What's new

Indian Navy to purchase 16 US multi-role choppers for $1 bn

Have not heard anything although I am sure Sikorsky would love to see a proposal for what they need. I assume you are speaking of a Blackhawk type of helo or are you referring to the follow on order for additional naval hawks?
I'm quite sure he is referring to the 100+ NMRH requirement the Indian Navy has. I'm sure that Sikorsky will be the frontrunners for any such order if the S-70B is already in Indian service. AFAIK this 100 figure breaks down as around 60 10 ton class ASW helos ( S-70B class) and around 40 12 ton ASW/utility helos for the LHD and Air Craft carriers (EH-101/S-92 class)

I'm quite sure he is referring to the 100+ NMRH requirement the Indian Navy has. I'm sure that Sikorsky will be the frontrunners for any such order if the S-70B is already in Indian service. AFAIK this 100 figure breaks down as around 60 10 ton class ASW helos ( S-70B class) and around 40 12 ton ASW/utility helos for the LHD and Air Craft carriers (EH-101/S-92 class)
Well that is interesting. S-70B should be the front runner if they can get this contract done. S-92 CH-148 Cyclone would likely be offered for the larger variant. Good news after all the R&D Sikorsky has pumped into that program.

Well that is interesting. S-70B should be the front runner if they can get this contract done. S-92 CH-148 Cyclone would likely be offered for the larger variant. Good news after all the R&D Sikorsky has pumped into that program.
The CH-148 would certainly be my preference for this requirement:

AIR_CH-148_Arrives_CFB_Shearwater_lg.jpg

226401-v1-MHP.jpg

The thing is just stunning!

@Rikbo sir, can you speak to the benefits this would bring operating alongside the S-70B i.e. training/logistics commonality?

The CH-148 would certainly be my preference for this requirement:

AIR_CH-148_Arrives_CFB_Shearwater_lg.jpg

226401-v1-MHP.jpg

The thing is just stunning!

@Rikbo sir, can you speak to the benefits this would bring operating alongside the S-70B i.e. training/logistics commonality?
Yea, after all the delays and work Sikorsky put into this aircraft it has turned into an excellent bird. Much of the delay was due to General Dynamics Canada screwing up the mission system, time and time again. But, from what I hear recently the customer is finally getting happy with this aircraft. As far as commonality, there is some due to the Blackhawk heritage for the aircraft, but the mission system is completely different. I believe the CH-148 uses a Canadian Marconi FMS so that system is quite different from the Rockwell Collins FMS that the S-70B uses. Radar and sonar systems are the same, not sure about the FLIR, you could check online.
So, all in all, quite different aircraft and systems for the most part. I'd still believe the integration of the 70B Mission, Sensor, Flight Management and Flight Control systems is much better for the operators than anything I have seen out there. From a Human Factors (HF) standpoint, it's just really well done. Simple, Intuitive, and direct. Proud to have been a part of the team that developed it!

Last edited:
Not really relevant to this thread but the CH-53K achieved first flight a few days ago. This is one bad *** aircraft. Thought those on this thread would enjoy. Amazing power and lift capabilities. Would make an awesome addition to the IN in the future when they start exporting these.

Not really relevant to this thread but the CH-53K achieved first flight a few days ago. This is one bad *** aircraft. Thought those on this thread would enjoy. Amazing power and lift capabilities. Would make an awesome addition to the IN in the future when they start exporting these.
why does its tail design looks weird ? or is it only to me o_O

Long term, these will definitely be of interest to the IN. A modern, truly navalised, heavy lift helo is not a common recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom