue, but even then the point doesn't really change.
I meant to say engineer will design on basis of materials available on hand or will definately be available at time of production so that's why performance or thrust output is limited due to non-availability of required materials. However as designer will keep in limits of material, he will design up to safe limit like RPM,pressure etc so very less chance of cracking.

Do you know that material of turbine blade has its grains oriented in one direction to avoid failure due grain boundaries.

I think we both can arrive at conclusion that Kaveri was not utilised due to lower performance that required and shorter lifespan (Not due to cracking etc but due to failure in case of cyclic loading/fatigue). :tup:

From what I hear, the Kaveri engine suffers from similar issues that Chinese engines do, they degrade far too quickly. More specifically, from what I've read, parts of the engine, in particular the blades, tend to crack under pressure. Normally, that wouldn't be too much of a problem, as even the F-35's current engine have had issues such as this, but the Kaveri (much like Chinese engines) have this issue at an unsatisfactory level.

Again, I'm just paraphrasing an Indian member here (forget his name, though I don't think he comes here anymore). From what he told me, the reason why the Kaveri has a thrust issue is precisely because if the engineers push the engine to do to much, it literally cracks under pressure, which is why it is under powered for the Tejas.

AGAIN, I'm not an expert here, I'm paraphrasing. If anyone can correct this information, please feel free to do so.
Just to wet your toes, the main issue with Kaveri was the Sonic turbulence in the combination chamber which was causing unstable burn and hence the lower power rating. This was a design fault and could be handled by changing the geomertry of the combination chamber. Single crystal blades would further push the thrust rating as it improve blade performance at extremely high rpms. We heard something about this just b4 they decided to shelf Kaveri back then. We can now just speculate, if they have changed the combination chamber geomertry and metalurgy to reduce weight and improve thrust. Even if thrust rating is same but reliable for longer cycles it will be a break through for us.

And just as a fan fact, A cracked in a engine blade or the axel will lead to a complete re-build of the engine. Fragments breaking off a blade is known to cause catestrophic failures. At those rpms edges of the blades extend a few mm longer and have surface temp of hundreds of degree centigrade. They are under a huge stress. Hence single crystal blades perform better than anything.

Last edited:
the actual condition of those threats
it can be long deviating from the topic discussion ....... but dont want to ruin a productive thread so ........ all the very best against new threats .....

it can be long deviating from the topic discussion ....... but dont want to ruin a productive thread so ........ all the very best against new threats .....
:enjoy:

Don't worry other members are contributing well already.

However if you can provide some information about Kaveri issues, we are discussing. It will be good if you join :victory1:
Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4

:enjoy:

Don't worry other members are contributing well already.

However if you can provide some information about Kaveri issues, we are discussing. It will be good if you join :victory1:
Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4
nah i m busy trying to busy myself ........ plus i have to find new threats for Pakistan :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom