What's new

Indian Navy to purchase 16 US multi-role choppers for $1 bn

For those interested in these things, the Official model designation of the Sikorsky MRH model will be known as the S-70B-7. This indicates the 7th model variation of S-70B aircraft which are in service with a variety of international navies. Just shows how good and experienced Sikorsky is at customizing an aircraft to meet the customers need. Can't wait for the next RFP for 120 aircraft to come out. Should be a bunch of contenders. Gonna be interesting! Despite what I have read, Sikorsky should have the inside track on winning that bid since the 70B should be able to fill all the required roles and the advantage for the Indian Navy having all one basic model aircraft to fill all its naval needs is enormous.
Always a pleasure to read your posts sir :)

Who else operates the S-70B-7?

Always a pleasure to read your posts sir :)

Who else operates the S-70B-7?
No one. This is again a new variant. No other model has the Flash sonar, ADLP will be replaced, new Anti-Ship missile, newer avionics to address obsolescence issues, and a bunch of other changes. Also, I appreciate the compliment. Thanks! Always enjoy sharing info with other professionals. Was never successful in contacting anyone in the Indian Navy. Will try again to hit up the Email addresses. May just be too early in the program. I may even get to work for Sikorsky handling some of the weapons mods that will be done. Would look forward to working for either as this will be the most advanced model of the "B" that has ever existed. It will be really kickass and the Indian Navy will love it!

No one. This is again a new variant. No other model has the Flash sonar, ADLP will be replaced, new Anti-Ship missile, newer avionics to address obsolescence issues, and a bunch of other changes. Also, I appreciate the compliment. Thanks! Always enjoy sharing info with other professionals. Was never successful in contacting anyone in the Indian Navy. Will try again to hit up the Email addresses. May just be too early in the program. I may even get to work for Sikorsky handling some of the weapons mods that will be done. Would look forward to working for either as this will be the most advanced model of the "B" that has ever existed. It will be really kickass and the Indian Navy will love it!
Great stuff :D

It is going to be quite a culture shock for the IN pilots coming from the Mk.42/SH-3 Sea Kings moving to the S-70B-7 then ;)

And perhaps it is too early, once the deal is signed (in a few months) then try contacting again? Good luck with everything sir.

Well, here we are in August 2015 and still no contract. I am sure you all heard the MOD seems to be delaying, from what I hear due to the escalation in price from the 2011-2012 quotes provided. Don't know the details but as you all could surmise there is a cost escalation factor each year after when the proposal was provided which is normal and to be expected. If anyone has any other info please share on this forum. Sikorsky has indicated they would likely offer me a contracting position sometime after the contract is signed but who knows. I will also try contacting the same MOD contacts I tried 6 months ago to see if the MOD/IN might be interested in my services. Would love working with the IN customer but they also will likely do nothing until there is a signed contract. If anyone does have any MOD/IN contacts and could share them with me it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, here we are in August 2015 and still no contract. I am sure you all heard the MOD seems to be delaying, from what I hear due to the escalation in price from the 2011-2012 quotes provided. Don't know the details but as you all could surmise there is a cost escalation factor each year after when the proposal was provided which is normal and to be expected. If anyone has any other info please share on this forum. Sikorsky has indicated they would likely offer me a contracting position sometime after the contract is signed but who knows. I will also try contacting the same MOD contacts I tried 6 months ago to see if the MOD/IN might be interested in my services. Would love working with the IN customer but they also will likely do nothing until there is a signed contract. If anyone does have any MOD/IN contacts and could share them with me it would be greatly appreciated.

You are better off tying up with Sikorsky, as a consultant. MoD/IN cannot appoint either agents or consultants. If Sikorsky now appoints a local agent in India (who has to declared, appointed and empanelled with MoD) then you could consider being appointed on a contract with that entity. However, MoD cannot appoint any representative; more so a foreign national.

You are better off tying up with Sikorsky, as a consultant. MoD/IN cannot appoint either agents or consultants. If Sikorsky now appoints a local agent in India (who has to declared, appointed and empanelled with MoD) then you could consider being appointed on a contract with that entity. However, MoD cannot appoint any representative; more so a foreign national.
Well @Capt.Popeye that is disappointing news to hear. Wonder why that is. You would think having someone with extensive knowledge of the S-70B would be highly desirable when getting a new aircraft with which they have no experience let alone having someone here in the U.S. to act as a liaison for the MOD/IN to Sikorsky.Thanks for the reply.

Well @Capt.Popeye that is disappointing news to hear. Wonder why that is. You would think having someone with extensive knowledge of the S-70B would be highly desirable when getting a new aircraft with which they have no experience let alone having someone here in the U.S. to act as a liaison for the MOD/IN to Sikorsky.Thanks for the reply.

Simply the Rules and Regns. that govern Govt. here. But get "onto the bus" via Sikorsky and the route that I outlined earlier.

India contract still on hold from what I hear. Same reason, India refuses to recognize the cost escalation that occurs each year the contract is not signed. They (MOD) want the original price negotiated almost 4 years ago which is simply not realistic. Not gonna happen, Sikorsky will walk away, in my opinion. Plus, the current escalated price provided to India will expire this year, perhaps very soon. India is being very very foolish. I feel bad for the Indian Navy which desperately need these aircraft. Until The MOD understands how to play in the international market place, they will continue to fail. Very disappointing to me personally being an ardent supporter of the S-70B.

India contract still on hold from what I hear. Same reason, India refuses to recognize the cost escalation that occurs each year the contract is not signed. They (MOD) want the original price negotiated almost 4 years ago which is simply not realistic. Not gonna happen, Sikorsky will walk away, in my opinion. Plus, the current escalated price provided to India will expire this year, perhaps very soon. India is being very very foolish. I feel bad for the Indian Navy which desperately need these aircraft. Until The MOD understands how to play in the international market place, they will continue to fail. Very disappointing to me personally being an ardent supporter of the S-70B.

Why should the price increase ?

Why should the price increase ?
You cannot execute a contract and hold profit margin if your customer wants a price valid 4 years ago. India was told multiple times about when their proposal expires. Sikorsky even extended pricing 1 or 2 times in the hopes of finalizing the contract. It's like you want to buy a car but you want to pay what it costs 4 years earlier. Not realistic!

You cannot execute a contract and hold profit margin if your customer wants a price valid 4 years ago. India was told multiple times about when their proposal expires. Sikorsky even extended pricing 1 or 2 times in the hopes of finalizing the contract. It's like you want to buy a car but you want to pay what it costs 4 years earlier. Not realistic!

toyota camry in 2015 cost the same as in 2000. It has more functionality.
no wonder the american carmakers need to be bailed out

toyota camry in 2015 cost the same as in 2000. It has more functionality.
no wonder the american carmakers need to be bailed out
OK, bad example on my part. Point is every part of that aircraft has a cost and the vendors that all contribute to Sikorsky's quote all have price validity timeframes. When they expire they all have to requote and Sikorsky has to pull everything together and provide an updated price. It's one thing when your making millions of vehicles as opposed to 24 of a very specialized aircraft. Not a good comparison, my bad.

OK, bad example on my part. Point is every part of that aircraft has a cost and the vendors that all contribute to Sikorsky's quote all have price validity timeframes. When they expire they all have to requote and Sikorsky has to pull everything together and provide an updated price. It's one thing when your making millions of vehicles as opposed to 24 of a very specialized aircraft. Not a good comparison, my bad.

the small scale of the business can increase prices
a lot of it is driven by greed and incompetence

Back
Top Bottom