What's new

Kalabagh Dam Project

bro if kalabagh is there with old designs then i will guarantee you there is no KP Province now,, Punjab will be in biggest disaster..

Why do you think that ..a dam is not suppose block water ..it suppose to store some amount of water and release the rest through floodgates...if Kalabagh dam with 8 MAF storage capacity would have been there..then there would have been no floods as total water flowing through is less than 9 MAF ..hence all this water would have been stored in the dam reservoir itself and only 1 MAF would have been released.

Why do you think that ..a dam is not suppose block water ..it suppose to store some amount of water and release the rest through floodgates...if Kalabagh dam with 8 MAF storage capacity would have been there..then there would have been no floods as total water flowing through is less than 9 MAF ..hence all this water would have been stored in the dam reservoir itself and only 1 MAF would have been released.

exactly,
there is no question in that. If Kalabagh or some other dams in K-P were built, there was no reason of flooding in Pakistan. One of the key features of the storage dams is to prevent flooding :)

Like i said before, Kalabagh would not have brought this much of disaster that has already happened in K-P and parts of other provinces.

Last edited:

b/c the height of the dam is around 10 feet high approx... which is situated in the border of KP and punjab so when the flood breaks from kp or upper areas the height of the dam will restrict the flood to flow into the arabian sea and there will be no drainage then Kp will be a KP river or even if the dam brokes with the pressure of flood water then the water which is in the dam will vanish KP and punjab..
only problem is to settle it is to reduced its height which can affect the capacity to save water in the dam but it is necessary to do it otherwise the biggest disaster is on the way..
I m with KB dam but with new designs, techniques and feasibility..

b/c the height of the dam is around 10 feet high approx... which is situated in the border of KP and punjab so when the flood breaks from kp or upper areas the height of the dam will restrict the flood to flow into the arabian sea and there will be no drainage then Kp will be a KP river or even if the dam brokes with the pressure of flood water then the water which is in the dam will vanish KP and punjab..
only problem is to settle it is to reduced its height which can affect the capacity to save water in the dam but it is necessary to do it otherwise the biggest disaster is on the way..
I m with KB dam but with new designs, techniques and feasibility..

you forget this flood situation is what floodgates are built for...they are right a bottom of the dam and are hydraulically operated, can be opened when ever there is need to empty the reservoir(to prevent silting of dam) or in flood conditions.

so when the flood water arrived, the reservoir will store as much water it can and after reservoir is filled the floodgates will be opened ..so that extra water will go into Arabian Sea.

Hell i bet the dam would have been empty at this hour of demand in electricity. all the rain water would have hardly filled the dam.
I'm saying it because this was the state of other dams just before rains and we have seen no floods in their controlled release.

you forget this flood situation is what floodgates are built for...they are right a bottom of the dam and are hydraulically operated, can be opened when ever there is need to empty the reservoir(to prevent silting of dam) or in flood conditions.

so when the flood water arrived, the reservoir will store as much water it can and after reservoir is filled the floodgates will be opened ..so that extra water will go into Arabian Sea.

agreed but before building this dam we can built other dams so any situation arises we can shift the water of Kb dam into others or may be we should built first good reservoirs system before that..

Kalabagh cannot and should not be built unless all provinces are in consensus and honestly speaking that dam can help revive our devastated economy
Who represent the provinces?
Have you seen those millions affected? those are who matter not wali khan and his ministers.
In Pakistan people are not educated enough to understand the technicalities.
We have seen load shedding and now we have seen floods both would have been avoided by adding dams and no one is objectin gsmall dams but i hope you know the generation possibilites of small dams and advantages of large dam where we can store water while in small dams i don't expect to have storage capacity, small dams will only help in direction of generating electricity but not controllin gthe floods and without control on water i expect those small barrages to be washed away once rain exceeds limits.

Hell i bet the dam would have been empty at this hour of demand in electricity. all the rain water would have hardly filled the dam.
I'm saying it because this was the state of other dams just before rains and we have seen no floods in their controlled release.

that is why i m saying that before building this dam we should properly manage the water management system because we hardly saves rain waters and we don't have a good reservoirs system to control such situation,,
Lots of planning is required and we are not doing it..

You seem to have no understanding of Kalabagh dam than how come those farmers can have an understanding.... those farmers are just threatened of unfound consequences... which are just proven wrong.

that is why i m saying that before building this dam we should properly manage the water management system because we hardly saves rain waters and we don't have a good reservoirs system to control such situation,,
Lots of planning is required and we are not doing it..

Punjab has no fear my dear in fact Punjab is always pushing for it as it has the most benefit if this dam is ever built

agreed but before building this dam we can built other dams so any situation arises we can shift the water of Kb dam into others or may be we should built first good reservoirs system before that..

You can build as many dams as you want ..but basic thing is "moolah" ..a group of small dams with equivalent storage , irrigation and electricity production capacity cost much more than one large dam.

This is project is very feasible because..it is has a near perfect location..W.B is ready to fund the entire project and its returns greatly exceed its construction cost.

You can build as many dams as you want ..but basic thing is "moolah" ..a group of small dams with equivalent storage , irrigation and electricity production capacity cost much more than one large dam.

This is project is very feasible because..it is has a near perfect location..W.B is ready to fund the entire project and its returns greatly exceed its construction cost.

yes we are building small dams....
:agree:

Who represent the provinces?
Have you seen those millions affected? those are who matter not wali khan and his ministers.
In Pakistan people are not educated enough to understand the technicalities.
We have seen load shedding and now we have seen floods both would have been avoided by adding dams and no one is objectin gsmall dams but i hope you know the generation possibilites of small dams and advantages of large dam where we can store water while in small dams i don't expect to have storage capacity, small dams will only help in direction of generating electricity but not controllin gthe floods and without control on water i expect those small barrages to be washed away once rain exceeds limits.

go for Bunji project first, that will generate 200% electricity of Kalabagh and China is willing to fund it and there is no dispute over this project. Why not go for those projects first that are both feasible and undisputed and can also fulfill your future demands.

Go for bhasha, little more expensive than Kalabagh but approved and ready to go for under construction

Punjab has no fear my dear in fact Punjab is always pushing for it as it has the most benefit if this dam is ever built

that is the problem bro,, General Zia made it a political dam that is why the other states rejecting it....
Hope it will built in the future....

You seem to have no understanding of Kalabagh dam than how come those farmers can have an understanding.... those farmers are just threatened of unfound consequences... which are just proven wrong.

you see here is the problem..
we always denies each other, we are not ready to accept others theories..
leave farmers aside you can asked any other water management personnel and he will tell you what will be the consequences of the dam with current old design..
they are not unfound consequences,, we have the examples of it..
you can reserach its designs and it requires a change and you will see it in a future soon if the dam attracts political leaders..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom