What's new

Inside Pakistan's Sharp Sword - The Special Service Group (SSG).

A unit with aviation support should be temporarily deployed on rotation for conducting FFF (Find, Fix, Finish) Ops in Balochistan.

I guess it is already done which is evident from recent ISPR press releases which consistently mention of Air Assets and Insertion of heli dropped teams to fight the insurgent. The last year September Heli crash in which SSG commandos died is an example of Aviation units permanently stationed which are being used to hunt those identify through UAV ISR

With a success rate of 20-35% for joining SSG, the duration of raising of SSG division becomes a topic for discussion.
Are there any stories or books about SSG selection? Is it more tabbing like the SAS? I am more interested in the physical side of selection. 20-35% is a pretty impressive number

Last edited:
I guess it is already done which is evident from recent ISPR press releases which consistently mention of Air Assets and Insertion of heli dropped teams to fight the insurgent. The last year September Heli crash in which SSG commandos died is an example of Aviation units permanently stationed which are being used to hunt those identify through UAV ISR
Sometimes it’s better to mention something as a speculation/wish list, even when knowing it’s actually happening in reality.

I have done this many times in the past.

Are there any stories or books about SSG selection? Is it more tabbing like the SAS? I am more interested in the physical side of selection. 20-35% is a pretty impressive number
1945BE15-469E-419B-B932-A5B83A6D9658.jpeg

Example of one past intake:

~450-500 officers applied for selection to the SSG
- 60 were vetted for the actual selection because the rest were cut out in initial tests/screening
- 18 of 60 selected for induction training
- GHQ approved only 12 after more vetting prior to the start of training
- 9 of 12 passed basic and advanced commando course and of the 9, one was RTU'd. So 8 eventually made it into the SSG Companies.

Last edited:

- 60 were vetted for the actual selection because the rest were cut out in initial tests/screening
- 9 of 12 passed basic and advanced commando course and of the 9, one was RTU'd. So 8 eventually made it into the SSG Companies.
Thank you so much! What would be the average Physical Screening Test scores for a successful graduate? Run times, pullups, swim times, etc.

does this mean one or all of the following?
1 - pakistan army capacity to train SSG officers is low
2 - quality of officers applying is low that they fail to meet the standards
3 - standards are too high , way above to meet, set too difficult for no reason
4 - basic fitness of the army has gone down?

It could be all of the above and possibly none of the above. This example is before the establishment of the Special Operations School. My understanding is that intake has gone up to service the needs of the Special Operations divisional formation.

Old timers will say standards have gone down, contemporary officers will say roles have been diversified far more than in the days of their predecessors. Not all those who fail are failing in physical tests...many wash out in the aptitude and psychological tests which reflects the overall attrition.

Thank you so much! What would be the average Physical Screening Test scores for a successful graduate? Run times, pullups, swim times, etc.
I don't know and doubt any who have been through a recent selection will disclose the same. I will disclose one thing that has been universal with SSG selection. The pulls ups, push-ups and run times are simply used for initial screening. If you look around, you may find references to the minimum requirements. However, the real selection works on an individual basis. There are no limits described or defined. The instructors will simply give you guidance on what you need to do "next". You will either give up and RTU or stay and keep pushing till they have validated the mental/physical (its always mental first!) stamina. You have your rucksack and weapon, you have hiked a certain # of miles and come to the finishing point only to be told that you have to hike yet another x miles over extremely rough terrain and this is where most who are in the selection process break. I know of officers who made it till the very end and then gave up. The training cadre are experts at reading people.

Last edited:
Or we could go the way of our brothers in the middleast...let me share a story from personal experience....
This from a ssg passing out ceremony at charat, this is the time whe Gen. Alavi was the GOC SSG.
I met a few officers from Saudi Arabia who happened to be u.s ranger qualified, prior to comming to charat.
Now they met n we shook hands n the first thing they said was "brother we will never come to this place again". So I enquired about their story n was told they were least motivated n very disinterested in any thing to do with soldering, this inspite of the fact that on very weekend they were taken to isd where they had rooms booked at the Marriott.
So much so that the chief instructor told the whole course that think of the saudis as tourists....if they feel like doing any thing then let them join in....if not then let them be.

So which would u prefer!

Last edited:
Or we could go the way of our brothers in the middleast...let me share a story from personal experience....
This from a ssg passing out ceremony at charat, this is the time whe Gen. Alavi was the GOC SSG.
I met a few officers from Saudi Arabia who happened to be u.s ranger qualified, prior to comming to charat.
Now they met n we shook hands n the first thing they said was "brother we will never come to this place again". So I enquired about their story n was told they were least motivated n very disinterested in any thing to do with soldering, this inspite of the fact that on very weekend they were taken to isd where they had rooms booked at the Marriott.
So much so that the chief instructor told the whole course that think of the saudis as tourists....if they feel like doing any thing then let them join in....if not then let them be.

So much would u prefer!

That is more talk and less thought.

Now from experience I can tell you the following:

a. Our DA is an ***. ( a certified, boneheaded menial )

b. Our TRG coordinator Gen C is least interested in doing his job. ( i can tell u that from personal experience)

c. The cadets which do land here, are the ones who couldn't make it to the US, UK, France etc.

Lastly, there is something called as price of life, learn about it.

So much would u prefer!

b. Our TRG coordinator Gen C is least interested in doing his job. ( i can tell u that from personal experience)

c. The cadets which do land here, are the ones who couldn't make it to the US, UK, France etc.

Nothing to do with the price of life, Saudis in general are hard to train. I have heard similar accounts as those posted by reichmarshal above from a French instructor as well as a German one. That Saudi troops in general in courses abroad are bad and inefficient soldiers not wanting to do anything.

Nothing to do with the price of life, Saudis in general are hard to train. I have heard similar accounts as those posted by reichmarshal above from a French instructor as well as a German one. That Saudi troops in general in courses abroad are bad and inefficient soldiers not wanting to do anything.

sure,
you keep telling yourself that.

truth is hard to swallow but then again it is wt it is....u can twist it wt ever way floats ur boat...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom