What's new

It is time to learn Chinese

Götterdämmerung;2713358 said:
It doen't matter what some jealous Indians say. Fact is outside of India nobody learns an Indian language while more and more schools in Europe and other parts of the world are offering Chinese as either the Boards of Education of the respective countries, parents and many students see it as an advantage to learn Chinese.

What advantage?..if you are not planning to visit china.

What advantage?..if you are not planning to visit china.

Ask the Boards of Education of Germany (or Sweden, France, UK, etc.), ask the parents and ask the students ... and also ask the companies. Chinese speaking employees are highly sought after. My city already has over ten high schools offering Chinese as second foreign language from fifth grade onwards. Many other schools would like to offer Chinese as well but the problem is lack of teachers.

Götterdämmerung;2713358 said:
It doen't matter what some jealous Indians say. Fact is outside of India nobody learns an Indian language while more and more schools in Europe and other parts of the world are offering Chinese as either the Boards of Education of the respective countries, parents and many students see it as an advantage to learn Chinese.

I can assure you there is no jealousy here. Even at the heights of Hindi agitation in 1960s there was no clamour for Tamil or Bengali or Telugu as the primary language of choice. The core agitation was against the replacement of English with Hindi as primary language in central govt. civil service exams. So you got it wrong buddy.

Having said that I perfectly understand it is my in advantage to learn Mandarin but if someone says it is time to learn Mandarin, it reeks of arrogance and I am one of those who would say ***k u - not in this life I will learn Mandarin.

Götterdämmerung;2713449 said:
Ask the Boards of Education of Germany (or Sweden, France, UK, etc.), ask the parents and ask the students ... and also ask the companies. Chinese speaking employees are highly sought after. My city already has over ten high schools offering Chinese as second foreign language from fifth grade onwards. Many other schools would like to offer Chinese as well but the problem is lack of teachers.

good for you, but chinese will never replace english or french or spanish popularity. some might want to learn chinese to do a translators job or something. other than that i don't see any necessity of learning mandarin. evewn to visit china for that matter. might help with the road signs or something but for business the chinese employ chinese who know english to take care of their overseas clients and to communicate with them.

Götterdämmerung;2713449 said:

Even in India, I think there is an option for students to learn Chinese if they chose to...but that doesn't mean that there is a rush to learn Chinese. Most students prefer to learn French as their preferred foreign language.

I can assure you there is no jealousy here. Even at the heights of Hindi agitation in 1960s there was no clamour for Tamil or Bengali or Telugu as the primary language of choice. The core agitation was against the replacement of English with Hindi as primary language in central govt. civil service exams. So you got it wrong buddy.

Having said that I perfectly understand it is my in advantage to learn Mandarin but if someone says it is time to learn Mandarin, it reeks of arrogance and I am one of those who would say ***k u - not in this life I will learn Mandarin.

That's entirely Indian internal affairs. It's about outsiders voluntarily wanting to Chinese. Nobody forces anyone to learn anything. Your fiece reaction of learning Chinese tells a lot about your jealousy.

good for you, but chinese will never replace english or french or spanish popularity. some might want to learn chinese to do a translators job or something. other than that i don't see any necessity of learning mandarin. evewn to visit china for that matter. might help with the road signs or something but for business the chinese employ chinese who know english to take care of their overseas clients and to communicate with them.

Neither do I think that Chinese will replace French and Spanish in Europe, certainly not in my lifetime. I have been interacting with China for over 20 years, most who know Chinese are in the usual business like manufacturing. But now more and more are also happening in the cultural fields, as e.g. China has become the biggest art market in the world, Chinese artists are darlings of practically any art gallery of high reputation, Chinese cinema, modern dance etc. are also very present in Europe.

Even in India, I think there is an option for students to learn Chinese if they chose to...but that doesn't mean that there is a rush to learn Chinese. Most students prefer to learn French as their preferred foreign language.

Most students in Germany nowaday chose to learn Spanish as second foreign language, twenty years ago it was French and one hundred years ago French was even first foreign language anf English second.

The thing is, I have yet to see any German high schools offering any Indian languages. I did a search and there was nothing.

Chinese in indeed becoming more important. I don't expect it to displace English anytime soon, and I don't expect it to displace the Romance languages in Europe either. But it will inevitably be 3rd place in North America after English and Spanish, and 2nd in the rest of the world.

Götterdämmerung;2713539 said:
That's entirely Indian internal affairs. It's about outsiders voluntarily wanting to Chinese. Nobody forces anyone to learn anything. Your fiece reaction of learning Chinese tells a lot about your jealousy.

Mate - I can again assure you it is not my jealousy but it is my liberal nature having grown up in democratic world and living in an advanced one now makes me rebel against anything which is shoved down my throat without my approval. Having stated that here is something your official is saying -

Chinese official: Compulsory English lessons 'necessary'

This news maybe as of 2009 but nothing has changed since then as I still hear from my Chinese friends that their nephews and nieces learn English in their schools.

i used to like those chinese kunkfu movies as a kid but they were tanslated in english always. as for art, art transcends all borders and is not limited by a language. one appreciates art for its essense and the message it conveys why would u want to learn hindi to love a M F Hussian work of art?

Götterdämmerung;2713539 said:
Most students in Germany nowaday chose to learn Spanish as second foreign language, twenty years ago it was French and one hundred years ago French was even first foreign language anf English second.

The thing is, I have yet to see any German high schools offering any Indian languages. I did a search and there was nothing.

No Indian language is spoken by a billion people like Chinese is.

I think it will be the other way around. A lot more Chinese will english in future. Only those who are looking to working in china will learn Mandarin or Cantonese.

English is and will be the international language where everyone can communicate with each other. It just came out that way and is a good thing. There should not be any jealousy in that. All other languages will be the mother language of each country. People learn others' language for variety of reasons; may it be self interests, friends or job opportunities.

Obviously the more populous and prosperous a country is the more people will learn her language. That's the law of nature.

Back
Top Bottom