What's new

Interview Questions for JF-17 Program

I have a few questions:-

Have the JF17 EW systems been used in any real life situations and how did it fare?
1. Is there a plan for a twin engine JF18?
2. Do we have an evolution map to deal with the evolution of the enemy weapons systems?
3. Why haven't we developed our own jet engine?
4. Do we have the defense education setup to keep the momentum going in aeronautics, mechanical/chemical engineering, electronics/electrical and communications?
5. Are we doing our own research in air-frame materials science or are we dependent on China?
Do we have the ability to make larger planes?

Please give our appreciation for the work they have done!

Last edited:
Hi @Irfan Baloch
As pointed out by a few members before me, I would like to add my questions, I dont know if it will be addressed honestly, but here I shoot:
1) What were the specific contributions by Pakistani research establishments, given the plane was entirely designed in China and then handed over to Pakistan for production. A detailed video posted on this very forum a couple of months back(made by a Pakistani anchor) clearly showed the contribution of PAC, which was limited to manufacturing of sections of fuselage-notably the front. The rear fuselage along with wing planform came from China. It will be nice to have his/her opinion.
2) I know ITR and STR will be classified, so wont ask. However a rough classification will help us understand the kind of maneuvering it is capable of.
3) As pointed by one member, what is Pakistan doing in order to enhance the capabilities of in-house R&D, particularly, in areas ranging from proper sub-sonic, super sonic wind tunnels, RF RCS measuring facilities, Super computing facilities for running Monte-Carlo simulations or for CFD mesh etc? Without these there is no scope of an indigenous design ever appearing from Pakistan.
4) Since I am into Controls, I would like to ask, if they have been able to successfully digitize entire FCS? Is it gain scheduling or MRAC(Model Reference Adaptive Control)? Is it unstable like the LCA? How easily can the flight envelope be expanded by just changing the flight control laws if at all there is digital FBW.
5) Isnt there a plan to develop a BVR with China or will they integrate PL-15 type missile at a future date? How satisfied are they with SD-10?
6) And lastly, why isnt there any research seminars during something like IDEAS wherein Pakistan research establishments particularly PAC delivers lectures on what did they contribute, what was the challenge and how did they overcome it--something like how it is done at both Aero India and DefExpo. You can find plenty of seminar talks by our labs working in various domains, their design, their challenges and how exactly did they overcome it, whereas not even a single such seminar talk exists in Pakistan. What are your or his thought on this?

Last edited:
I have one question.

Where did he originally see the JF-17 by the end of its service life (25-30 years down the line)?
Would it remaining basically the same design with upgraded electronics along the way, or did he and the rest of the team expect to have major air frame design change along the way.

Any thing special in blk3 ew to counter rafael and su's ?

thanks for the contribution so far. but it seems that one point is lost to many posters here that he was one of the pioneers of this program that dates back few decades. he retired in early 90s and therefore have no direct knowledge to the current and future evolution. of course he can make an informed opinion or get some insight from his contacts but be prepared if he just simply says its beyond his time of service or scope of his project involvement.

Keep me in the loop for publishing. @Irfan Baloch
indeed as we need to publish it in our signature PDF content.
someone has reviewed this thread on his behalf already I will discuss this with you separately.

jf-17_1521546331.jpg

We have a rare opportunity to get a personal insight and personal view of one of the pioneers of the JF-17 program. he was the original head of the countermeasures (EW) suit concept and development of this program

use this thread to post your questions

I will request a general over all brief about the program how and at what level he was involved and its evolution from the original concept to all the challenges and milestones achieved leading to the block 3 and beyond. of course he has long retired but he will give enough insight to everyone's interest.

depending on the quality of questions and what can be shared publicly I will conduct a second part of the interview through his help to speak to those who are heading different elements of this program

all questions will be posed to him and there is a chance that some information maybe classified so I will get better alternative questions for a useful and interesting interview for all defense Aviation buffs.

there is no set timeline for this interview but we have to send out a proforma questions to him originally to setup a time and conduct a though interview and it will be definitely be different from the cringe worthy tv programs done where the hosts have no clue about the subject matter and they are painful to watch

so fire away. dont worry about repeated questions as we will compile them and group them according to their subject and then use them in the interview.

thanks
@Oscar @MastanKhan @gambit
if you guys can spare some time . few of your questions will make this interview worthwhile.

many thanks in advance.

thanks for the contribution so far. but it seems that one point is lost to many posters here that he was one of the pioneers of this program that dates back few decades. he retired in early 90s and therefore have no direct knowledge to the current and future evolution. of course he can make an informed opinion or get some insight from his contacts but be prepared if he just simply says its beyond his time of service or scope of his project involvement.

someone has reviewed this thread on his behalf already I will discuss this with you separately.

if you guys can spare some time . few of your questions will make this interview worthwhile.

many thanks in advance.
What were the problems in acquisition of the engines from the Russians and what are the current restraints if any in future acquisition.
I would like to know where he sees the thunder in 20 yrs from now ie the developmental cycle (his own opinion will do).
Lastly why was there a need to design a light weight fighter as against a meium weight fighter.
A

many thanks in advance.

Hi,

Pretty much every question has been asked---.

thank you all
grateful for touching different elements.
although it seems that some of the questions might be beyond his scope but its no harm putting those to him as he can take a view or get back to me afterwords after asking his colleagues who covered those elements

You are being conservative, most of the questions asked will not be answered. Telling from personal experience. However, since this is likely a planned interview, add my questions too.

1- EW suit, origin and features of the current version.

2 - Design layout of blk 3 aircraft and whether it includes any drastic changes (RCS cutting measures) or not.

3- two additional chin hardpoints for blk 3, confirmed or not?

4- RD-93 saw enhancements and increase in thrust for current blocks. Will it happen again for the 3rd block?

5- AESA for blk 3 is going to be Chinese and not Italian, which one will it be?

Since its a retired leader of the program my questions are more historical:

• We know that there was a dis-connection between the ew suite and the hardware development in super 7 program. How and who came up with the idea? (the pakistani side or the chinse side).
  • What was the background for this descision since it was a very different way of thinking?
  • What obstacles had to be dealth with to go forward with the program at that time with this new way of approach.
  • We know that pakistan had no choise since its option of buying aircraft where limited, but what did the chinese think they would get out of the super 7 program?
  • How much technical and know-how input where there from the pakistani side (ie from aeronautical engineers, pilots other techinal staff) into the program?
  • How deep is the modular design in the aircraft? is there any limitations? engine, fly-by-wire system, etc etc -what can and cannot be replaced by newer generation equipment?
thanks

I have a few questions:

1. The airframe as it exists today is a product of Chinese (Chengdu's) design capabilities of the late 1990s. Basically a 20 year old conservative design, and not competitive to the aircraft it will fight against (Rafale, Su-30MKI) or the aircraft it will compete against (JAS-39E/F Gripen, F-CK-1). What is the reason the airframe has not received any updates in last 20 years.

2. The aircraft will be flying against an advanced and highly integrated enemy IADS. Why has there not been any consideration been given to the incorporation of advanced towed decoys and expendable decoys, considering the massive increase in survivability the aircraft can gain from these relatively straightforward additions.

3. The lack of an IRST is extremely concerning. How can the PAF be confident of the radar working in the presence of advanced israeli and french jamming equipment the IAF's EW aircraft and fighter airfraft assets are equipped with. Even if the radar and datalinks aren't completely jammed, the enemy jamming will degrade the radar's detection/tracking range to a fraction of the original range. Why has an IRST been ignored given the high likelihood of such a scenario?

4. Why has the PAF not equipped the JF-17 with any 5g wvraam till date? Both MAA-1b, A-Darter and PL-10E can be equipped for a price that the PAF can easily afford, and even in the absence of an advanced HMD/S to take full advantage of the full off boresight capability, the missiles' kinematic performance by itself should have justified integration of such missile(s) at the earliest.

5. Would adding rough field takeoff and landing capability to the JF-17 (like the IAF Jaguars have) give any meaningful survivability advantage to the aircraft? would addition of such a landing gear be feasible for this aircraft?

thanks

"IF" my questions are selected and presented to the guest, may I ask that the questions be presented in their original and complete form. I would really appreciate that my questions aren't shortened, edited or modified in case they do end up being posed to the guest.

regards

Back
Top Bottom