What's new

Iran's New Fighter Jets Ready for Export!!! Who Might Buy?

Also what is Iran’s furtherest BVR range F-5 A2A missile? People forget that Brazilian F-5’s dont just have Grifo E they can be equipped with top of line Israeli and US missiles. That’s the real lethality.
I'm glad you brought this up as it reminded of a question; I've heard repeatedly from Mr. Azarmehr in recent interviews that the Fakour90 is supposed to be fitted to F4s and even Kowsar, even speculating that kowsar can likely carry only one underneath the main fuselage.
Now I always wondered how that would work radar wise, certainly it would be severely limited by the kowsar radar unless the aircraft was somehow getting extra data from the national air defense grid? If so, could that not be easily jammed in a war scenario as you mentioned? Can the Fakour go our farther and hunt on its own? How far must it be for its own radar to turn on?
Also, questions can be posted to the MehrAein youtube in Farsi text to about this and other topics for Azarmehr to answer if anyone is willing. typing in Farsi is a very cumbersome task for me as I have to change windows settings and constantly look up a chart to see which keyboard key corresponds to which Farsi letter and that takes a very long time.

Last edited:
Each of those Lego are a single T/R elements

that would mean less than 300 T/R (i counted, if each of the little lines is one module)

for comparison, rafale has 800+, the newest gripen is about 1000 T/R, j-10c is said to have 1200, su-57 at 1500+, the f-35 is at some 1600+, j-20 at 1800+, f-22 at 2000-ish

Last edited:
that would mean less than 300 T/R (i counted, if each of the little lines is one module)

for comparison, rafale has 800+, the newest gripen is a about 1000 T/R, j-10c is said to have 1200, su-57 at 1500+, the f-35 is at some 1600+, j-20 at 1800+, f-22 at 2000-ish
What about JF-17?

What about JF-17?

there is the often cited number that the KLJ-7A is said to have "over 1000" T/R modules

others say its 700. the reason being that the j-10C is re-designed from the j-10A (the j-10B being sort of a prototype) with bigger space for its radar and that its water cooled so the modules can be higher power and packed closer together allowing them to pack some 1000-1200 modules in it, while the jf-17 wasn't specially re-designed for KLJ-7A and its air-cooled so it could only pack 700 modules in the space allowed without overheating.

make of it as you will.

Last edited:
there is the often cited number that the KLJ-7A is said to have "over 1000" T/R modules

others say its 700. the reason being that the j-10C is re-designed from the j-10A (the j-10B being sort of a prototype) with bigger space for its radar and that its water cooled so the modules can be higher power and packed closer together allowing them to pack some 1000-1200 modules in it, while the jf-17 wasn't specially re-designed for KLJ-7A and its air-cooled so it could only pack 700 modules in the space allowed without overheating.

make of it as you will.

oh and for the record I think the number is closer to 700.

since the j-10c has some 30% larger radome diameter so if the j-10c is some 1200 modules, then 2/3 of that is 800, then you account for a little penalty with air-cooling and its comes out to about 700.

Following the unveiling of the Iranian Air Force's Kowsar twin engine light fighter in August 2018, and the initiation of mass production of the aircraft three months later, the Iranian military has announced its readiness to export the combat platform to friendly states. The showcasing of the fighters to potential buyers during an airshow on Kish Island was reportedly intended to demonstrate not only the capabilities of Iranian military aviation, but also the potency of the Kowsar to potential buyers. Brigadier General Abdoklarim Banitarafi, head of Iran Aviation Industries Organization, announced at the airshow’s opening ceremony regarding the Koswar: “We have already taken the necessary steps to export products that we are authorised to sell” - which he specified would include the export of fighters.

While the Kowsar is far from the first fighter jet to be produced by Iran, it is the first to enter mass production.

The platform is closely based on the F-5E Tiger II, acquired from the United States in the 1970s, and is prized for its versatility, cost effectiveness and low maintenance requirements.

While modernised variants of the F-5 continues to be deployed widely by U.S. defence clients, including Switzerland, Taiwan, Singapore and Thailand, the Kowsar is reportedly considerably more capable than the original American made platform.

The fighter makes use of high end sensors and avionics, and according to some analysts it may deploy the country’s lethal edge Fakour 90 long range anti aircraft missiles - an advanced derivative of the American AIM-54 which would give the fighters a longer air to air engagement range than any other combat aircraft in the Middle East.

According to General Banitarafi, Iran has already reached export agreements with China, Russia and Indonesia.

While Chinese and Russian acquisitions of Iranian fighters remains extremely unlikely, it is possible that the countries are supplying radar, avionics or missile technologies for the fighters which will be exported by Iran to third parties - much as China has done for the Pakistani JF-17 fighters.

With Indonesia modernising its air fleet with the acquisition of Su-35 air superiority fighters from Russia, the Kowsar could play a key role in expanding the country’s light fighter fleet and support existing squadrons of the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

A number of African states, possibly Sudan which formerly operated the F-5, have also been highlighted as potential future clients.

The Kowsar may also be marketed to Middle Eastern clients such as Lebanon or Syria - a less costly alternative to extra regional light fighters such as the MiG-29, J-10, F-16 and JF-17.

The marketing of the Kowsar for export could provide much needed extra revenues to the Iranian defence sector, and mark the beginning of its emergence as a military aviation power - albeit a minor one.
im sure you stole the thread title from the iranian cars thread..

I'm glad you brought this up as it reminded of a question; I've heard repeatedly from Mr. Azarmehr in recent interviews that the Fakour90 is supposed to be fitted to F4s and even Kowsar, even speculating that kowsar can likely carry only one underneath the main fuselage.
Now I always wondered how that would work radar wise, certainly it would be severely limited by the kowsar radar unless the aircraft was somehow getting extra data from the national air defense grid? If so, could that not be easily jammed in a war scenario as you mentioned? Can the Fakour go our farther and hunt on its own? How far must it be for its own radar to turn on?
Also, questions can be posted to the MehrAein youtube in Farsi text to about this and other topics for Azarmehr to answer if anyone is willing. typing in Farsi is a very cumbersome task for me as I have to change windows settings and constantly look up a chart to see which keyboard key corresponds to which Farsi letter and that takes a very long time.

It was reported in an article written by BT that upgraded F-4E with Chinese Pulse doppler radar, like the one on the previous page could fire Fakour-90 but the Phantom with 4 x Fakour 90 could barely pull 4G's I think. Also, the plane's RCS was being enhanced so the idea was delayed in favor of a new project to militarize Fakour named Fakour-2 or Maghsoud.

The same article also mentioned that seeker of Fakour-90 was tested for lock against F-7N, Mirage-F-1, Karrar drone, Saeghe, Platus etc before the test. Its a proper long-range BVR weapon but unfortunately, we only have 45-48 active fighters who can fire this Aim-23B Hawk.

ifmat-Iran-starts-mass-production-of-air-to-air-missiles.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

for comparison, rafale has 800+, the newest gripen is about 1000 T/R, j-10c is said to have 1200, su-57 at 1500+, the f-35 is at some 1600+, j-20 at 1800+, f-22 at 2000-ish

Thanks for the info.

Can you post side by side pics of KLJ-6F, KLJ-7, KLJ-7A, KLJ-10, JL-10A ?

the radar is from at least 6-7 years ago and look at the nose of F-5 and compare it with the nose of those airplanes you mentioned

Last edited:
well, IRIAF is steal waiting for a big purchase , if can't then they only have 2 choice , 1- being disbanded , or accept cheap indigouise fighter with limited value and try to improve it like what Pakistan did with Jf17....

there is no real fighter jet with national wide support and budget in Iran right now...

Bigger fighter jets can carry bigger radars. I know it’s crazy. Who would have thought?

well, IRIAF is steal waiting for a big purchase , if can't then they only have 2 choice , 1- being disbanded , or accept cheap indigouise fighter with limited value and try to improve it like what Pakistan did with Jf17....

there is no real fighter jet with national wide support and budget in Iran right now...
Surprised you guys haven't made a Super Tomcat with Iranian only indigenous parts along with improve tech and so on. Should have an industry to build more.

Thanks for the info.

Can you post side by side pics of KLJ-6F, KLJ-7, KLJ-7A, KLJ-10, JL-10A ?

none-export, PLAAF, radar images are very hard to find. there are more of the export radars.

but there are some things we can infer.

This is the SY-80 for the j-7, its pretty much the same visually to the KLJ-6E which itself is similar visually to the KLJ-6F
As you can see, its pretty small, because of the limitations of the radar dome for the j-7/mig-21 , one of the reason why china builts the j-8 with the intakes at the side allowing for a bigger radar.
1646007371012.png

KJL-7, with a clearly far larger size than what can fit on the j-7
1646007526458.png

1646008481624.png

1646007708523.png

KLJ-7A , diameter is going to be roughly the same as the kjl-7, because its for the same plane.

testing in a Y-7 test plane
1646007777729.png

with the cover on
1646007833159.png

LKF-601E, which lost against the KJL-7A

1646008648346.png

1646008690634.png

earlier KLJ-3 on the first models of the j-10A

KLJ-3
1646009565304.png

1646009746823.png

1646009944250.png

it isnt confirmed what the KLJ-10/A looks like but there are some images

j-10B, people thought this was PESA, but later chinese published media said its ASEA. this might be the KLJ-10
notice that the nose was entirely redesigned and flattened, this design then carried over to the j-10C
1646010064887.png

1646010454094.png

Later this popped up, which is where people got the 1200 T/R count for the j-10C from, it states that this is gen 1.5 of chinese AESAs from NRIET, the middle one being gen 2 for j-16 and bottom one being gen 3 for j-20(also where people got 1800+ T/R for the j-20 from). while this radar is clearly the one on the j-10B image but we have no reason to think the j-10C would have a lesser count.
1646010111996.png

Regardless, most think this is a image of the j-10C radar which should be the KLJ-10A, it would have benefited from the development of the j-16 and j-20 radars.
1646010561203.png

Bigger fighter jets can carry bigger radars. I know it’s crazy. Who would have thought?
still waiting on your proof that the su-35 in chinese hands has something other the the Ibris-E

Last edited:
the radar is from at least 6-7 years ago and look at the nose of F-5 and compare it with the nose of those airplanes you mentioned
yes, it a smaller nose. i was thinking more that it has a greater than 50% the nose diameter of say a jf-17(itself not that large) but less than half the T/R count.also i wonder how much power those engines can provide, and if power limitations are what kept them from enlarging the nose.

Surprised you guys haven't made a Super Tomcat with Iranian only indigenous parts along with improve tech and so on. Should have an industry to build more.
- limited budget,
- mismanagement ,
strong IRIGC lobby witch doesn't want to hae strong rival air force ( IRIAF is part of army )
- Useless commanders in air force who only ants their salary and are ot going to risk their own status by asking for modernization of air force
- corrupted military industry which doesn't want to spend on R&D and face new real challenge
- governments which actively want to cut army budget ...

- and so ....

only khamenei irect orrer an pressure can solve some of problem , or a charismatic air force commander in chiefwhichsk every thing for it or very badly humiliating defeat ....

khamenei is old and currently he is the one who are getting control by military industry and IRGC ,
air force is hopeless

so only remaining option is humaliting defeat which will destroy this useless vair force in case of war any way

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom