What's new

Indian students in Bangladesh continue protests as authority denies registration

Riyad

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Despite Sushma Swaraj’s assurance, Indian students in Bangladesh continue protests
india Updated: Jan 14, 2017 19:44 IST
default_author.png

Rezaul H Laskar
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
_5622f6aa-da5f-11e6-bfdf-9650955a20b7.jpg

Indian students at the University of Science and Technology, Chittagong, who have been protesting since Monday because they have not been registered by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council. (HT Photo)
Indian authorities are working with the Bangladesh government to address problems faced by more than 400 Indian students at a university in Chittagong who have been staging protests since Monday as they have not been registered by the Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC).

Officials swung into action after external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj took up a report on the issue by Hindustan Times on Thursday. In a set of tweets late on Friday, Swaraj said she had received a report from the Indian high commissioner to Bangladesh, Harsh Shringla.

_9028be8a-da63-11e6-a473-4fa7bf176867.jpg

She tweeted the problem had arisen because the Institute of Applied Health Sciences at the University of Science and Technology, Chittagong, had “admitted more students than permissible”.

_ca18fc92-d8d6-11e6-a473-4fa7bf176867.jpg

The Indian envoy is in touch with the university and BMDC to find a “satisfactory solution”, she said. Swaraj also asked the Indian students to remain in touch with the Indian mission in Dhaka.

Despite the assurances from Swaraj, the Indian students continued their protests on Saturday. They held a rally near the university and demanded speedy action by the university’s administration. The protests had begun on Monday.

I have received the report from Mr.Harsh Shringla Indian High Commissioner in Bangladesh. /1 https://t.co/1d8uRFelQC

— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) January 13, 2017
The University has admitted more students than permissible. He is in touch with the University and Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council /2

to find a satisfactory solution. Indian students should remain in touch with our mission in Dhaka. /3

“We wanted to block a nearby highway but we were turned away by police. So we marched in a rally. No one from the high commission has come to meet us but we are hopeful that action will be taken as we have seen the external affairs minister’s tweets,” an Indian student, who did not want to be named, told Hindustan Times.

The Indian students drawn from across the country are part of three batches, comprising a total of about 1,000 students, who have not been registered by BMDC. Students from Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh too are part of the affected batches.

Some Indian students said the situation is particularly difficult for candidates who have to sit for their final MBBS examination from January 23.

_a2469fb0-da63-11e6-a473-4fa7bf176867.jpg

_8db21cb6-d8d6-11e6-a473-4fa7bf176867.jpg

Officials of the university acknowledged that the problem had arisen because BMDC had decided to register only a fixed number of students from every institution after a larger number had already been admitted. They said the registration is done after the admission.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...ue-protests/story-5BWRvEEmrskRcwPNKiTm7I.html

Last edited:
I guess they admitted more students then possible. Totally the institute's fault if that's the case.

C'mon don't harass the students. Our educational institutions need major upgrades in both administrative and qualitative side....

these institutions are more interested in earning big bucks rather than improving quality of education.

I think students should never be a victim of politics. Bd should register them if they fulfil the requirements.

I really find something fishy here..i wonder why they go to such a small town to study medical? They could have gone to Dhaka if they are interested...Is this university is a sham university ?

I really find something fishy here..i wonder why they go to such a small town to study medical? They could have gone to Dhaka if they are interested...Is this university is a sham university ?
IDK but normally the bigger cities have better institutions in subcontinent or at least they have higher merit because students prefer to go to a larger city but if they have been given admissions then they must be registered too.

Chittagong is not a small city my friend. There are very big and good universities in every other distrct towns.

i need Indian members here . why indians go for study in BD?

Pakistanis also do and They outnumber Indians.

On topic: It is not a serious issue. Private Medical colleges like this one admit extra students just to earn more cash without having adequate facilities. So BMDC has taken a step to teach the Private Universities a lesson.
The students will probably lose A year or 6 months for the issue.

i need Indian members here . why indians go for study in BD?
Some Indians come to Bangladesh for medical studies. They are mostly from Assam and Kashmir sometimes........
I'm not sure what they are doing in CUET tho......it's not really that good among the Engineering Universities. BUET, DU, KUET, JU are the better ones among the govt Universities for engineering.

this is also happening in philippines i saw with my own eyes they cannot get visa and the suffering of the indian student

so for bd they should register and fix asap they came to study and we should help them i got the point they admit more then there are seats available same happen in Philippines also

No.They admitted more students than the athourised quota. They are a legit institution, doing something illegit. And BMDC is no fan of that.

Pakistanis also do and They outnumber Indians.

On topic: It is not a serious issue. Private Medical colleges like this one admit extra students just to earn more cash without having adequate facilities. So BMDC has taken a step to teach the Private Universities a lesson.
The students will probably lose A year or 6 months for the issue.

Weird, cuz in Pakistani engineering & medical colleges Central Asians, Somalians come & study, its cheap. Please can you give any link with figures of pakistanis in bengladeshi medical colleges, otherwise what you're saying has never been heard before ?

Back
Top Bottom