What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

But the air frame and engine would be the same, just change in electronics. So wouldn't integration be a lot quicker? Wouldn't existing thunder pilots/technicians be ready to go as soon as block 3 arrives?

Hi,

Change in electronics is everything---. Aesa is a totally different ball game---. First of all---your pilots will have to UN-LEARN their basic combat engagement techniques and then learn the new fighting techniques---.

When the aesa got introduced in the usaf---it was not an easy task for the pilots---.

From a slash and stab in close combat to hitting out like a thief in the dark of the night in the early morning hours---is a totally different combat experience---.

You are switching a close combat soldier to a silent predator---you are switching that soldier to a sniper---a silent killer---.

Watch from a distance---chose your target---launch your strike and be gone to target the next---.

It would be an extensive training and integration programme---.

Last edited:
Hi,

Change in electronics is everything---. Aesa is a totally different ball game---. First of all---your pilots will have to UN-LEARN their basic combat engagement techniques and then learn the new fighting techniques---.

When the aesa got introduced in the usaf---it was not an easy task for the pilots---.

From a slash and stab in close combat to hitting out like a thief in the dark of the night in the early morning hours---is a totally combat experience---.

You are switching a close combat soldier to a silent predator---you are switching that soldier to a sniper---a silent killer---.

Watch from a distance---chose your target---launch your strike and be gone to target the next---.

Its like saying I have the same computer except instead of Windows it has a completely different operation system system. In order to master the new radar and avionics, it will take time. In fact it would take longer for PAF to integrate the block 3 in the force than it did the original JF-17, because at least then we had the advantage of having decades of experience with traditional radar systems already.
PAF instructors will have to learn how to best utilize the aircraft's potential and then devise new strategies and techniques and then a syllabus built around those to teach the newcomers. It will take a few years for that to happen and for our pilots to hone their skills with the new weapons platform.

Hi,

From a slash and stab in close combat to hitting out like a thief in the dark of the night in the early morning hours---is a totally different combat experience---.

No "unlearning". The course syllabus is updated and enhanced. Most taught in OCU, rest taught at an operational level and further courses ahead. Sensor management these days is the name of the game.

No "unlearning". The course syllabus is updated and enhanced. Most taught in OCU, rest taught at an operational level and further courses ahead. Sensor management these days is the name of the game.

PAF and PA people already going for professional courses to China which shows that they are being prepared for induction of new Chinese based techs.

IMG_2634.JPG

I remember seeing a video where scaled models of Thunders were flown through remote control and had thrust vectoring. An actual real Thunder with TVC would have to be a marvel of technology because normally the TVC moving parts lead to higher probability of failure and thus we see twin engine TVC. I have reservations even about the TVC displayed on J-10 how reliable it is. Not to mention the loss of thrust during maneuvers which would limit the flight profile and thus usefulness of TVC in a single engine configuration.

Having said that, we know that RD-33MA was planned with TVC. And @messiach has already hinted that in order to see the future direction of Thunder, look at J-10B in the air show. So there is a possibility these problems have been solved. If so, huge compliments to Russian engineers.
Vectored nozzle control is only for R&D purposes.

I think this is our first BVR kill as well. During Kargil war Indians use to mock us about their Migs locking on the F-16s. We didnt had a BVR while IAF did. Here you go.
which plans PAF shot down

Bhai! Subah sa app kisi parhar ka necha tha.......You are not watching any news?

Well I for one just woke up to this news in London. Care to bring me up to date. I know one MiG-21 is confirmed. Can anyone confirm the other one?

Back
Top Bottom