What's new

Israeli Derby Missile to Arm New Indian Fighter

Jason bourne

Reaction score
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd to supply air-to-air missile system to be fitted on 200 jets.

By Gil Ronen
First Publish: 2/17/2011, 9:25 PM / Last Update: 2/17/2011, 9:29 PM

India’s new Tejas fighter will be armed with Israel’s Derby missile, according to Indian website LiveMint. The Derby is medium-range active-radar seeker air-to-air missile, that can hit targets at about 50 km. away. Missiles that can achieve this range are known by the acronym BVR - beyond visual range.

A contract for supplying the Derby will be signed by March with Rafael Advanced Defense Systems. Rafael will also fit the missiles on about 200 jets, according to P.S. Subramanya, director of India’s Aeronautical Development Agency, which is developing the light combat aircraft.

The Indian Air Force (known, like its Israeli counterpart, as the IAF) has ordered 40 Tejas fighters to be built. The Indian Air Force also wants 100 units of the Mk-II version of the fighter, and the navy wants 60 of the naval versions, Subramanya said.

The jet "recently obtained restricted initial operational clearance, with a full clearance targeted for December 2012," LiveMint said. In order to obtain full clearance, the jets need to integrate a BVR missile - therefore, delivery of the missiles is expected in the second half of 2012.

India’s Sea Harrier jets carry Derby missiles. Rafael's Python missile, closely related to the Derby, was also an option for the Tejas, Subramanya stated.

Israeli Missile on India Fighter - Defense/Middle East - News - Israel National News

Wasn't there a report stating that the derby had failed to meet the advertised range when it was integrated onto the Harriers? I didn't actually have a range of the 50km? I could have sworn there was something about that.

Wasn't there a report stating that the derby had failed to meet the advertised range when it was integrated onto the Harriers? I didn't actually have a range of the 50km? I could have sworn there was something about that.

this is old news sorry :)

we are with israel. For a energy hungry country like India, buying oil should not be construed otherwise....

India-Israel :cheers:

Awesome News...:cheers:

India_Israel_Pin.jpg

Long live Indo-Israel friendship :cheers:

My Israel friends plz do understand that Oil from Iran is pure business and no heart in there :)

Both Iran and Israel are our friends, ditching one just to get favor from another is not manly enough.

India should make way for Iran to communicate and sort out their difference with the west. Iran needs us now even more.

hope more things come from Israel and yes mirage story was the sad part who knows arjuns are there and then green pine so let the good times continue god bless us all

What 'Astra' missile is doing ??.. India is buying these derbies and Mica's . Is that program is on delay ? or what ? Astra missile is also for the BVR.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom