What's new

Indian PM in Australia

Tony is 57, Modiji is 63. Tony is an unpopular PM of a nation of 23 million people, Modiji is a leader of a nation of 1.25 Billion people.

There is no scope for that fool Tony to call Modiji "Narender".

Even Raj Thackray has more support than Tony.

Even in western culture there is something called etiquette. He can called Modiji "Narender" in private but not in a publkc press concerence. Modji is the PM of India. His name should always be taken with Respect, not affection.

But even modiji called him Tonny ;) sounds like tommy :))

What r u complaining about??

In west, mostly they use first name whether u r a cleaner or ceo.

Too much (artificial) hierarchy (& the accompanying hypocrisy) is an oriental trait.

Is that why people go around calling Obama, barak ? .... or do they call him Obama ? Ever wonder why ?

Did they call "george bush", George ? or Bush ?

Dignity of labor is NOT the same as Respect. Don't mix the two. First understand the difference before pretending to be an expert on oriental traits.

Last edited:
Tony is 57, Modiji is 63. Tony is an unpopular PM of a nation of 23 million people, Modiji is a leader of a nation of 1.25 Billion people.

There is no scope for that fool Tony to call Modiji "Narender".

Even Raj Thackray has more support than Tony.

Even in western culture there is something called etiquette. He can called Modiji "Narender" in private but not in a publkc press concerence. Modji is the PM of India. His name should always be taken with Respect, not affection.
What the F** ! I am working in company and my company's country head is 60. I still call him by name and that too by his first name. There is difference between Formal and informal calling. Formal calling is Mr Modi and Informal calling is Narendra. Moving to Informal calling refers that they crossed first barrier of being Formal.

What the F** ! I am working in company and my company's country head is 60. I still call him by name and that too by his first name. There is difference between Formal and informal calling. Formal calling is Mr Modi and Informal calling is Narendra. Moving to Informal calling refers that they crossed first barrier of being Formal.

Only in private meetings, in a public fora where he is the PM of Australia and Modi is the PM of India, it is always formal.
Only an idiot will assume that public fora is the same as a private meeting.

What you do with your personal life is your problem.

Guys, please stop arguing over petty things.

I'm assuming most of you are under 20 based on the way you talk. If he addressed Modi by his first name it just means he's trying to establish a personal rapport. You only address someone by their first name if you know them personally, and they've both called each other their 'good friend' so it's only natural that they address each other on first name basis.

Guys, please stop arguing over petty things.

I'm assuming most of you are under 20 based on the way you talk. If he addressed Modi by his first name it just means he's trying to establish a personal rapport. You only address someone by their first name if you know them personally, and they've both called each other their 'good friend' so it's only natural that they address each other on first name basis.

You are stating the obvious. What you do not seem to understand that Indians (like many other culture) have a different standard of respect and many Indians will feel offended by Tony's attempts. Which is why sensible statesmen act sensibly and not like village idiots.

...as explained, Mod is NOT his peer.

If you pretend to be his peer, you only end up insulting Indians. No sensible statesmen or diplomat ever does that.
They are the same rank - head of govt of either country. By definition, he is his peer - a person who is of equal standing with another in a group. That's diplomatic protocol and convention. If you think that just because India has a billion people, our PM should rank higher than Australia's, you have no understanding of...well, anything.

Their domestic popularity or population bears absolutely no significance - the head of govt of each sovereign nation are equals. You think that if the Chinese head of govt visited India, the former would outrank the latter, because China has a higher population and GDP?

Is that why people go around calling Obama, barak ? .... or do they call him Obama ? Ever wonder why ?

Did they call "george bush", George ? or Bush ?
I was present at Barak Obama's victory convention on the day he won the presidency. The entire crowd was chanting in unision, "You rock, Barak!"

And make no mistake, Barak's popularity at that moment was as high as Narinder's is today, or more. He was given a rockstar welcome as well.

Now please stop discussing these trivialities.

They are the same rank - head of govt of either country. By definition, he is his peer - a person who is of equal standing with another in a group. That's diplomatic protocol and convention. If you think that just because India has a billion people, our PM should rank higher than Australia's, you have no understanding of...well, anything.

Only in an ideal world. In the real world there is such a thing as first among equals. Even in G20 meetings a few head of state stood out, Obama, Putin, Xi Jinping, Modi ........... that is because they were in a class of their own due to them being representatives of their nation. Look at any aussie media and you will see how these leaders made it to the front page while the rest of the leaders did not. Go read Al jazeera to see if they even bothered to publish anything about South Africa or Philippines or Turkey head of state.

Even diplomatic protocol and convention recognize this and do not treat all Head of state same. If display amazing ignorance about how the real world operate.

Their domestic popularity or population bears absolutely no significance - the head of govt of each sovereign nation are equals. You think that if the Chinese head of govt visited India, the former would outrank the latter, because China has a higher population and GDP?

As a matter of fact the Chinese head of state will certainly outrank the Sri Lankan head of state when both of them visit India. Their popularity, population, GDP and power plays a VITAL role in how they get treated. Its funny to hear you say they do not matter.

I was present at Barak Obama's victory convention on the day he won the presidency. The entire crowd was chanting in unision, "You rock, Barak!"

And make no mistake, Barak's popularity at that moment was as high as Narinder's is today, or more. He was given a rockstar welcome as well.

Now please stop discussing these trivialities.

When Narendra modi became PM the entire crowed was chanting "MODI" not "narender".

That should show you the difference between Indian culture and western culture. A statesman is supposed to act in a manner that is in accordance to his guests culture, not display his own theatrics.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact the Chinese head of state will certainly outrank the Sri Lankan head of state when both of them visit India. Their popularity, population, GDP and power plays a VITAL role in how they get treated. Its funny to hear you say they do not matter.
That was not the question I asked you. If a Chinese head of govt visits India, would he outrank the Indian PM? That's the right comparison.

That was not the question I asked you. If a Chinese head of govt visits India, would he outrank the Indian PM? That's the right comparison.

No foreign leader can outrank an Indian leader in India. But that doe not mean Indian leader act in a manner that reflect this. In fact it puts extra onus on Indian leader to show more respect and curtsy so that the foreign leader gets respect that can been seen by his countrymen.

No foreign leader can outrank an Indian leader in India. But that doe not mean Indian leader act in a manner that reflect this. In fact it puts extra onus on Indian leader to show more respect and curtsy so that the foreign leader gets respect that can been seen by his countrymen.
Then you know why a foreign PM cannot outrank an Aussie PM in Australa, contrary to your earlier claim that I'm insulting India by saying they are peers.

When Narendra modi became PM the entire crowed was chanting "MODI" not "narender".
That should show you the difference between Indian culture and western culture. A statesman is supposed to act in a manner that is in accordance to his guests culture, not display his own theatrics.
No, it's the other way round. The visiting dignitaries make at least a superficial attempt to follow that place's culture. You won't see Obama wearing a Dhoti when Modi visits - but you will and did see Modi dressed in western attire. When the Clintons visited India, Hillary and Chelsea wore Indian attires when they visited the Somnath temple - the priests there or the acompanying Indian dignitaries did not wear tank tops.

BTW Rahul Gandhi is always addressed as Rahul, even by his supporterss and worshippers. At his rallies the crowds shout "Rahul", not "Gandhi, Gandhi". So even in India, using a first name is not as bad as you are making it sound.

Now since you are the only person on the planet who seems to have a problem with this, I don't really see the point in discussing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom