What's new

Japan Gives Maglev Train Green Light

Luffy 500

Reaction score
Is Maglev Rail Japan’s ‘Spruce Goose?’ | The Diplomat

Japan’s next high-speed rail could be a domestic burden without international customers.

The Central Japan Railway Co (JR Tokai) successfully completed another test run of its new ultra-high speed magnetic levitation (maglev) rail line on Monday, reaching a top speed of 500 km/hour, outstripping the fastest shinkansen train in operation, the Hayabusa, which tops out at 320 km/hour. The 42.8 km test track near Tsuru, Yamanashi prefecture provides just enough distance to reach the top range of the new “L-Zero” train system. The ambitious new line is set to connect Tokyo and Nagoya by 2027 in a trip that could be as short as 40 minutes.

According to a reporter for the Asahi Shimbun who participated in the test run, the train accelerates to 100 km/hour in just 26 seconds, and began “levitating” above the tracks moments later as it reached 350 km/hour in just 90 seconds. Despite the new record speeds, participants have so far said the ride was smooth, although when the train approached 400 km/hour it produced a sounds similar to what is experienced on an airplane. JR plans to reduce the noises experienced both inside and outside the train at high speed by installing a sound hood over portions of the guideway.

While the new train rollout is proceeding smoothly and generating interest domestically, the long-term plan is extremely costly and full of engineering challenges. The line is envisioned to connect Tokyo and Osaka by 2045 at an estimated construction cost of 9 trillion yen ($82 billion). Because of the direct route chosen by the rail company, 86 percent of the line will be enclosed in tunnels, with some stations in Shinagawa and Nagoya reaching 40 meters underground, meaning that estimated costs could surge after construction begins. Additionally, Reijiro Hashiyama at Chiba University of Commerce argues that the project is inherently risky in a country due to experience a rapid decline in population while airlines are increasing budget services. And if the project were to fail financially, Japanese taxpayers would likely be expected to foot the bill.

However, the new line does have several factors working in its favor. It is expected to be completed at a time when the parallel shinkansen track is due for a major overhaul, meaning it may not have to compete with another established high-speed option. Additionally, the ticket price for a trip between Tokyo and Osaka is only expected to increase 1,000 yen ($9.20), while the travel time would be cut in half to 67 minutes. The new train could meet other needs besides decreasing time and cost of traveling. Driverless trains could be beneficial in a country with a shrinking labor market, especially if other services are automated, which would further drive down costs. JR Central is also conducting two more exhibitions in November and December. Public displays of the technological and engineering feats required to comfortably travel at such high speeds while underground will be helpful in attracting international customers, particularly those in Southeast Asia with plans to begin awarding contracts for high-speed rail in the next few years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think its time Japan seriously considers european style mass immigration. Otherwise they can't hold their manufacturing base for long given the unsustainable demographic decline in their country.

Last edited:
Japan’s next high-speed rail could be a domestic burden without international customers.

The Central Japan Railway Co (JR Tokai) successfully completed another test run of its new ultra-high speed magnetic levitation (maglev) rail line on Monday, reaching a top speed of 500 km/hour, outstripping the fastest shinkansen train in operation, the Hayabusa, which tops out at 320 km/hour. The 42.8 km test track near Tsuru, Yamanashi prefecture provides just enough distance to reach the top range of the new “L-Zero” train system. The ambitious new line is set to connect Tokyo and Nagoya by 2027 in a trip that could be as short as 40 minutes.

According to a reporter for the Asahi Shimbun who participated in the test run, the train accelerates to 100 km/hour in just 26 seconds, and began “levitating” above the tracks moments later as it reached 350 km/hour in just 90 seconds. Despite the new record speeds, participants have so far said the ride was smooth, although when the train approached 400 km/hour it produced a sounds similar to what is experienced on an airplane. JR plans to reduce the noises experienced both inside and outside the train at high speed by installing a sound hood over portions of the guideway.

While the new train rollout is proceeding smoothly and generating interest domestically, the long-term plan is extremely costly and full of engineering challenges. The line is envisioned to connect Tokyo and Osaka by 2045 at an estimated construction cost of 9 trillion yen ($82 billion). Because of the direct route chosen by the rail company, 86 percent of the line will be enclosed in tunnels, with some stations in Shinagawa and Nagoya reaching 40 meters underground, meaning that estimated costs could surge after construction begins. Additionally, Reijiro Hashiyama at Chiba University of Commerce argues that the project is inherently risky in a country due to experience a rapid decline in population while airlines are increasing budget services. And if the project were to fail financially, Japanese taxpayers would likely be expected to foot the bill.

However, the new line does have several factors working in its favor. It is expected to be completed at a time when the parallel shinkansen track is due for a major overhaul, meaning it may not have to compete with another established high-speed option. Additionally, the ticket price for a trip between Tokyo and Osaka is only expected to increase 1,000 yen ($9.20), while the travel time would be cut in half to 67 minutes. The new train could meet other needs besides decreasing time and cost of traveling. Driverless trains could be beneficial in a country with a shrinking labor market, especially if other services are automated, which would further drive down costs. JR Central is also conducting two more exhibitions in November and December. Public displays of the technological and engineering feats required to comfortably travel at such high speeds while underground will be helpful in attracting international customers, particularly those in Southeast Asia with plans to begin awarding contracts for high-speed rail in the next few years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think its time Japan seriously considers european style mass immigration. Otherwise they can't hold their manufacturing base for long given the unsustainable demographic decline in their country.

1. Maglev is already in the process, and will be implemented

2. Immigration quota have already started increasing. Tho I believe it should be increased further.
2b. Skilled labor, unskilled labor, should all be considered.
Japan may boost immigrant numbers | The Japan Times

1. Maglev is already in the process, and will be implemented

2. Immigration quota have already started increasing. Tho I believe it should be increased further.
2b. Skilled labor, unskilled labor, should all be considered.
Japan may boost immigrant numbers | The Japan Times

I once read a article by a former japanese customs bureaucrat who was of the opinion of Japan having 2 option - one small Japan (maintaining status quo) and another big japan (with immigration). He concluded that Japanese pop. won't be willing to accept such a radical change such as multicultural society and voiced for the small japan option with a hope that the pop. may take off at one point in time. But Japan has always been versatile and adapted to changes and change is a hallmark of Japanese phenomenal rise. SO i think Japan will adapt itself and find a multicultural solution to its demographic problem.

I once read a article by a former japanese customs bureaucrat who was of the opinion of Japan having 2 option - one small Japan (maintaining status quo) and another big japan (with immigration). He concluded that Japanese pop. won't be willing to accept such a radical change such as multicultural society and voiced for the small japan option with a hope that the pop. may take off at one point in time. But Japan has always been versatile and adapted to changes and change is a hallmark of Japanese phenomenal rise. SO i think Japan will adapt itself and find a multicultural solution to its demographic problem.

Yes, that's one character about Japanese people have -- a sense of inclusivity. To be honest, i think this is a natural trait for any people and country. I'm sure if i go to Bangladesh , i'll also observe a sense of inclusivity amongst Bangladeshi people. If one is in Bangladesh, an immigrant should at least try to conform to the host society, learn the lingua franca, be considerate of the societal norms and practices, and adopt the social contracts in that society.

The same also applies in Japan. You know what I mean? If a person is to come to Japan, the immigrant person should be open to assimilating to Japanese culture, society. In fact I am even surprised to see that the foreign residents in Japan do in fact adhere to societal norms, and learn our language and our way of life. I admire that.

If we could have more immigrants like that, and the more media portrays immigrant workers with positive light , then the more Japanese people will be open , considerate to it. The issue we have now is that there just really isn't that many immigrants in Japan. So minorities aren't something we see in everyday occurrence unless one lives in an international city like Tokyo, Saitama, Maizuru, Nagasaki, Kanagawa etc. I'm sure it will change for positive. Government has to make it happen, and start 'walking' instead of just 'talking'.

That's my take on it.

The same also applies in Japan. You know what I mean? If a person is to come to Japan, the immigrant person should be open to assimilating to Japanese culture, society. In fact I am even surprised to see that the foreign residents in Japan do in fact adhere to societal norms, and learn our language and our way of life. I admire that.

No, Everyone should learn the American version of English. :usflag: :enjoy: :P

So Japan is opening up to the idea of immigration? In your opinion is it more support for Immigration Reform from the Government or the Society?

No, Everyone should learn the American version of English. :usflag: :enjoy: :P

So Japan is opening up to the idea of immigration? In your opinion is it more support for Immigration Reform from the Government or the Society?

@Thəorətic Muslim

1. I'm against all these proponents for learning Spanish. If we immigrants have to take English proficiency as requirement for visa , then Latin American immigrants should also master English language ! Talk about unfair. Those of us who come here the legal way have to abide by stringent requirements...

2. Honestly, Japanese public still is averse to large scale immigration. I think the factor is fear of unknown , fear that immigrants will be resistant to assimilation ? Several themes have emerged in Japan's immigration policy in recent years. First, there is a growing perception among the public that migrants, particularly those with unauthorized or questionable status in the country, are contributing to the rising crime rate and general deterioration of public security.

This is a good reference:

Japanese Immigration Policy: Responding to Conflicting Pressures | migrationpolicy.org

Yes, that's one character about Japanese people have -- a sense of inclusivity. To be honest, i think this is a natural trait for any people and country. I'm sure if i go to Bangladesh , i'll also observe a sense of inclusivity amongst Bangladeshi people. If one is in Bangladesh, an immigrant should at least try to conform to the host society, learn the lingua franca, be considerate of the societal norms and practices, and adopt the social contracts in that society.

If we could have more immigrants like that, and the more media portrays immigrant workers with positive light , then the more Japanese people will be open , considerate to it. The issue we have now is that there just really isn't that many immigrants in Japan. So minorities aren't something we see in everyday occurrence unless one lives in an international city like Tokyo, Saitama, Maizuru, Nagasaki, Kanagawa etc. I'm sure it will change for positive.

U right abt inclusivity. BDs also mingle together in foreign countries but one has to make sure inclusivity doesn't give into to xenophobia or a sense of superiority and much depends on the dose of nationalism the society if exposed to. I m not a nationalist i any way. I believe Japan became largely liberal after WWII and their perception regarding foreigners have been shaped by 100s of years of cultural segregation from the rest of the world. As an Island nation Japan has a unique cultural history.

Assimilation is important but also the majority must accept the cultural and religious norms of the immigrants. That's a must for a multicultural society. There will be bad apples in the immigrant pop. but the majority will have to be accommodative and not stereotype the whole immigrant pop.based on a few bad apples.

Yeah agree. More exposure to a immigrant pop. will help remove old perception Japanese have toward foreigners. :)

Japan Gives Maglev Train Green Light
By ERIC PFANNER and JOHN D’AMICO
Oct. 17, 2014 1:28 a.m. ET

BN-FB302_1017jm_G_20141017011227.jpg

Caroline Kennedy, U.S. ambassador to Japan, left, and Shinzo Abe, Japan's prime minister, sit on board a magnetic levitation train, undergoing testing by Central Japan Railway Co. in April. Pool via Bloomberg News

TOKYO—The Japanese government approved Friday plans to build the world’s fastest train line, which will use magnetic levitation technology to race passengers from the capital, Tokyo, to the industrial hub of Nagoya at more than 300 miles an hour.

Central Japan Railway Co. 9022.TO -1.33% said the transport ministry cleared its plans to build a 178-mile line that would cut the Tokyo-Nagoya journey time to 40 minutes, less than half the current time of about 1 hour, 40 minutes.

JR Central hopes to complete the work by 2027, with an eventual onward link to Osaka.

The approval comes about two weeks after Japan celebrated the 50th anniversary of the opening of the original Tokyo-Osaka bullet train line, the world’s first high-speed train.

The new line, if completed, will represent a further leap in railway development. Maglev technology uses powerful magnetic charges to move train cars that float several inches above a concrete guideway rather than riding on steel wheels.

Though a short maglev line has been operating in Shanghai since 2004, the Tokyo-Nagoya line is the first intercity link in the world to gain public approval.

Supporters of the new line say it is needed to relieve crowding on the original bullet train. They also hail it as a demonstration of Japan’s technological prowess at a time when Tokyo is looking to boost the nation’s train system exports.

Opponents have raised questions about the cost of the project, its environmental impact and whether it is needed. Most of the route will run through tunnels under some of Japan’s highest mountains.

JR Central puts the cost of the line to Nagoya at ¥5.5 trillion ($52 billion). It estimates the cost of the full Tokyo-Osaka line at around ¥9 trillion.

The train company said it hoped to begin construction next year. Daisuke Fujita, a spokesman for JR Central, said Friday that the company had not set a specific date, pending consultations with local authorities along the route.

The company says it can finance the cost of the Tokyo-Nagoya line on its own, relying on the cash flow generated by the Tokyo-Osaka bullet train.

Before granting its approval, the ministry conducted an environmental assessment, reviewed the financing plans and timetable and scrutinized JR Central’s technical capabilities.

JR Central has been running demonstrations of its maglev system on a test track near Tokyo.

The company wants to export the technology to the U.S. for a Washington-New York train link—a project Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said Japan would help finance.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/japan-gives-maglev-train-green-light-1413523690

yikes $50 billion sounds like a lot but over the long term a good investment

a possible D.C to New York maglev sounds good, but we aren't even use to regular HSR trains. I wonder if there really is a market for it.

yikes $50 billion sounds like a lot but over the long term a good investment

a possible D.C to New York maglev sounds good, but we aren't even use to regular HSR trains. I wonder if there really is a market for it.

If it were to develop in the U.S, i can guarantee you that bus companies such as Grey hound, and standard trains, carriage trains such as Amtrak and regional jets would have a new competition.

If it were to develop in the U.S, i can guarantee you that bus companies such as Grey hound, and standard trains, carriage trains such as Amtrak and regional jets would have a new competition.

you should know a good deal of Americans are overweight heading to obesity do you think that group of people would ride a maglev?? do they accommodate such a group?

you should know a good deal of Americans are overweight heading to obesity do you think that group of people would ride a maglev?? do they accommodate such a group?

lol, i'm sure there would be some extra large seats in the front available. You know, just like in movie theaters...:P

Back
Top Bottom