What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

2012 block 2 and 2019 block 3 timeline mein bohat gap tha :(:(:(

I thought Jf17 block 3 would be a game changing 4.5th generation jet. It took 7 years to bring out a similar aircraft as block 2 and people were talking about bringing out a 5th generation plane within the next 10 years. I am disappointed. Let's debate another 7 years on block 4 or project AZM

You should consider in b/w 2012-2015

1. No AESA was ready in China

2. No PL-10 HOBS Missile was ready in China

3. No PL-15 BVR-AAM was ready in China

4. No HMD was ready in China

5. No Integrated internal EW was ready in China

6. Advanced Avionics were in final stage of development

7. Data Links for JF-17 with Rest of the fleet took time to mature. Read @airomerix comments on Block-III data link upgrades.

Technologies came with J-10C and it took time for them to mature.

KLJ-7A came in 2016. It take several years for AESA to get mature and iron out all the kinks in it.

Block-III came at a very suitable time when all the base technologies has atleast been matured.Which were not back in 2015-2016

Keep this in mind, China will not release anything to Pakistan until the technology matures. Take an example of PL-15. PL-10, All those J-10 Technologies. China only released it to Pakistan when those got matured. Not when they were in developmental or at Initial Operating Capability Stage.

Block III design took 2 years to get finalized i.e 2015-2017. It was finalized in 2017. Look at the first post of this thread. Which means All the technologies that were to go into Block III were there atleast in 2017.

Take an example of AESA radar, Due to inhouse PAF AESA development. PAF is still undecided which AESA to use for now.

What is available to us is what we have to work. So Expect the delays depending upon what is available in China at the time of deciding things.

Last edited:
Wrt to the talk about engine, will Rd-93MA look same as Rd-93 installed in a fighter jet on the face of it? or we would know that it's different by looking?
Good question. One thing to be noted though, the new Block-III image taking off ...
fb_img_1577559824857-jpg.596396

shows that the afterburners are are not lit.

This has been first pointed out by @CriticalThought .

I too am compelled to ponder whether a more powerful engine has been installed. Because if I am not mistaken, all the take offs of the Thunder, prior to this event, has been with full afterburners lit.

I maybe wrong. But If I am not then it is a point to ponder.

Another explanation could be that the empty weight of the Fighter plane has been reduced considerably ... due to use of extensive composites i.e. the portions of the fuselage in green.

7. Data Links for JF-17 with Rest of the fleet took time to mature. Read @airomerix comments on Block-III data link upgrades.

KLJ-7A came in 2016. It take several years for AESA to get mature and iron out all the kinks in it.

Block-III came at a very suitable when all the base technologies has atleast been matured.Which were not back in 2015-2016
Our neighbor already have rafales.. Are u sure this jet will save us from rafales if war happens now??

Good question. One thing to be noted though, the new Block-III image taking off ...

I too am compelled to ponder whether a more powerful engine has been installed. Because if I am not mistaken, all the take offs of the Thunder, prior to this event, has been with full afterburners lit.

Another explanation could be that the empty weight of the Fighter plane has been reduced considerably ... due to use of extensive composites i.e. the portions of the fuselage in green.
Its coming in to land ... not taking off

Cant wait for PL15 testing on block 3, Then FOB basis in kashmir will be useless with planes flying at 40k feet within Pakistani territory .. this will creat buffer zone over indian held kashmir if pakistani troops are making a thrust into liberation of IoK

Prophetic Words!

Block-III came at a very suitable when all the base technologies has atleast been matured.Which were not back in 2015-2016
probably the best Analysis of the thread so far.

You do make a valid point - now considering those things are active we could see them on Block III -- I just wish we can turn this into a heavy hitter some how. I just want us to get some powerful engine and dual racks for more payload.

I don't want to mention this, I went to some Indian Defence Forums -- I didn't realize the extent of gutter mentality of those Gangus, even after their *** whopping they acting all macho and stuff, I'm sitting their an thinking no in-depth analysis or anything like we have on PDF among our senior members its just a bunch of clowns their -- they talking about Tejas being some Vedic beast which I don't even know how to put in words they propping that trash up.

Its coming in to land ... not taking off
That is possible ... but what swayed me to think other wise ... is that in the first pic the plane is facing in the opposite direction and it's landing shute cap is open ... which means it is after landing.

fb_img_1577559822135-jpg.596397

But again, as I said before ... I could be wrong.

Hi

it did not work that way.

we got better ew package for the blk2—that allowed us to stretch the production of blk3 further down again to get better ew pkg.

in the blk 3 we will have some equipment better than the j20 in service—-basically we got the next tier up equipment.
It is like a left and right foot advancement.
Like J 20
Blk3

next blk J20
Blk4

so technically we will be a step agead of some of the gadgets on the J20

So both us and the chinese will fine tune the current ew pkg on Blk 3 and that will go into the next batch of J20

Position of wings flaps suggesting this to be a landing point.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom