What's new

Kashmiri women are strictly forbidden from nose piercing

Shahmir

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We are punjabis of kashmiri origin and in our family it is "STRICTLY" forbidded for women folks to pierce their noses which is quite normal for all other punjabi tribes among whom we live in. I never understood this anomaly in our case but my mother told me that this is the defining feature of a "kashmiri" that their women will never ever pierce their noses. All the women in my extended family and relatives (all kashmiris) are without nose piercing.

Does anybody else also has such custom in their families or some knowledge regarding the background behind this particular custom?

Last edited:
We are punjabis of kashmiri origin and in our family it is "STRICTLY" forbidded for women folks to pierce their noses which is quite normal for all other punjabi tribes among whom we live in. I never understood this anomaly in our case but my mother told me that this is the defining feature of a "kashmiri" that their women will never ever pierce their noses. All the women in my extended family and relatives (all kashmiris) are without nose piercing.

Does anybody else also has such custom in their families or some knowledge regarding the background behind this particular custom?

We are Kashmiris too. I have never seen any woman in my family with nose piercings, not even weddings..

The parts of kashmiri culture which have been definitely preserved in my family are the following:

-Until the previous generation no one married outside the Kashmiri ethnicity. No one in my grandparents generation or older ever imagined marriage with a non-kashmiri. Even now most of us marry only Kashmiris.

-Rice is our staple food. No one in my nanyaal eats roti. Not even for lunch (in most Pakistani households roti is for lunch and rice is for dinner).

-Daal chawal is served at mehndi functions.

-We love eating! Especially meat!

-We always put meat in channa ki daal.

-The stereotype of Kashmiris in Pakistan is that they are fat and fair people. Whereas most people in my family, are extremely fair skinned (that part of the stereotype is true) but none of us are fat. We are all tall and slim (no matter how much we eat like crazy). My khala for example eats so much rice but she is extremely skinny. I have never seen someone so skinny in Pakistan. And she is in her late 40s or early 50s. And we have long noses. And most Kashmiris back in Kashmir are tall and slim people with long noses. I have never seen a Kashmiri in Punjab who fits that description though, except in my family.

-We drink kashmiri tea in winter.

-We sit on the floor with chadors and blankets and our backs against cushions on the wall and we eat dry fruits

-Women in my family wear LARGE earrings.

There is a very famous saying in our areas ; Never trust a"Kashmiri" :coffee:

@Armstrong

That saying was right - He'd take your women due to his suave & panache coupled with his dashing good looks & he'd take your job because of his immensely admirably level of intellect & confidence - So yes....never trust a Kashmiri & stay well clear of them ! :)

Or maybe you can just realize that these anecdotes & sayings are little more than the musing of some old people from 'your areas' who pitted themselves against Kashmiris & fell far....far too short & hence slung mud at them out of the bitterness of their failure ! :unsure:

And this nose-piercing thing is some new sh*t !

That saying was right - He'd take your women due to his suave & panache coupled with his dashing good looks & he'd take your job because of his immensely admirably level of intellect & confidence - So yes....never trust a Kashmiri & stay well clear of them ! :)

Or maybe you can just realize that these anecdotes & sayings are little more than the musing of some old people from 'your areas' who pitted themselves against Kashmiris & fell far....far too short & hence slung mud at them out of the bitterness of their failure ! :unsure:

Butt sahib dil pe kiyon laitay ho ? It is said about Kashmiri women basically :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

And this nose-piercing thing is some new sh*t !

apne mu se itna tareef acha nahi butt sahib :rofl:

Is it necessary for girls to get their nose pierced in Islam?

question : Is it necessary for girls to get their nose pierced in Islam?

answer:
i am from Bangladesh and I saw my mum and all the female relatives nose pierced. This is a tradition here for girls and ladies to pierce ears and nose, at least prior to wedding, enabling them to wear ornaments. I got the following from internet search:

Quote: "A hadith narrated by Muslim and Bukhari both in their Sahih have narrated a hadith about Umm Zar’ that praised her husband and said: “He has given me many ornaments and my ears are heavily loaded with them”. The prophet praising Umm Zar’ and not commenting on this part is telling us that the prophet peace be upon him saw nothing wrong with piercing the ears, and even loading them with earrings, therefore it is permissible to pierce the ears. As for the rest of the body, such as the nose, there are many cultures, including Muslim cultures as in Pakistan that do that and is not exclusive on fasiq (sinful) or kafir culture. So, if a sister comes from that culture it would not be harram, unless proven to have dangerous medical side effects.

As for the tongue, stomach, eyebrow and other body parts piercing. It is definitely the behavior of deviated groups, not to mention the medical side effects, therefore harram. Imitating deviated groups is not just in the piercing, but in any behavior. I ask Allah to protect us from any deviation, and deviations that have been made to seem as norms and “cosmetics”. Unfortunately many Muslims are now imitating gothics in the way they dress, not knowing that imitating a group means you are part of them, as the prophet peace be upon him said." Un-quote

You can get full details from the following links:

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_po...
Source:
http://ayshawazwaz.wordpress.com/2010/12...

tumblr_ml0pm0fEfn1rgf69jo1_500.jpg

What Is the Meaning of a Ring in the Nose? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Nose rings, which have symbolic meaning in Indian, African and some Muslim cultures, are gaining popularity in other areas of the world as well. In fact, in the United States, nose piercing may be seen as an act of rebellion against conservative values. Depending on where you live a nose ring can have different meanings -- such as the expressions of cultural values or a decoration to enhance your appearance.

History
In ancient India, the nose was meant for more than breathing and detecting smells. In fact, 6,000 year old Vedic Scripts and manuscripts mention nose piercing and nose rings. At that time it was believed that the nose was also involved with fertility. In the 1970s hippies who traveled to India learned about nose piercings and embraced the practice.

In other parts of the world, South Africa in particular, nose jewels are worn by the Berber and Beja to display their wealth. The Berber and Beja believe, however, that larger the jewel, the wealthier the family. As body piercing gains popularity, nose piercing is becoming more main stream.

Theory
Decorating the nose is also important because the ancients believed the sixth sense, which represents brainwave focus, is located just above the end of the nose. In India, brides wear nose rings or studs because they are attractive and imply that the bride is worthy. It is also believed that the nose connects with romantic, sexual and emotional feelings.

Significance
In Ayurvedic medicine nose piercing is associated with female reproductive organs. It is believed that nose piercing helps reduce periodic menstrual pain and discomfort and that it assures less pain during child birth.

Considerations
In India, the nose ring is an important part of the bridal costume and is worn in either the left or right nostril depending on where the bride is from. The nose ring is believed to enhance the bride's beauty in her husband's eyes. Nose rings, which may be decorated with fish, birds, jewels and pearls, are made of either gold or silver. It is not uncommon to see married Indian women of childbearing age wearing a small stud or stead in the left nostril of their nose every day.

Theories/Speculation
Nose piercings in Western cultures seem to be strictly for adornment purposes. There is no cultural or historical requirement or meaning such as in Indian, African and Muslim cultures. In the United States, nose piercing is more a modern fashion statement.

Last edited:
We are Kashmiris too. I have never seen any woman in my family with nose piercings, not even weddings..

The parts of kashmiri culture which have been definitely preserved in my family are the following:

-Until the previous generation no one married outside the Kashmiri ethnicity. No one in my grandparents generation or older ever imagined marriage with a non-kashmiri. Even now most of us marry only Kashmiris.

-Rice is our staple food. No one in my nanyaal eats roti. Not even for lunch (in most Pakistani households roti is for lunch and rice is for dinner).

-The stereotype of Kashmiris in Pakistan is that they are fat and fair people. Whereas most people in my family, are extremely fair skinned (that part of the stereotype is true) but none of us are fat. We are all tall and slim (no matter how much we eat like crazy). My khala for example eats so much rice but she is extremely skinny. I have never seen someone so skinny in Pakistan. And she is in her late 40s or early 50s. And we have long noses. And most Kashmiris back in Kashmir are tall and slim people with long noses. I have never seen a Kashmiri in Punjab who fits that description though, except in my family.

-We sit on the floor with chadors and blankets and our backs against cushions on the wall and we eat dry fruits

One thing you are right about the general physique of "pure" kashmiri that he is "seldom" fat, most of my family members also have slender body. And all the videos that I have watched on youtube about "kashur" speaking people of "kashmir valley" on youtube they fit into this description of being "slender" and rarely fat. So I do not know where this stereotype of kashmiris being "fat" comes from , we are among the top "slender" races of south asia and it is true about all other related "dardic" speaking people living in Gilgit or chitral too, you will hardly see any "fat" person among them.

And yes kashmiri women do give a lot of importance to "large" earings.

One thing you are right about the general physique of "pure" kashmiri that he is "seldom" fat, most of my family members also have slender body. And all the videos that I have watched on youtube about "kashur" speaking people of "kashmir valley" on youtube they fit into this description of being "slender" and rarely fat. So I do not know where this stereotype of kashmiris being "fat" comes from , we are among the top "slender" races of south asia and it is true about all other related "dardic" speaking people living in Gilgit or chitral too, you will hardly see any "fat" person among them.

Where in Kashmir is your family originally from? We are originally from Baramulla.

Does your family share the eating, pink tea, dry fruit, rice and meat obsession?

It comes from Kashmiris in Punjab, many of whom look fat and white like Nawaz Sharif.

There is a very famous saying in our areas ; Never trust a"Kashmiri" :coffee:
@Shahmir kashmir
As you seem to be so much into this kind of stuff , Can you tell us what is the reason behind it ??

@Armstrong

They do not say in Gujranwala where I come from so I do not know about any such stereotype. I think it depends on the area and the particular "type" of kashmiris living in those areas.

apne mu se itna tareef acha nahi butt sahib :rofl:

This guy "Armstrong" is a fake kashmiri character. I do not see anything kashmiri in his behaviour on this website. His behaviour resembles more with "stupid" sardar jees than any ordinary kashmiri, we are quite serious people.

Where in Kashmir is your family originally from? We are originally from Baramulla.

Does your family share the eating, pink tea, dry fruit, rice and meat obsession?

It comes from Kashmiris in Punjab, many of whom look fat and white like Nawaz Sharif.

We are pretty old kashmiri settlers (200 years) in Gujranwala and we are essentially of rural kashmiri origin, all my family has always lived in the villages of gujranwala and have been exclusively agriculturalist. All other stuff that you are talking about is only for "srinagar" or urban kashmiris, the rural kashmiris do not have any such habits of pink tea etc, however meat eating is indeed an obsession among kashmiris. Our life style resembles more with jatts of Gujranwala since we hail from agricultural families of rural kashmir and have similar lifestyle.

Last edited:
No words shall be spoken about our Armstrong. None. You need to be bitch-slapped for such blasphemy. :mad:

They do not say in Gujranwala where I come from so I do not know about any such stereotype. I think it depends on the area and the particular "type" of kashmiris living in those areas.

This guy "Armstrong" is a fake kashmiri character. I do not see anything kashmiri in his behaviour on this website.

We are pretty old kashmiri settlers (200 years) in Gujranwala and we are essentially of rural kashmiri origin, all my family has always lived in the villages of gujranwala and have been exclusively agriculturalist. All other stuff that you are talking about is only for "srinagar" or urban kashmiris, the rural kashmiris do not have any such habits of pink tea etc. Our life style resembles more with jatts of Gujranwala since we hail from agricultural families of rural kashmir and have similar lifestyle.

Punjabi Kashmiris are also known for their big families, even in urban areas until a few decades ago I do not believe there are 2 million Kashmiris in Punjab. Because if you include all Kashmiris from Jammu, Mirpur, Punch areas, the figure doubles.

Kashmiris in Punjab have mixed with Punjabis. Yup. I hear the claims of endogamy, but they have mixed with the Punjabi Jatts, gujjars, shaikhs, arains etc In Punjab, everyone is mixed now to various degrees. There is no pure anyone.

This pure stuff is only found in hindu caste system. Muslims in Pakistan have maintained their tribal biradari systems, but they are not pure.

N kidney beans!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom