What's new

Iran offers Pakistan 80,000 barels per day of oil.

Pak47

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2-29-2012_37608_l.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Iran has offered 80,000 barrels per day of oil to Pakistan on a three-month deferred payment plan, an official in Islamabad said on Wednesday, in an attempt to soften the impact of Western sanctions and ease some of Pakistan's energy needs.

Tehran's offer comes a week after Pakistani officials revealed that Iran had asked to import a million tonnes of wheat in a barter deal, with the latest Western sanctions over Tehran's nuclear program disrupting critical food imports.

"It is only an initial offer of 80,000 barrels (per day) on deferred payment at the moment," Irfan Qazi, a spokesman for Pakistan's Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Resources, told Reuters.

"We don't know about the modalities or how it can be worked out yet. A delegation from the ministry will visit Iran in the middle of March to follow up on this offer."

Pakistan would import Iranian fertilizer and iron ore under that wheat proposal.

Energy-starved Pakistan is looking to increase its fuel imports to reduce power shortages that have crippled industry, prompted riots and shaved percentage points off its GDP growth.

The United States imposed the harshest in a series of sanctions on Tehran over its nuclear program on December 31, targeting institutions that deal with Iran's central bank or other blacklisted Iranian financial entities.

Countries with significant Iranian oil imports are voluntarily cutting down on such purchases to avoid penalties.

Tehran has dramatically widened its reach on international grain markets in February, using currencies other than dollars and euros as alternative trade finance, with dealers also reporting talk of barter deals involving oil and gold. (Reuters)

Iran offers Pakistan 80,000 barrels per day of oil: official

i think if USA agrees to finance even a single dam, it will be much better for us than iran gas..most will disagree but i am talking in financial terms..a single dam will produce 4-5 thousand MW of electrcity which is more than what we can produce from Iranian gas project..while iran offers us at approx 12 $ BTU (local gas costs 4BTU) the dam will gie us that energy virtually at zero running costs.

we have enough gas to meet our demands if we divert it away from power sector..power sector consumes 40% of gas..to do that we need coal and hydro projects

Pakistan should improve relations with neighboring Iran, Pakistan will have to live next to this country for all of eternity while Saudis and Americans are far away. Lately Iran is offering a lot of help to Pakistan to overcome the energy crisis, Pakistan should not let this opportunity go by.

On the other hand though it's a good move by Pakistan I also see Iran easing its pain due to Western sanctions which will only increase. Pakistan will be very happy that it helps its current energy crisis and also the deffered payment plan favors the need of the hour. Overall a good move by both the countries... Pakistan is starting to get out of uncle SAM's shell and standing on it's own feet with looking for allys where they have as much say.

i think if USA agrees to finance even a single dam, it will be much better for us than iran gas..most will disagree but i am talking in financial terms..a single dam will produce 4-5 thousand MW of electrcity which is more than what we can produce from Iranian gas project..while iran offers us at approx 12 $ BTU (local gas costs 4BTU) the dam will gie us that energy virtually at zero running costs.

we have enough gas to meet our demands if we divert it away from power sector..power sector consumes 40% of gas..to do that we need coal and hydro projects

Every one shall agree to facts and logic!

Ground reality is; most of Pakistani oil is being supplied to contractors/NATO on 1/3 cost!

Quite tricky politics are being made by both Iran and US. Only the execution of announcements, will determine what's cooking.

A usual dam will produce like 100-500 MWatts of electricity. Iran does produce dams with capacity over 1,000 Megawatts completely on its own and Iran is one of the largest dam producers in the world, but here we're talking about oil, the only consumption of oil is not to produce electricity and heat, almost anything around you is derived from oil someway, so please notice the difference first.

i think practically not it is not possible
we cannot disturb our relations with west especially with uncle sam
i m afraid may be Pakistan cancel the deal of gas pipe line

i think practically not it is not possible
we cannot disturb our relations with west especially with uncle sam
i m afraid may be Pakistan cancel the deal of gas pipe line

What has Uncle Sam given you? Oh yea I forgot, drone strikes that kill Pakistani children.

Back
Top Bottom