What's new

Featured Joe Biden seeks restoration of peoples' rights in Kashmir; disappointed with CAA, NRC

If the SC strikes it down as Unconstitutional, what will you do?
I will ask the govt to revise the law so that its impact is not diluted but it stays within the lines. There are many expert lawyers in the govt who will be able to do it.

Trump is a one-time President. His first win was a fluke and against highly unpopular Hillary Clinton.

Yes, the Indian-Americans are trying to replicate AIPAC but they don’t have the reach nor the wealth of Jewish-Americans. But in a decade or so, who knows. The problem with Pakistani-Americans is that despite having wealth and connections, they are detached from Pakistan. This will have serious implications for Pakistan, in the long run. Majority of Pakistani-Americans in Washington DC & power corridor don’t hold any favorable views of Pakistan. If I was a Pakistani, this will worry me much more than whatever Indian-Americans do.
Agreed.. Pakistani Americans already think so little of their former homeland that they have a callous attitude of “not my problem anymore”. Which is why they will never have an impact on American policies ever.

By contrast the NRI never stops longing for or supporting the Indian state in whatever way possible.

Insignificant in terms of numbers, I agree, especially if you’re talking about the Indian American Sanghis (Tulsi Gabbard & Trump supporters etc.) who find common ground with the American Right Wing in its xenophobia and anti-Muslim sentiment.

What’s your take on their influence in terms of financial contributions and attempts to replicate AIPAC?

The polarizing nature of the BJP is helpful to Pakistan in another way in the US in that it does seem to have split the moderate Indian American Hindus and Muslims from the Sanghis, but I think those differences will be papered over if the Congress comes back to power.

They are following the same model and their pockets are deep. We are already seeing the impact of how this plays out in American politics but the bigger issue for NRI’s right now is their lack of loyalty to a single party as a political perception. So while they much like AIPAC lobby both dems and Republicans, the whole “Abki bar Trump Sarkar” had them abandoning key democratic allies and support which they will need to regain quickly.
@cloud4000 can probably comment better on this.

Agreed.. Pakistani Americans already think so little of their former homeland that they have a callous attitude of “not my problem anymore”. Which is why they will never have an impact on American policies ever.

Why do you think that Pakistanis living in America distant themselves from their home country or their parents origin ? I mean I am someone who might be able to move to America at some point , and all I think about is how to keep a balance life between integrating myself into American society without losing my identity as a Pakistani .. I do have 1-2 uncles in Canada who whenever come to Pakistan refer themselves as Canadians and like they never had a relation with this country, i mean for god sake, dude you went to Canada at the age of 20 , so you can't even say that I was born and raised there hence forget my roots ..but seriously why people forget their origins ?

Why do you think that Pakistanis living in America distant themselves from their home country or their parents origin ? I mean I am someone who might be able to move to America at some point , and all I think about is how to keep a balance life between integrating myself into American society without losing my identity as a Pakistani .. I do have 1-2 uncles in Canada who whenever come to Pakistan refer themselves as Canadians and like they never had a relation with this country, i mean for god sake, dude you went to Canada at the age of 20 , so you can't even say that I was born and raised there hence forget my roots ..but seriously why people forget their origins ?
Because being Pakistani after 2001 meant being associated with terrorism, honor killings and an ignorant society.
To what extent those are true is debatable, but even those who come from Pakistan recently realize just how regressive and oppressive their society is in general and why despite the rampant sin city status of western countries; just having a slightly more just system with sense of security along with access to better learning and earning makes a comparison with the “homeland” depressing. What makes is worse is the constant image that no one in Pakistan really wants to change, they just want hand me downs and they envy your lifestyle in an ingrained case of “grass is greener on the other side”

I maintain that only .1% of Pakistanis(politicians, bureucrats, military, businesses, common man) will ever have the gumption fight America. Not because of lack of bravery but because they all, even the most rampant of “dar ul harb” types harbor a secret desire for the green card and the american way of life; with the facade of hatred as their own disguise for not getting it. I say this not out of some ego trip or pointing to a US immigration as a status symbol(which it really is in our society), but an underlying jealousy and hatred within all Pakistanis for each other. We may celebrate people who achieve better in Pakistan, but secretly envy them and find excuses for their successes versus ourselves. Such nations never leave their status quo - and our history is testament to it.

Pakistani is the worst enemy of a Pakistani, which is why most overseas Pakistanis will give remittances and donate to causes both philanthropic and political like PTI; but have no true hope for change and prefer the participation award.

By contrast the NRI never stops longing for or supporting the Indian state in whatever way possible.

Interestingly enough, prior to India's economic rise after 1991, many Indians also thought little or had little love for their homeland. After things got better, Indians suddenly found a profound pride in their homeland. I see the same thing happening in Pakistan if things can get turned around.

They are following the same model and their pockets are deep. We are already seeing the impact of how this plays out in American politics but the bigger issue for NRI’s right now is their lack of loyalty to a single party as a political perception. So while they much like AIPAC lobby both dems and Republicans, the whole “Abki bar Trump Sarkar” had them abandoning key democratic allies and support which they will need to regain quickly.

Indians are not a political monolith even in the age of Trump. It's a vast and varied group that supports politicians from across the political spectrum. There are a number of Indian-Americans in US Congress, practically all are Democrats (mostly Bernie Sander progressives!) and despise Trump even if he does kiss Modi's butt. Trump's biggest supporters among Indians are the North Indian, pro-BJP, anti-Muslim bunch. For them, Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric resonated with them, so they voted for him in droves, abandoning Democrats they usually vote for in the past.

No India has Kamala Devi Harris the expected running mate of Biden. Her previous statements on India are very pro India. She is half Indian and half American African. If Biden got elected and she becomes VP then she will be running the policy on India.
So watch out what you ask for.

Kamala Harris has NO loyalties to India. She is a liberal. Liberals can not be trusted......

I am waiting for debates between Biden & president Trump.......

Indians are not a political monolith even in the age of Trump. It's a vast and varied group that supports politicians from across the political spectrum. There are a number of Indian-Americans in US Congress, practically all are Democrats (mostly Bernie Sander progressives!) and despise Trump even if he does kiss Modi's butt. Trump's biggest supporters among Indians are the North Indian, pro-BJP, anti-Muslim bunch. For them, Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric resonated with them, so they voted for him in droves, abandoning Democrats they usually vote for in the past.

Many of things Trump said are true (supporting anti- asad forces are not in USA's interests; every country is taking advantage of USA in trade etc etc).....he had the balls to say that in public.....

He won because (one of the reasons) he threw out political correctness out of the window....

You may not like him, but you need to agree he has balls...

Makes no difference who’s in the White House. It’s a political stunt and many Pakistanis will fall for it like cucks. Similar to the hood rat (Obama) this man worked under who did more drone strikes in Pakistan than Bush.

I think you are thinking too much about loyalty of liberal Indians to India......Article 370 is removed, and all liberal indians get riled up and do everything in their power to get all democratic contenders to give anti-India statements...... where is the loyalty of (liberal) Indian-Americans to India?

PS: from Indian perspective, article 370 is doing much damage.....no jobs, no good universities in j&k.

Many of things Trump said are true (supporting anti- asad forces are not in USA's interests; every country is taking advantage of USA in trade etc etc).....he had the balls to say that in public.....

He won because (one of the reasons) he threw out political correctness out of the window....

You may not like him, but you need to agree he has balls...

This may be reasons why many Americans voted for Trump, but not why some Indians voted for Trump. Trump echoed many Sanghis prejudices, especially against Muslims. That he also treated Modi like a BFF only cemented this relationship.

I think you are thinking too much about loyalty of liberal Indians to India......Article 370 is removed, and all liberal indians get riled up and do everything in their power to get all democratic contenders to give anti-India statements...... where is the loyalty of (liberal) Indian-Americans to India?

PS: from Indian perspective, article 370 is doing much damage.....no jobs, no good universities in j&k.

Just because some Indians oppose a particular policy does not make them anti-Indian. Are Indian-Americans robots that they must be in lock-step with Modi's government on all matters?

An illegal immigrant is obviously not welcome. The problem arises when you say -

1. There is only religious persecution and that too to only certain adherents. Ahmadiyas who are declared heretics in Pakistan are excluded. For the record, they believe in Krishna being one of the earlier prophets. I am surprised no opposition party had looked into that. Does BJP hate Krishna bhakts?

2. Why exclude Sri Lanka? It's a neighbouring country where ethnic Tamils (mostly Hindus) have also faced persecution at the hands of Buddhist Sinhala.

3. Why stop at religious persecution? What about those who are persecuted on the basis of their sexual orientation, their ethnicity or any other factor?

I am fine with having a law which applies to all persecuted peoples. The onus of proving persecution lies on the persecuted. No one gets a free pass.

But we must continue to give refuge to the Chinese citizen who beg to come here.

That was never the intention of the CAA. Read this post of mine:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/new-...d-to-delhi-riots.669467/page-15#post-12397672

Back
Top Bottom