What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

Can any body tell the specifications of PL-13 , and the JF-17 newer versions are equipped with that?( It indicates in Wikipedia)

carrying more fuel and weapons on additional hardpoints will only make jf-17 more sluggish. Unless rd-93 is replaces by a newer variant with much higher thrust, don't expect any external modifications in block iii either. Even a large aesa radar will require more power from the engine to work effectively, so let's see what deal is worked out with the Russians on that front. Still no updates on the engine rebuild factory for the rd93s yet?

carrying more fuel and weapons on additional hardpoints will only make jf-17 more sluggish.
Not necessarily a bad thing.

A fighter-bomber -- by its category of combat aircraft -- is a compromise for obvious reasons. More so for countries that must import their defense.

From my time in the USAF, for every one man-hour of flight, there were 100 man hours of support, from target intel to flightline.

What I am saying is that unless your wallet can support a B-52 or a B-1, the fighter-bomber is all you have, and the more your fighter-bomber can carry via hardpoints, the more flexible you are in the execution of a war.

upload_2017-1-23_19-15-45.png

Looks like JF-17B has larger wingspan i.e 9.465m while normal block 1 and 2 have 8.5m

its not better to speculate anything about this 2500 Km figure now as it could be anything (assuming the stated figure is true) but it is very difficult to believe that its combat radius, as a sudden increase of 1100 KM in combat radius should be difficult without any design change, on the other hand if its Ferry Range then its a decrease of 500 KM ....

But if its Basic Range (only on internal fuel) seems possible as it will moderately increase the range about 700 KM, in current configuration JF-17 can carry upto ~2,500 litter internally both in (central fuselage & in wings) internal fuel carrying capacity may be improved in same way as Gripen NG (current capacity of 3,500 litter of NG from 2,000 litter C/D)

New arrangements of fuel tank & plumbing in central fuselage in JF-17
View attachment 369224

Old arrangements of fuel tank & plumbing in central fuselage (for some PT aircraft)
View attachment 369226

My above post wrongly give the impression that there was some change in setup of fuel tank a plumbing associated to it for IFR configuration in JF-17, I must admit that I concluded it prematurely as I tried to clarify in my next post (the highlighted part) .....

the same fuel setup & plumbing carried by PT-4 & serial production is not confirmed as I have not seen any other pic of production model with installed fuel tank & open spine other then the one I posted posted above ..... on the basis of this I think the same setup was in use for serial production JF-17s as well because there was no report regarding the change till IFR consideration ....

But now after seeing many videos & pic I can say at least 'both' circular opening are present in JF-17 form PT-01 till JF-17 (10232)

JF-17 CAD Design
JF-17 CAD fuel tank-2.1-o0.jpg

JF-17 Open Spine (PT-01)

JF-17 Arrangements of fuel tank & plumbing in central fuselage-e-1.jpg

JF-17 in PAC
JF-17 fuel tank & plambing-6-e.jpg

Dec-2009
JF-17 manufacturing in Pakistan Dec-2009-2-e.jpg

JF-17 manufacturing in Pakistan Dec-2009.jpg

Pakistan-JF-17-Thunder covered spine
Pakistan-JF-17-Thunder-2 covered spin-e.jpg

& in the last 10232 rear circular opening at spine
JF-17 FC10232 (06-sep-2016)-e.jpg

My above post wrongly give the impression that there was some change in setup of fuel tank a plumbing associated to it for IFR configuration in JF-17, I must admit that I concluded it prematurely as I tried to clarify in my next post (the highlighted part) .....

But now after seeing many videos & pic I can say at least 'both' circular opening are present in JF-17 form PT-01 till JF-17 (10232)

JF-17 CAD Design
View attachment 371227
JF-17 Open Spine (PT-01)

View attachment 371229

JF-17 in PAC View attachment 371230

Dec-2009
View attachment 371232
View attachment 371233

Pakistan-JF-17-Thunder covered spine
View attachment 371234

& in the last 10232 rear circular opening at spine
View attachment 371235