What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

The PL-5 in question are training rounds. I’ve read that due to some quirk of aerodynamics the JF-17 flies better with wingtip armaments than without. Every time you hook a live round to the aircraft it expends the lifespan of the missile.

That and the stress of the missle as well.

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Posters should understand that there is a reason for the development of smart bombs---where 1 bomb may do more damage than 4 dumb bombs---.

i meant mk84 and mk82 all with REK kits GBU units

The PL-5 in question are training rounds. I’ve read that due to some quirk of aerodynamics the JF-17 flies better with wingtip armaments than without. Every time you hook a live round to the aircraft it expends the lifespan of the missile.
Hi,

Almost all fighter aircraft fly better with wingtip missiles--. You would hardly ever see one without.

JF17 can carry max of 6000 lbs of bombs with full laden internal fuel tank.. Thats low, shouldve been increased to 8000 lbs for a decebt strike aircraft? is that the plan ?

JF17 can carry max of 6000 lbs of bombs with full laden internal fuel tank.. Thats low, shouldve been increased to 8000 lbs for a decebt strike aircraft? is that the plan ?
How does that compare to the PAF’s Rose Mirages? Perhaps why the PAF is reluctant to retire the mirages; reliable strike platforms.

How does that compare to the PAF’s Rose Mirages? Perhaps why the PAF is reluctant to retire the mirages; reliable strike platforms.
Same payload. PAF is not reluctant. Mirages are being phased out gradually by JF-17s. Its just that we cannot procure as many 4th gen aircrafts as quickly to replace all old 2nd/3rd gen aircrafts. Its very expensive task to turn the whole fleet into 4 & 4.5 gen fleet.

Same payload. PAF is not reluctant. Mirages are being phased out gradually by JF-17s. Its just that we cannot procure as many 4th gen aircrafts as quickly to replace all old 2nd/3rd gen aircrafts. Its very expensive task to turn the whole fleet into 4 & 4.5 gen fleet.

You don’t need to replace legacy fighters at a one to one basis.

Perhaps they have been holding out hope, up until recently (when they inducted the J-10s), that a large number of used F-16s could be procured. Finances are indeed the procurement rate limiting factor. Hopefully, politically stability will develop over the next 12 months, such that economic growth will help deal with that issue… one can hope.

You don’t need to replace legacy fighters at a one to one basis.
But we have to, as our air forces will face an adversary 3.5 time larger than its own self, we can't afford to let the IAF have completely overwhelmed our sovereign skies with numbers.

Balakot incident is the example where India send three aggressive in three different sectors they were intercepted timely at two other sectors but a little delay of 2-3 minutes allowed IAF to launch their weapons at their intended target in Balakot.
Does PAF have a minimum number of fighter aircraft they like to maintain?
If i remember correctly the approved number of squadrons are either 22 or 25 including special mission aircrafts such as AEW&C and C-130

We can keep Mirages operational as reserve squadrons.

Allocate to wast and south In peace times...like a second tier airforce

We can keep Mirages operational as reserve squadrons.

Allocate to wast and south In peace times...like a second tier airforce
Airframes are too old unless we bring the flying hours of Mirage jets airframes to 'zero' we could not maintain it with routine overhauls, and for this to happen we actually have to produce all the essential and non-essential parts & elements in Pakistan with upgraded avionics. This mean we have to start a program similar to Israeli Kafir jet program which in modern age is like wasting the already meager financial resources of PAF.

Keep in mind Mirage fleet is already going through their last overhaul and this may give this fleet additional 5-7 years approximately.

But we have to, as our air forces will face an adversary 3.5 time larger than its own self, we can't afford to let the IAF have completely overwhelmed our sovereign skies with numbers.

Balakot incident is the example where India send three aggressive in three different sectors they were intercepted timely at two other sectors but a little delay of 2-3 minutes allowed IAF to launch their weapons at their intended target in Balakot.

If i remember correctly the approved number of squadrons are either 22 or 25 including special mission aircrafts such as AEW&C and C-130

The IAF’s numbers will shrink as well as they retire the Bisons and legacy fourth gen like Mirages. I don’t think numbers are a big concern.

The IAF’s numbers will shrink as well as they retire the Bisons and legacy fourth gen like Mirages. I don’t think numbers are a big concern.
I was talking about their 4th and 4thbplus gen aircrafts not about bison, just add their MKIs, MiG-29s, Mirage jets & Rafale fughter jets.

On the other hand we only have few F-16s, JF-17s and limitted numbers of J-10(their number in future may increase)

Back
Top Bottom