What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

I’m going to revise my answer and say Mehran is the successor to 15th Khordad not 3vome khordad

It seems via the beauty of minitrizarion Iran has been able to bring the capabilities of 15th Khordad into a single TELAR.

Iran_unveils_new_Khordad_15_air_defense_missile_system_925_002.jpg

1700425267971.png

Notice the radar that 15th uses is very similar to radar that Mehran uses. Thus I believe instead of a battalion system like 15th, Iran was able to create a single solution design using more capable missiles.

Two schools of thought. One by incorporating radar with TELAR it reduces footprint and detection. On the other hand if enemy destroys your TELAR you lose both the radar and the battery.

Where as with 15th Khordad the battery can be in various locations and the radar at a safe distance.

Pros/Cons

I’m going to revise my answer and say Mehran is the successor to 15th Khordad not 3vome khordad

It seems via the beauty of minitrizarion Iran has been able to bring the capabilities of 15th Khordad into a single TELAR.

View attachment 1030167

Notice the radar that 15th uses is very similar to radar that Mehran uses. Thus I believe instead of a battalion system like 15th, Iran was able to create a single solution design using more capable missiles.

Two schools of thought. One by incorporating radar with TELAR it reduces footprint and detection. On the other hand if enemy destroys your TELAR you lose both the radar and the battery.

Where as with 15th Khordad the battery can be in various locations and the radar at a safe distance.

Pros/Cons
Khordad 15 radar is PESA and has 120km range (Sayyad-3), Mehran uses AESA radar and Mehran-2 SAM has 320km claimed range. The range difference is too big

even TELAR can use separate standalone radars, which probably explains claimed 320km range of Mehran-2

Khordad 15 radar is PESA and has 120km range (Sayyad-3), Mehran uses AESA radar and Mehran-2 SAM has 320km claimed range. The range difference is too big

Khordad is AESA, you are confusing the Joshan variant which is PESA

AESA is expensive to operate hence most times radars are off (non war). Hence why a PESA variant was produced for export and less valuable targets/plugging holes. An economical choice.

15th —> fire and forget via ARH seeker
Joshan —> SARH seeker

Pros/cons

And yes that’s why it’s 15th Khordad successor, it switched out Sayyad-3 for newer missiles.

View attachment 1030167

Pros/Cons
possibly theirs alot of tunnel systems around the south of the country. allows for much easier hiding of all-in-one system. I suppose they are confident on it's survivability compared to a three piece setup.

so much easier to move these around to evade satellite detection compared to the full system of the s-300/400. almost instant preparation time.

possibly theirs alot of tunnel systems around the south of the country. allows for much easier hiding of all-in-one system. I suppose they are confident on it's survivability compared to a three piece setup.

so much easier to move these around to evade satellite detection compared to the full system of the s-300/400. almost instant preparation time.

Ideally you would have a Dey 2.0 protecting it close by from PGMs or drones. As we see in Ukraine, once a system is spotted (Russian S-300/400) they will spam the system till it gets overwhelmed.

Both systems would still be inside a Bavar or S-300 defense ring. But since Mehran is a much more expensive system than Tabas or Joshan or other less expensive Iranian ADs it absolutely does need a protection system in nearby vincinty if it plans to operate in near hot zones (border areas and sensitive locations).

The issue with mountains is these systems typically need to be placed on top of a mountain or else the mountain blocks some of the radar signal.

So enemy will take advantage of Iran’s terrain by flying low in valleys when it can. F-117 was notorious for this using an avoidance radar system.

Ideally you would have a Dey 2.0 protecting it close by from PGMs or drones. As we see in Ukraine, once a system is spotted (Russian S-300/400) they will spam the system till it gets overwhelmed.

Both systems would still be inside a Bavar or S-300 defense ring. But since Mehran is a much more expensive system than Tabas or Joshan or other less expensive Iranian ADs it absolutely does need a protection system in nearby vincinty if it plans to operate in near hot zones (border areas and sensitive locations).

The issue with mountains is these systems typically need to be placed on top of a mountain or else the mountain blocks some of the radar signal.
i suspect you'd have the Mehran system TELAR, which would be attached to 3 other TELS with just the SAMs as a battalion setup.

they've miniaturized and designed these systems in such a way, that they can basically build a long range A2/AD ring at will, anywhere anytime with very fast preparation time with a 9th Dey and Mehran combination. Would essentially lock out any 4-4.5th gen aircraft from a 250km radius.

Something I noticed in a new vid I just saw

Attachments

• Screenshot (236).png
    Screenshot (236).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
3rd Khordad TELAR long-range AD system was already upgraded to 200km interception range (with Taer-3 SAM) + now Mehran phased array AESA TELAR long-range AD system with 320km interception range (presume with Mehran-2 SAM) also with EO/IR system

Bavar 373 (including TELAR upgraded version with Sayyad-4B having 300km+ interception range) is a higher end AD system, but maybe @AmirPatriot can shed some light on it. IRGC certainly not waiting for MoD, that's for sure. Still interested to see the promised successor to Bavar-373 "Arman" AD system (with claimed 400km interception range)
Bavar and Mehran systems are not really comparable except for in range.

IRIADF batteries defend major static points like cities, ports, and airbases. For this they need 24/7 operation which means they need to be mostly static - road mobility is just for moving to other areas and limited shoot-n-scoot. That's why Bavar has 4-6 TELs and 2-3 radars - it's defending important points and therefore needs a lot of missiles and information.

IRGC air defence doctrine relies on TELARs that pop up in impromptu locations, often on their own, based on intelligence. The RQ-4 shootdown was done by a single 3rd Khordad TELAR in the middle of nowhere. This is fine for conducting guerrilla attacks like RQ-4 but not suitable for protecting static points. Any time the IRGC needed to do that, they purchased MOD products like Sayyad-2 system.

I could go on with the other differences but I think you get the idea.

Bavar and Mehran systems are not really comparable except for in range.

IRIADF batteries defend major static points like cities, ports, and airbases. For this they need 24/7 operation which means they need to be mostly static - road mobility is just for moving to other areas and limited shoot-n-scoot. That's why Bavar has 4-6 TELs and 2-3 radars - it's defending important points and therefore needs a lot of missiles and information.

IRGC air defence doctrine relies on TELARs that pop up in impromptu locations, often on their own, based on intelligence. The RQ-4 shootdown was done by a single 3rd Khordad TELAR in the middle of nowhere. This is fine for conducting guerrilla attacks like RQ-4 but not suitable for protecting static points. Any time the IRGC needed to do that, they purchased MOD products like Sayyad-2 system.

I could go on with the other differences but I think you get the idea.
Thanks. Is the claimed 320km range for Mehran-2 SAM plausible just with the TELAR radar, or would it require separate supporting acquisition/tracking radars?

Thanks. Is the claimed 320km range for Mehran-2 SAM plausible just with the TELAR radar, or would it require separate supporting acquisition/tracking radars?
I would think just the telar; ofcourse when connected to the national air defense grid, it could be fed info from much higher level radars of things much farther away.
I asked before if anyone thinks this system uses either Meraj 4 of bavar or Bashir or Najm for higher tier battle management.
If the 320 range is not from telar but from a higher radar, then what do you think the telar range might be?

Back
Top Bottom