What's new

Indians Searched For Hima Das' Caste After She Became India's First Gold Medallist on Track

undercover JIX

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Most Indians Searched For Hima Das' Caste After She Became India's First Gold Medallist on Track
Did you say the caste system is dead in India?
Zoya Mateen |

Updated:July 16, 2018, 2:37 PM IST
ssicon.gif

Hima Das of India, celebrates her victory in women's 400 meter race at the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships in Tampere, Finland. (Image: AP)

For Hima Das, who became the first Indian athlete to win gold in the women's 400-metre event at the IAAF World U-20 Championships, it's like 'living the dream'.

The 18-year-old from a nondescript village in Assam became the first Indian woman world champion in athletics. It's quite a big deal. Naturally, she has become a huge pride for the nation.

Indians have celebrated Das' victory vigorously, pouring their appreciation on social media. And, they are curious to know more about Das.

But there's something wrong with their curiosity. While celebrating the athlete's victory, most of the country are wondering--'What is Hima Das’ caste?'

The Google search on Hima Das, particularly her caste, saw a massive spike after she her triumph over the gold.

Google Trends showed how caste was the most searched “related topic” pertaining to Das, with the search highest from Assam, followed by Arunachal Pradesh, at the time of writing. Additionally, one just had to type Hima to get the immediate search result as “Hima Das caste”.

This isn't the first time that our countries obsessive preoccupation with cast- based identities have been at the forefront. Earlier, when badminton champion PV Sindhu won silver at the Rio Olympics, the Google search about her caste went up, especially from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana region.

This keen interest in Hima Das' caste has shown exactly what is wrong with us.
View image on Twitter

Reddit India@redditindia

The caste system is dead, right folks? #HimaDas #RedditIndiaDiscussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/8z0c3h/my_friend_told_me_to_see_the_suggested_searches/ …

7:04 AM - Jul 15, 2018

View image on Twitter

swaraj barooah@swarajpb

Well done India. Search for Hima Das on Google and one of the first suggestions are "Hima Das caste". Clearly that's the most important question about someone who has created history for India. #HimaDas

2:04 AM - Jul 15, 2018

View image on Twitter

Swati Singh@swatisingh1995

https://twitter.com/swatisingh1995/status/1018156648559341569

#HimaDas’s journey from rice fields of Assam to becoming a world champion fighting all adversities, Patriarchy, Poverty with determination serves as an inspiration. Yet, we never forget ‘CASTE’. #HimaDas’s caste is the most frequently searched thing about her on google. Shame.

Nandan Pratim Sharma Bordoloi @NANDANPRATIM

https://twitter.com/NANDANPRATIM/status/1018492481510563840

How people searching for 'Hima Das Caste' on Google is everything that's wrong with our society. Fans were rejoicing and internet was going crazy with everybody showering praises. But guess what many people were searching for the most? Her life story? No! sadly It was her caste!

Gaurav Somwanshi@Gauravsomwanshi

today feels like I'm in a time-machine and sent to the future. The google search for Hima Das is a lot LESS surprising than people expressing surprise/ shock for that act. .we still live in India, 2018 no? or is it post-caste already?

View image on Twitter

Swati Singh@swatisingh1995

#HimaDas’s journey from rice fields of Assam to becoming a world champion fighting all adversities, Patriarchy, Poverty with determination serves as an inspiration. Yet, we never forget ‘CASTE’. #HimaDas’s caste is the most frequently searched thing about her on google. Shame.

While we supposedly thrust ourselves into an era of great development and progress, such realities reveal the rotting state of an India, a country that continues to be deeply entrenched in archaic notions of caste and identity.

It seems we can't even celebrate a victory without knowing the person's caste.

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/mo...as-first-gold-medallist-on-track-1813187.html

LOL....so what is wrong in searching for Hima das caste or religion or language or state ? :cheesy:

Caste identity is a strong identity in India.

Many times stronger than language identity.

I am not Indian, its an Indian thing..so please let us know what majority of Indians found and what they did with that information.

Purely a general knowledge question.

How are you any different from those Indians who quired for a caste ? :cheesy:

They did a google search and you asked me. :lol: ...... same difference.

They will find and do the same thing you were thinking of doing. So the real question is, why were YOU asking for her caste ? :lol:

They will find and do the same thing you were thinking of doing. So the real question is, why were YOU asking for her caste ? :lol:

The question is why do you feel ashamed and insecure about yourself rape product? LOL

How about you Google yourself to find out which rapist fathered you LOL

you are proving to be a bhagat you know.
I am asking to find out what wealth of knowledge and information Indians are after.

you are proving to be a bhagat you know.
I am asking to find out what wealth of knowledge and information Indians are after.

This filthy rape product is feeling insecure. Let him get humiliated in every topic LOL
Dalit is what we call you , why do you call yourself Dalit ? :cheesy:

Get your DNA tested to find out how many times your ancestors have been "invaded" and impregnated. That will provide you with definite proof of which nation was built on rape. lol.

LOL How does it feel like being associated with rape 24/7?

You will have to defend Rapistan every minute of the day on this forum LOL

Back
Top Bottom