What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

But I certainly agree,seeing how the defences handle a simulated large scale saturation type attack would be very useful,as with the increasing trend towards very cheap s-131/136 type weapons,these sorts of attacks will become increasingly practical,not to mention far cheaper than using the traditional gold plated turbofan powered million dollar cruise missiles.
Using those more expensive cruise missiles is part of USA's military doctrine + they have virtually unlimited war funds so the cost factor isn't a big deal to them, so I don't expect them to pivot to smaller drones in an attack against Iran
Thats one of the things that I admire about the AD-08,you`re arguably looking at the first purpose designed sam system intended for the shooting down of cheap precision guided aerial weapons,and to do it cheaply enough to be practical,because theres no point in using million dollar sams/a2a missiles on weapons costing in the low tens of thousands of dollars.
Interesting, I didn't consider its role in intercepting aerial weapons. I am not sure how effective it would be against stand-off munitions, probably better against Mk-84/mk-82 bombs than cruise missiles that travel faster like Popeye

Even against the former there's the challenge of detecting the bombs in time, but JASSM-ER has 1000km range so it should be possible

Using those more expensive cruise missiles is part of USA's military doctrine + they have virtually unlimited war funds so the cost factor isn't a big deal to them, so I don't expect them to pivot to smaller drones in an attack against Iran

Interesting, I didn't consider its role in intercepting aerial weapons. I am not sure how effective it would be against stand-off munitions, probably better against Mk-84/mk-82 bombs than cruise missiles that travel faster like Popeye

Even against the former there's the challenge of detecting the bombs in time, but JASSM-ER has 1000km range so it should be possible
This is where having both an external radar,and a longer ranged optronic scanner like the raad providing the optronic equivalent of a long range search radar,would potentially allow the AD-08 to work right up to the very limits of its performance capabilities.

I think that in a sneak attack against iran that you`d be right,but in anything lasting longer than a couple of months I would also expect the us stockpiles of those sorts of gold plated weapons to start to dry up,not to mention that the loss of its regional air bases and logistics support would likely impose some real operational constraints on its use of air power and aircraft deployed pgms against iran.

the west (read US and Israel) kept testing iranian air defenses and thus inadvertently strengthen the iranian air defense and detection / tracking.

Iran is the only nation on earth that (with Russian EW gear) hack and land the most modern US drone (at that time) RQ170

There is no other nation in middle east that have the will and the capability to challenge US air and naval power , and the US know this so they scared to make war with iran.

even the most loyal zionist president trump do not dare to make war with iran , he knew US will lost the war just like how crassus lost his campaign in persia

the west (read US and Israel) kept testing iranian air defenses and thus inadvertently strengthen the iranian air defense and detection / tracking.
very true

crashed Israeli Hermes drone = Shahed-123 --> Shahed-129 --> Shahed-149

intercepted US RQ-170 spy drone = Shahed-191/161/181 --> Shahed-171

captured US ScanEagle UAV = Yasir

Kaman 22 and Mohajer 10 also seem to draw inspiration from shot down US MQ-1 Predator UCAV

very true

Kaman 22 and Mohajer 10 also seem to draw inspiration from shot down US MQ-1 Predator UCAV
It may also come from Yemen, Wing Loong and other European UAVs were shot down, maybe some of them got inside Iran

very true

And yet [some] people call western weapons “shiny junk”.

Most of Iran’s drones are based on western designs. Even S-136 is a German design from 70’s/80’s

Israel's Hermes drone hunt by Hezbollah
Screenshot_20231118_195025_com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad~01.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_195038_com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad~01.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_195042_com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad~01.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_195054_com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad~01.jpg

Screenshot_20231118_195310_com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad~01.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom