What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Aras-2 & Ra'd
2576672.jpg

2576671.jpg

https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/983616/رونمایی-از-خودروهای-تاکتیکی-ارس2-و-زره-پوش-رعد-عکس

political-25928874-1-2Vr.jpg

3831354_970.jpg

3831355_407.jpg

3831363_170.jpg

3831368_168.jpg

3831388_204.jpg

3831389_801.jpg

Production line of Aras-2
3831582_963.jpg

3831585_871.jpg

I totally would buy a Aras 2 as a consumer. It is an amazing off road vehicle. Common, make a consumer variant please :D

I totally would buy a Aras 2 as a consumer. It is an amazing off road vehicle. Common, make a consumer variant please :D

That is a consumer car let’s be real. It still can’t hold a candle to the power of American consumer trucks.

Disappointed in it to be honest. But fits in line with iran’s cost effective doctrine of cheap military items.

That is a consumer car let’s be real. It still can’t hold a candle to the power of American consumer trucks.

Disappointed in it to be honest. But fits in line with iran’s cost effective doctrine of cheap military items.

The American trucks are oversized for most applications. I think a Toyota Land Cruiser 70 series truck is what Aras 2 is replacing. Note that TLC 70 series are consumer trucks as well but are heavily used by military. In fact, some armored personnel carriers are built on the TLC chassis and frames.

I was reading an American military Blog and a member made a remark about the truck Radd that made me wonder... he said the truck is either too heavy because of weight of the armor or the suspension is too weak...now by looking at the photos of the Raad it appears that he may be right but I am no expert ... by looking at the back wheels the clearance between the wheels and the top troop carrier box seem too low...is this a problem or is he just making the comment to follow on the tradition of putting down Iranian products no matter what !!!!

I was reading an American military Blog and a member made a remark about the truck Radd that made me wonder... he said the truck is either too heavy because of weight of the armor or the suspension is too weak...now by looking at the photos of the Raad it appears that he may be right but I am no expert ... by looking at the back wheels the clearance between the wheels and the top troop carrier box seem too low...is this a problem or is he just making the comment to follow on the tradition of putting down Iranian products no matter what !!!!

They just fault it because its made by Eye Rainians!

The truck weigh 21 ton what you expect. It's heavy .

The American trucks are oversized for most applications. I think a Toyota Land Cruiser 70 series truck is what Aras 2 is replacing. Note that TLC 70 series are consumer trucks as well but are heavily used by military. In fact, some armored personnel carriers are built on the TLC chassis and frames.

Iran still lacks a military transport vehicle in the Humvee class.

This car would be torn up by small arms fire. Also as we know Iran’s consumer engine technology still is lagging, so what is the HP of this vehicle?

Iran still lacks a military transport vehicle in the Humvee class.

This car would be torn up by small arms fire. Also as we know Iran’s consumer engine technology still is lagging, so what is the HP of this vehicle?

But US military is getting rid of HUMVEE due to its poor performance in Iraq against IEDs and large caliber rounds. I recall an interview in which US soldiers were telling the reporter, they were soldering steel plates to the doors of the HUMVEE to make its more bullet proof but it added major weight and reduced airflow inside the vehicle...
edit: actually here is another video in which they are installing armor kits in the field:

I think, a lighter more agile vehicle at the cost armor has proven itself. Look, in reality, unless you move to something like an MRAP, you have slim chance of surviving 12, 14 and 20 mm sniper rifle rounds, RPGs, ATGMs and IEDs... So its better to be more agile to get the **** out of the danger. A robust vehicle that can run reliably and has smaller foot print yet it can add capability to reconfigure has proven valuable. Take a look at the Russians adopting the concept of technical:

Side note: almost all military or heavy duty trucks including TLC 70 series have diesel engines. These engines have lower horse power but generally have high torque. This translates to lower acceleration but ability to carry significant amount of loads, perform crawling and hill descending through engine back pressure. Of course you can get similar or better torque performance out of gasoline but the reality is diesel is a lot more available in remote places, it provides better range per liter and the engines have better durability.

For reference, here is HUMVEE's specification:

Humvee
High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV)
Engine 6.2 L (380 cu in) V8 diesel or 6.3 L gasoline or 6.5 L (400 cu in) V8 turbo diesel and non-turbo diesel: 190 hp (142 kW) @ 3,400 rpm / 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) @ 1,700 rpm
Transmission 3-speed automatic or 4-speed automatic
Suspension Independent 4×4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humvee

LANDCRUISER 70
Engine Engine 4.5L turbo diesel engine
Name 1VD-FTV
Displacement (cm3) 4461
Max power (kW/rpm) 151/3400
Max torque (Nm/rpm) 430/1200-3200
Valve train 32-valve DOHC Fuel system
Transmission Transmission 5-speed manual Gear ratios 1st 4.529; 2nd 2.294; 3rd 1.490; 4th 1.000; 5th 0.75; Reverse 4.313 Transfer Gear Ratio (H4/L4) 1.000/2.488
https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/t...le-hubs/lc70/files/lc70_spec_data_aug2018.pdf

I don't know what engine Iran has fitted the Aras 2 but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a reversed engineered Toyota diesel engine. Simply, they are the best and most reliable diesel engines.

But US military is getting rid of HUMVEE due to its poor performance in Iraq against IEDs and large caliber rounds. I recall an interview in which US soldiers were telling the reporter, they were soldering steel plates to the doors of the HUMVEE to make its more bullet proof but it added major weight and reduced airflow inside the vehicle...
edit: actually here is another video in which they are installing armor kits in the field:

I think, a lighter more agile vehicle at the cost armor has proven itself. Look, in reality, unless you move to something like an MRAP, you have slim chance of surviving 12, 14 and 20 mm sniper rifle rounds, RPGs, ATGMs and IEDs... So its better to be more agile to get the **** out of the danger. A robust vehicle that can run reliably and has smaller foot print yet it can add capability to reconfigure has proven valuable. Take a look at the Russians adopting the concept of technical:

Side note: almost all military or heavy duty trucks including TLC 70 series have diesel engines. These engines have lower horse power but generally have high torque. This translates to lower acceleration but ability to carry significant amount of loads, perform crawling and hill descending through engine back pressure. Of course you can get similar or better torque performance out of gasoline but the reality is diesel is a lot more available in remote places, it provides better range per liter and the engines have better durability.

For reference, here is HUMVEE's specification:

Humvee
High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV)
Engine 6.2 L (380 cu in) V8 diesel or 6.3 L gasoline or 6.5 L (400 cu in) V8 turbo diesel and non-turbo diesel: 190 hp (142 kW) @ 3,400 rpm / 380 lb·ft (515 N·m) @ 1,700 rpm
Transmission 3-speed automatic or 4-speed automatic
Suspension Independent 4×4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humvee

LANDCRUISER 70
Engine Engine 4.5L turbo diesel engine
Name 1VD-FTV
Displacement (cm3) 4461
Max power (kW/rpm) 151/3400
Max torque (Nm/rpm) 430/1200-3200
Valve train 32-valve DOHC Fuel system
Transmission Transmission 5-speed manual Gear ratios 1st 4.529; 2nd 2.294; 3rd 1.490; 4th 1.000; 5th 0.75; Reverse 4.313 Transfer Gear Ratio (H4/L4) 1.000/2.488
https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/t...le-hubs/lc70/files/lc70_spec_data_aug2018.pdf

I don't know what engine Iran has fitted the Aras 2 but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a reversed engineered Toyota diesel engine. Simply, they are the best and most reliable diesel engines.

Your information is outdated.

The initial humvees that were deployed to Iraq were lightly protected and then the newer generations were “uparmoured” to protect against damage.

And the Humvee isn’t going anywhere, there will always be a need for light troop transport. You can’t stick every troop into an MRAP.

Plus MRAP are getting their *** kicked in Yemen right now by Houthis. They are not the end all be all of transport. But they are much better than Toyota pick ups Iran is currently using. They would save countless border patrol lives, if the Iranian government wasn’t so cheap and careless with its forces.

Back
Top Bottom