What's new

Japan Gives Maglev Train Green Light

BN-FB302_1017jm_G_20141017011227.jpg

Caroline Kennedy, U.S. ambassador to Japan, left, and Shinzo Abe, Japan's prime minister, sit on board a magnetic levitation train, undergoing testing by Central Japan Railway Co. in April. Pool via Bloomberg News

:cheers:

TOKYO—The Japanese government approved Friday plans to build the world’s fastest train line, which will use magnetic levitation technology to race passengers from the capital, Tokyo, to the industrial hub of Nagoya at more than 300 miles an hour.

Central Japan Railway Co. 9022.TO -1.33% said the transport ministry cleared its plans to build a 178-mile line that would cut the Tokyo-Nagoya journey time to 40 minutes, less than half the current time of about 1 hour, 40 minutes.

JR Central hopes to complete the work by 2027, with an eventual onward link to Osaka.

The approval comes about two weeks after Japan celebrated the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original Tokyo-Osaka bullet train line, the world’s first high-speed train.

The new line, if completed, will represent a further leap in railway development. Maglev technology uses powerful magnetic charges to move train cars that float several inches above a concrete guideway rather than riding on steel wheels.

Though a short maglev line has been operating in Shanghai since 2004, the Tokyo-Nagoya line is the first intercity link in the world to gain public approval.

Supporters of the new line say it is needed to relieve crowding on the original bullet train. They also hail it as a demonstration of Japan’s technological prowess at a time when Tokyo is looking to boost the nation’s train system exports.

Opponents have raised questions about the cost of the project, its environmental impact and whether it is needed. Most of the route will run through tunnels under some of Japan’s highest mountains.

JR Central puts the cost of the line to Nagoya at ¥5.5 trillion ($52 billion). It estimates the cost of the full Tokyo-Osaka line at around ¥9 trillion.

The train company said it hoped to begin construction next year. Daisuke Fujita, a spokesman for JR Central, said Friday that the company had not set a specific date, pending consultations with local authorities along the route.

The company says it can finance the cost of the Tokyo-Nagoya line on its own, relying on the cash flow generated by the Tokyo-Osaka bullet train.

Before granting its approval, the ministry conducted an environmental assessment, reviewed the financing plans and timetable and scrutinized JR Central’s technical capabilities.

JR Central has been running demonstrations of its maglev system on a test track near Tokyo.

The company wants to export the technology to the U.S. for a Washington-New York train link—a project Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said Japan would help finance.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/japan-gives-maglev-train-green-light-1413523690
So this would be faster than China's current maglev train?

I hope the construction process goes smoothly. California has been having issues with its more terestrial rail system and the whole project is generally thought of as a waste of funds. Can't wait 10 years! I want to ride now. Given the speed of current bullet trains, with this being expected to be faster, it might be as close to blasting off into space as I'll ever get without a lot of money or my own hillbilly space program.

Last edited:
I hope the construction process goes smoothly. California has been having issues with its more terestrial rail system and the whole project is general thought of as a waste of funds. Can't wait 10 years! I want to ride now. Given the speed of current bullet trains, with this being expected to be faster, it might be as close to blasting off into space as I'll ever get without a lot of money or my own hillbilly space program.

Its all serotonin, my friend. lol!

Its all serotonin, my friend. lol!

True, but the usual activities I like to do to bring myself happiness aren't going to fly I public:D. Try to avoid that trap. Still, unless one is partial to fast cars, joining space programs via simulating (now way a depressant's going to help) narcotics, or is actually going into space, few experiences can match the acceleration of trains such as these. It's going to be awesome. On a slightly related note, if I truly can't wait 10 years and don't plan any trips to China, I suppose I could achieve similar acceleration with the trebuchet I built with some friends for a physics class.

Last edited:
BN-FB302_1017jm_G_20141017011227.jpg

Caroline Kennedy, U.S. ambassador to Japan, left, and Shinzo Abe, Japan's prime minister, sit on board a magnetic levitation train, undergoing testing by Central Japan Railway Co. in April. Pool via Bloomberg News

TOKYO—The Japanese government approved Friday plans to build the world’s fastest train line, which will use magnetic levitation technology to race passengers from the capital, Tokyo, to the industrial hub of Nagoya at more than 300 miles an hour.

Central Japan Railway Co. 9022.TO -1.33% said the transport ministry cleared its plans to build a 178-mile line that would cut the Tokyo-Nagoya journey time to 40 minutes, less than half the current time of about 1 hour, 40 minutes.

JR Central hopes to complete the work by 2027, with an eventual onward link to Osaka.

The approval comes about two weeks after Japan celebrated the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original Tokyo-Osaka bullet train line, the world’s first high-speed train.

The new line, if completed, will represent a further leap in railway development. Maglev technology uses powerful magnetic charges to move train cars that float several inches above a concrete guideway rather than riding on steel wheels.

Though a short maglev line has been operating in Shanghai since 2004, the Tokyo-Nagoya line is the first intercity link in the world to gain public approval.

Supporters of the new line say it is needed to relieve crowding on the original bullet train. They also hail it as a demonstration of Japan’s technological prowess at a time when Tokyo is looking to boost the nation’s train system exports.

Opponents have raised questions about the cost of the project, its environmental impact and whether it is needed. Most of the route will run through tunnels under some of Japan’s highest mountains.

JR Central puts the cost of the line to Nagoya at ¥5.5 trillion ($52 billion). It estimates the cost of the full Tokyo-Osaka line at around ¥9 trillion.

The train company said it hoped to begin construction next year. Daisuke Fujita, a spokesman for JR Central, said Friday that the company had not set a specific date, pending consultations with local authorities along the route.

The company says it can finance the cost of the Tokyo-Nagoya line on its own, relying on the cash flow generated by the Tokyo-Osaka bullet train.

Before granting its approval, the ministry conducted an environmental assessment, reviewed the financing plans and timetable and scrutinized JR Central’s technical capabilities.

JR Central has been running demonstrations of its maglev system on a test track near Tokyo.

The company wants to export the technology to the U.S. for a Washington-New York train link—a project Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said Japan would help finance.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/japan-gives-maglev-train-green-light-1413523690

Great news, I thought Japan's Maglev is still in experimental phase.

The World First!

Congratulation to Japan!

.Means with high fares ?This is a good reason to raise prices.

The World First!

Congratulation to Japan!

We Chinese are developing super maglev train, using vacuum tube design, future speed can reach 2900 kilometers per hour. About ten years after construction began, because we don't care how Chinese outside people say, we do not only say. Small part of the technology High-speed Rail train Chinese is introduced from Japan, we pay tribute to. But if somebody who than slow, I think it has no meaning. The same as the people of East Asia, we will get better and happy person of the Yellow race.
但是不得不說,台灣人的這副媚日的嘴臉,同為華人很讓我們不恥~:china:

[quote="
但是不得不說,台灣人的這副媚日的嘴臉,同為華人很讓我們不恥~:china:[/quote]
香港人吗?香港情况如可?

Considering Japan’s density of population I think this would be a viable project.As for china, low-speed magalev would be a good choice for city light rail.Currently,traditional HSR can also run faster to 600+km/h,I dont think long range magalev would be more econoical than traditional HSR.Shanghai maglev is a good example(operating costs too high).

My girlfriend has been on China's maglev train and said it's scary. :enjoy:

I don't understand why UK doesn't construct a maglev train line despite the fact that the technology was invented in the UK. There was a proposal and even that was rejected and there is also a substantial opposition to HS2 line.

BTW @Nihonjin1051 , have you been on Amtrak?

Last edited:
My girlfriend has been on China's maglev train and said it's scary. :enjoy:

I don't understand why UK doesn't construct a maglev train line despite the fact that the technology was invented in the UK. There was a proposal and even that was rejected and there is also a substantial opposition to HS2 line.

BTW @Nihonjin1051 , have you been on Amtrak?

Yes, I've been. Its nice , i mean, its a decent HSR as it goes around 240 km/p/h (about 100 miles per hour; in USA). The amenities are nice, service is good, and the view is splendid. I recommend it if you want to see the US scenery. I had taken it from their Lakeland, FL - to New York Penn Station. It takes about 25 hours; and the cost is quite affordable , around $205 for value price, about $299 for value, and $700 for premium. It beats driving from Florida to NY. ;)

Back
Top Bottom