What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

very nice.

Edit:

wasnt 07-101 the demo bird?
Si......

1625611092407.png

Pakistan Air Force PAC JF-17A armed with x4 Hafr Runway Penetration Bombs (RPBs).

View attachment 760107
Hafr and similar weapons are from a bygone era. Standoff is the the name of the game these days. But we may not be surprised if PAF bosses sent their finest once again on actual antirunway missions with Hafr duffers. But they might do it anyway. Halwara strike though not strictly a runway denial mission, was one such useless, wasteful anti-airbase op, as we remember it.
Hafr could be more appropriate for taking out buried fuel depots and ammo dumps if the air defenses are deemed inadequate.

Hafr and similar weapons are from a bygone era. Standoff is the the name of the game these days. But we may not be surprised if PAF bosses sent their finest once again on actual antirunway missions with Hafr duffers. But they might do it anyway. Halwara strike though not strictly a runway denial mission, was one such useless, wasteful anti-airbase op, as we remember it.
Hafr could be more appropriate for taking out buried fuel depots and ammo dumps if the air defenses are deemed inadequate.
I very vividly recall when on a certain 27th February the PAF top brass sent JF-17s with Hafrs and not H4 SOWs to attack Indian posts. It was a massive failure of a mission. 🙃

In all seriousness, it’s just displaying a capability, PAF has had SOWs for decades and has shown it’s not afraid of using them. They will obviously use those and not these in the case of a war.

I very vividly recall when on a certain 27th February the PAF top brass sent JF-17s with Hafrs and not H4 SOWs to attack Indian posts. It was a massive failure of a mission. 🙃

In all seriousness, it’s just displaying a capability, PAF has had SOWs for decades and has shown it’s not afraid of using them. They will obviously use those and not these in the case of a war.
Your sarcasm is misplaced, mister. 27th Feb mission didnt need Hafrs. If it had been an airbase attack, well, you would have heard different news.

Your sarcasm is misplaced, mister. 27th Feb mission didnt need Hafrs. If it had been an airbase attack, well, you would have heard different news.
Do you seriously believe that if on 27th February the target was an airbase instead of the depots, that the PAF would have sent aircraft armed with Hafr?
By that logic they should have been attacking the depots with dumb bombs and not SOWs…
Maybe your criticism is misplaced and not my sarcasm…

Do you seriously believe that if on 27th February the target was an airbase instead of the depots, that the PAF would have sent aircraft armed with Hafr?
By that logic they should have been attacking the depots with dumb bombs and not SOWs…
Well, can please tell, what use are Hafrs then?

Well, can please tell, what use are Hafrs then?
I’m not in the PAF, who knows what the exact use case scenario for them is now, it’s good to have a backup or a simpler weapon in case it’s needed, however I can say without much doubt that the PAF won’t be attempting to attack an Indian AFB with these things in 2021 knowing it’s a death trap, especially when they have better weapons to do the job. They’re not that stupid.

I’m not in the PAF, who knows what the exact use case scenario for them is now, it’s good to have a backup or a simpler weapon in case it’s needed, however I can say without much doubt that the PAF won’t be attempting to attack an Indian AFB with these things in 2021 knowing it’s a death trap, especially when they have better weapons to do the job. They’re not that stupid.
Thanks for reaching the conclusion that you see no perceivable scenario for Hafr. Except as a backup weapon, which is saying it's useless primarily as a runway denial bomb. Maybe once we have defeated the IAF in the air and taken out all its SAMs and triple A on the ground, we could move with Hafr attacks to satisfy our need of keeping these things.

Thanks for reaching the conclusion that you see no perceivable scenario for Hafr. Except as a backup weapon, which is saying it's useless primarily as a runway denial bomb. Maybe once we have defeated the IAF in the air and taken out all its SAMs and triple A on the ground, we could move with Hafr attacks to satisfy our need of keeping these things.
Oh I completely agree with you in it being useless in 2021, I just meant that despite being present, I don’t see the PAF ever using it as a primary weapon. They must have a reason to keep it, redundancy does have some positives, they probably don’t cost much to keep, but god forbid anyone in the PAF thinks they should use it to attack an active AFB instead of proper modern munitions.

waiting for Dual rail for Sd10s and 2 under the belly, while still carrying 3 drop tanks. that will make it a monster air to air hunter of multiple raphaaeel
Dual racks have more disadvantages than advantages such as create a extra drag hence reduce endurance ànd range

Dual racks have more disadvantages than advantages such as create a extra drag hence reduce endurance ànd range
What would be more disadvantageous than to carry 2 missiles instead of 4 against the opponents in modern BVR confrontation?
Nowadays Air forces fly a package of aircraft to attack and an interception. Having more missiles will not provide an edge over rivals?
Extra drag comes into play when you go into the WVR range. What is need to go in that range when you can them out from a distance?
Second, the dual rack is a detachable attachment that the plane does not need to carry all the time.

What would be more disadvantageous than to carry 2 missiles instead of 4 against the opponents in modern BVR confrontation?
Nowadays Air forces fly a package of aircraft to attack and an interception. Having more missiles will not provide an edge over rivals?
Extra drag comes into play when you go into the WVR range. What is need to go in that range when you can them out from a distance?
Second, the dual rack is a detachable attachment that the plane does not need to carry all the time.

JF can already carry 4 BVRs when needed. Dual racks would be a welcome boost in capability in certain situations but not always. Maybe the trade-off on JF isn’t worth it?
Range of the aircraft definitely matters, if a fight ensues you want your aircraft to be able to stay in the fight longer before having to return to base or disengage, not every fight will allow you to just engage from long distance instantly after spotting a target and go back safely.
The drag, loss of maneuverability, stress on the airframe, how it will effect aerodynamics, loss of speed, all play a part in making it useful or not.

They wouldn’t really be a major game changer as people keep hoping, that goes to the new Radar, the HMD, the PL-15 integration, the new engine etc etc. Those are the upgrades that will give it an edge, this would just be a minor upgrade in the grand scheme of things, but any upgrade is a upgrade, so If it can get the capability, that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom