What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Everyone is too obsessed with the antenna portion of the radar, so much so that other important aspects as backend processing (hardware and algorithm) are neglected.
Antenna portion is the only part that is made public,obviously will get the most attention.
Plus there isn't any data on algorithms in the first place to neglect.Same is with processing power.

We should never have went for the JF-17. Should have just joined China in the J-10 project and inducted 200+ J-10 instead of JF-17. But now its to late.
JF-17 fulfil the need of PAF and easier to mass equipped for PAF budget. It is still the correct decision for PAF to go for this project. I don't see how PAF shall never go for it.

Another point to take note is, J-10 is solely a PLAAF project. There is never any intention for any foreign participant. This project has full CPC support and budget is never a problem.

If Pakistan participant in it. I doubt there is much co production sharing tech. While PAF merely just allocated certain number of J-10 manufacture.

Last edited:
Then you will be saying oh man we should never went for J-10 , why did not we joined the J-20 project back in 90s
JF-17 is a lightweight fighter like the Gripen. I would have preferred a medium weight fighter like the J-10. I know I am gonna piss of a lot nationalists, but compare the J-10A with the JF-17 block 1. The J-10A looks far better.

Back when the Jf-17 project was conceived China wasn’t even sure if the J-10 would be successful.
We are talking about the 1990s?

JF-17 fulfil the need of PAF and easier to mass equipped for PAF budget. It is still the correct decision for PAF to go for this project. I don't see how PAF shall never go for it.

Another point to take note is, J-10 is solely a PLAAF project. There is never any intention for any foreign participant. This project has full CPC support and budget is never a problem.

If Pakistan participant in it. I doubt there is much co production sharing tech. While PAF merely just allocated certain number of J-10 manufacture.
So in your opinion PAF made the right decision?

JF-17 is a lightweight fighter like the Gripen. I would have preferred a medium weight fighter like the J-10. I know I am gonna piss of a lot nationalists, but compare the J-10A with the JF-17 block 1. The J-10A looks far better.

We are talking about the 1990s?

A bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

Absolutely, it a project PAF has more say in the program according to their own need. Without JF-17, PAF modernization will be very slow. I can bet Q-5 even need to continue in service until more new aircraft available.

J-10 can never be able to replace most of PAF aircraft.

JF-17 is a lightweight fighter like the Gripen. I would have preferred a medium weight fighter like the J-10. I know I am gonna piss of a lot nationalists, but compare the J-10A with the JF-17 block 1. The J-10A looks far better

People here forget that we had to retire many old 1960's technology jets and JF-17 is almost thrice in the advancement over those that JF-17 intend to replace. Also, we don't have all of our border with India which fields 4+ generation fighters. Instead we also have to secure 3300 km border with Iran and Afghanistan which literally have no Airforce and would have one in the next 10 years atleast. JF-17 also secure our all of this side. It also fills the gap in any forth generation fighter. You don't field only one type of fighters (medium weight as per your comment). Instead you have to creat a mix of light weight, medium and heave weight for different roles.

If wishes are being granted than PAF should have opted for many other options. It is clear that the service number of JF-17 will be in excess of 250 units, plus the export potential and the learning curve. When the super-7 project started it was replacement for the F-7. PAF was not looking for F-16 replacement.

If you look today also J-10 are coming in as the Vipers are not available anymore. Given the preference if PAF was to choose J-10 for 45Million V/S viper for 70Million they will still choose the vipers, but that boat has since long sailed. Now as of today J-10 has matured to be a comparable fighter and PAF has a need to also look for a replacement for their ageing fleet of vipers so it is a timely marriage of convenience.

The unavailability of the Vipers has forced PAF to look for a significant number of J-10 which would not have been considered earlier or the numbers would not have been so much that it would have warranted investment in terms of JV or co manufacture. The right step was Project AZM and hopefully that remains on track.

If wishes are being granted than PAF should have opted for many other options. It is clear that the service number of JF-17 will be in excess of 250 units, plus the export potential and the learning curve. When the super-7 project started it was replacement for the F-7. PAF was not looking for F-16 replacement.

If you look today also J-10 are coming in as the Vipers are not available anymore. Given the preference if PAF was to choose J-10 for 45Million V/S viper for 70Million they will still choose the vipers, but that boat has since long sailed. Now as of today J-10 has matured to be a comparable fighter and PAF has a need to also look for a replacement for their ageing fleet of vipers so it is a timely marriage of convenience.

The unavailability of the Vipers has forced PAF to look for a significant number of J-10 which would not have been considered earlier or the numbers would not have been so much that it would have warranted investment in terms of JV or co manufacture. The right step was Project AZM and hopefully that remains on track.
If F-16s were actually good enough to handle Rafales, then there is no need/reason for PAF to order J-10Cs. The reality is that the F-16s are not good enough. And yes, JF-17 block 3s are at least as capable in air defense/interception role as the MLU'd F-16s if not the block 50/52. The different in missile/electronic technology between what US produced in early 2000s and what China has now is quite vast. If you think about the cost of maintaining a new aircraft, introducing J-10C is not the cheaper option for PAF. It's the expensive option. Now that PAF has made a commitment for J-10C, I'd be surprised that they stop at 25. A force of 250 JF-17s and 60 J-10s by the end of this decade would be a huge lift in PAF capabilities. No reason to keep Mirages or F-7s in the fleet anymore.

I also think people need to be realistic about Pakistan's aerospace industry. Russia, with its long vast history in military aviation, is having trouble putting Su-57 in production. Mikoyan, with its long history, is having trouble putting a respectable Mig-35 into service. Building a modern military aviation industry is a long endeavor. One that Japan has already failed in. One that SK is struggling in getting into. These are things that I'm sure people in charge of PAF understands. Investing in domestic aerospace industry is a worthy endeavor, but not one that should take funding away from more pressing need in the Air Force itself.

If F-16s were actually good enough to handle Rafales, then there is no need/reason for PAF to order J-10Cs. The reality is that the F-16s are not good enough. And yes, JF-17 block 3s are at least as capable in air defense/interception role as the MLU'd F-16s if not the block 50/52. The different in missile/electronic technology between what US produced in early 2000s and what China has now is quite vast. If you think about the cost of maintaining a new aircraft, introducing J-10C is not the cheaper option for PAF. It's the expensive option. Now that PAF has made a commitment for J-10C, I'd be surprised that they stop at 25. A force of 250 JF-17s and 60 J-10s by the end of this decade would be a huge lift in PAF capabilities. No reason to keep Mirages or F-7s in the fleet anymore.

I also think people need to be realistic about Pakistan's aerospace industry. Russia, with its long vast history in military aviation, is having trouble putting Su-57 in production. Mikoyan, with its long history, is having trouble putting a respectable Mig-35 into service. Building a modern military aviation industry is a long endeavor. One that Japan has already failed in. One that SK is struggling in getting into. These are things that I'm sure people in charge of PAF understands. Investing in domestic aerospace industry is a worthy endeavor, but not one that should take funding away from more pressing need in the Air Force itself.
The viper with aesa are a good enough match to what rafale can throw at paf.
That did not happen

Secondly I already said the numbers will be greater as it will be replacing the aging vipers so anywhere between 70 to 100 units depending on azm progress.

The reason for delay is that paf made sure that the 10 could be a worthy replacement to the viper

1- PAF has access to F16 and J10 both and already evaluate many more aircrafts of this league.

2- There is some delays/Urgent needs and there is some satisfaction on J10 performance that's why it's coming.

This leads to a copy-right infringement. Please delete this post.

To Whom It May Concern

Anyone found in sharing content from any other forum or blog; will be banned without any reminder. Beware. No matter if it is a post or an analysis. No other Forum should be referred to, based upon, relied & to be used as some sort of source.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom