Indian Cabinet clears pacts to be signed with Central Asian countries

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Cabinet clears pacts to be signed with Central Asian countries | Zee News
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 - 20:36

New Delhi: A set of pacts, including the one of emergency response system, which are likely to be signed during Prime Minister's visit to Central Asian countries next week, on Wednesday received the nod of the Union Cabinet.

It is learnt that while pacts on tourism will be signed with Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, another on emergency response system will be inked with Uzbekistan.

The MoUs on tourism will help increase the inflow of tourists from the two countries to India and also ensure that more Indians choose the two countries as their next holiday destination.

Prime Minister Modi will be in Uzbekistan on July 6 and will leave for Kazakhstan the next day.

He will attend BRICS and SCO meets in Ufa, Russia, from where he will fly to Turkmenistan, Kyrgyztan and Tajikistan.

PTI

Updated: July 1, 2015 03:30 IST
Prime Minsiter Narendra Modi's entral Asia visit will focus on fighting IS terror - The Hindu

Radicalisation is a threat common to the region.
Countering the spread of Islamic State (IS) terror will be a key part of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s eight-day visit to five Central Asian states — Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan — next week (July 6-13), as those states gear up to battle the Islamic State’s rising influence. Mr Modi will also travel to the Russian city of Ufa to attend the BRICS and SCO summits affording him two opportunities to meet the Central Asian leaders and discuss counter-terrorism cooperation, sources told The Hindu.

The Prime Minister will discuss counter-terror technology, training forces and also countering radicalism. Significantly, the government had also appointed former IB chief Asif Ibrahim as a special envoy recently, with a mandate to discuss the spread of IS and terrorism, and liaise with governments abroad on the issue.

Modi_IS_2457351a.JPG

The countries in the Central Asian region, all of whom have sizeable Muslim majority populations have been particularly worried recently about the growing numbers of their youth attracted to the IS terror group. In particular the announcement this week of Colonel Gulmurod Khalimov, commander of Tajikistan’s Interior Ministry Special Forces, joining the IS forces in Syria has sent shockwaves through these states that are known for practising a moderate, multi-ethnic version of Islam. In IS recruitment videos, Kazakh fighters have featured prominently, and both Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’s intelligence agencies have claimed to have thwarted IS plots in their countries in the past few months. India has also been supportive of the efforts in these countries to curb radicalism.

In June, the U.S. State Department’s report on terrorism criticised many of the Central Asian countries for a crackdown on extremism, including Tajikistan for “prohibiting children under 18 from attending mosques”, and accused Turkmenistan’s government of “viewing conservative Islam with suspicion and exercising strict controls over the population.”

The Hijab has also been banned in many of these states, while men are discouraged from wearing long beards. “Given India’s efforts to counter Islamic radicalism, these Central Asian states, are natural allies,” an Indian official said.

Last edited:
Updated: July 1, 2015 02:46 IST
Modi's Central Asia tour to give impetus to TAPI project - The Hindu

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the five Central Asian countries — Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan — in July is expected to give an impetus to various energy and mining projects including the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) natural gas pipeline.

The multi-billion dollar TAPI project could be off to a year-end start, as the legal framework is expected to be in place by September followed by the announcement of the consortium. TAPI will also be on the agenda for talks when Prime Minister Modi arrives in Turkmenistan.

On Monday, Turkmenistan ambassador Parakhat H. Durdyev said developments on the 1,078-mile pipeline that will transport gas from Avaza to India will be announced shortly.

Modi brushes aside protocol for Kazakh visit

Turkmenistan ambassador Parakhat H. Durdyev said on Monday that developments related to the 1,078-mile Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) pipeline that will transport natural gas off the Caspian Sea resort of Avaza to India via Afghanistan and Pakistan will be announced shortly.

He ruled out delays from security concerns and said all the beneficiary countries are on the same page pushing for early implementation of the project. Continued violence in Afghanistan has been considered a reason for the delay in the execution of works related to the pipeline with a capacity to carry 90 million metric standard cubic metres of gas, of which India and Pakistan will get 38 mmscmd of gas, while the remaining 14 mmscmd will be supplied to Afghanistan.

India and Ashgabat are also expected to ink deals on the setting up of a fertilizer factory in Turkmenistan, on urea and potash supply and transport and energy sectors.

The PM’s visit to Kazakhstan is expected to give a fillip to the civil nuclear deal signed in 2009, to the proposed joint mining of uranium in Kazakhstan and to the Caspian Sea oil block drilling agreement, that India has 25 per cent stake in. India and Kazakhstan could also be finalising agreements on mining, mineral and oil and gas projects, which include iron ore, coal and potash exploration.

Mr. Modi is also learnt to have brushed aside protocol for his visit to Kazakhstan. India’s last visit to the country was in 2011, and as per protocol it was Kazakhstan’s turn to visit New Delhi. In 1992, India was the first country outside Commonwealth of Independent States region visited by President Nazarbayev after Kazakhstan became independent.

Tajikistan, where India has an air base, is looking to firm up ties with New Delhi on security, trade and investment during the PM’s visit.

PM Modi looks forward to strengthening India's relations with central Asian nations | Zee News
Last Updated: Sunday, July 5, 2015 - 16:37

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who will begin his visit to five central Asian nations and Russia on Monday, has said that he looks forward to strengthening India`s relations with these countries.

The Prime Minister will also participate in the BRICS and SCO Summit during the tour.

Prime Minister Modi will begin his trip by visiting Uzbekistan, where he will meet President Islam Karimov and sign key agreements to strengthen cooperation between the two countries.

"My first visit will be to Uzbekistan, which is the most populous country in Central Asia. India and Uzbekistan enjoy a close strategic partnership. In Uzbekistan I would be holding talks with President Karimov and we would be inking key agreements to strengthen cooperation between our countries. We want to expand our economic ties with Uzbekistan and enhance trade and economic linkages. I must add that President Karimov has visited India five times, including four times as President, with the last visit taking place in 2011," Prime Minister Modi stated in his post on Facebook.

"It is well known that Indian movies, language and music are very popular in Uzbekistan. In fact, the Uzbek radio completed 50 years of Hindi broadcasting in 2012. During this visit I would be interacting with Indologists, students learning Hindi and members of the Indian community. There are over 3000 Indians in Uzbekistan," he added.

The Prime Minister hoped that his visit will be a major step in expanding India-Uzbekistan ties.

After Uzbekistan, Prime Minister Modi will visit Kazakhstan. Stressing on the importance of India-Kazakhstan relations, the Prime Minister stated that New Delhi and Astana share a strategic partnership.

"I will be meeting President Nazarbayev, to whom I express my good wishes on turning 75 on July 6 and Prime Minister Karim Massimov, whom I had the opportunity of briefly meeting in Singapore in March this year. There will be delegation level talks with President Nazarbayev followed by the signing of documents and a joint press statement," Prime Minister Modi posted.

"India and Kazakhstan are cooperating in a wide range of sectors including energy and space. I see a huge opportunity for our economic ties to grow further. India and Kazakhstan can also increase ties in agriculture," he added.

The Prime Minister said that he was looking forward to interacting with the youth of Kazakhstan at the Nazarbayev University.

"I will inaugurate the India-Kazakhstan Centre for Excellence in Information and Communication Technology at the LN Gumilev Eurasian National University. I will join a wreath laying ceremony and planting of sapling at the Monument of Defenders of Motherland," he said.

"Our cultural ties with Kazakhstan are deep rooted. Our films, TV serials and dances are very popular. Yoga is gaining popularity. I must appreciate the enthusiasm with which Kazakhstan joined Yoga Day celebrations on 21st June," he added.

Prime Minister Modi further hoped that the BRICS and SCO Summit at Ufa in Russia will yield positive outcome.

"I will join the 7th BRICS Summit and SCO Summit in Ufa, Russia. In the past one year I have had the opportunity to meet the BRICS leaders at the Summit in Brazil and during other international forums. The Summit last year was productive and I am sure we will build on the ground covered during the last Summit. I expect positive outcomes in economic cooperation and cultural ties among the BRICS nations," he said.

"I will be meeting the leaders individually and will be a part of the various interactions of BRICS leaders with captains of industry and leaders of other invited states...India attaches high importance to BRICS. It is a great forum that can contribute effectively to mitigate global challenges. BRICS also has a very crucial role to play in further world peace and security and ensuring we leave behind a better planet for our future generations," he added.

After BRICS summit, the Prime Minister will reach Turkmenistan on July 11."This is the first visit by an Indian PM after PV Narasimha Rao`s visit in 1995. I view this visit as an excellent opportunity to strengthen India-Turkmenistan ties in several areas...The visit will begin with a meeting with President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov. This will be followed by talks, signing of agreements and a meeting with the press. Areas where I see a rich scope for better ties with Turkmenistan include tourism, fertilizers, space, science and technology and defence. Our bilateral trade is way below its potential and I am confident we can improve it," he said.

"I will inaugurate a statue of Mahatma Gandhi and a Traditional Medicine and Yoga Centre. I am very happy to see the increased enthusiasm towards Yoga in Turkmenistan. I will also lay wreath at the Mausoleum of the First President," he added.

Prime Minister Modi said that his visit will take India-Turkmenistan ties to the next level and benefit the citizens of both the countries.

The Prime Minister`s next visit will be to Kyrgyzstan.

Prime Minister Modi said that India shares strong ties with Kyrgyzstan.

"The fourth Central Asian country that I will visit will be Kyrgyzstan. This is the first Prime Ministerial visit in twenty years. I will be there on 12th July. My talks with President Almazbek Atambayev will be focused on ways to develop a strong partnership with Kyrgyzstan in as many areas as possible. Stronger economic ties between India and Kyrgyzstan will be very helpful in the long run. I am eager to also meet Prime Minister Semir Tariyev and Speaker of the Parliament Mr. Asylbek Jeenbekov," he said.

"We are glad to be gifting medical equipment to Kyrgyz Field Hospital. I am sure this will touch the lives of several sisters and brothers in Kyrgyzstan. I will inaugurate Tele-medicine links, which shall promote medical tourism from Kyrgyzstan to India. A statue of Mahatma Gandhi will also be unveiled. I will have the opportunity to visit the Kyrgyz-India Mountain Biomedical Research Centre and join the Wreath Laying Ceremony at the Victory Monument in Bishkek," he added.

Prime Minister Modi said that the last country that he will visit during the tour will be Tajikistan.

"On 12th and 13th July I will be in Tajikistan. The last PM visit to Tajikistan was by Atal ji in November 2003.We have a strategic partnership with Tajikistan and have very strong defence cooperation as well. However, our economic cooperation has been limited and the scope of growth is immense. Bilateral trade has huge potential," he said.

"My visit will build on the existing strong diplomatic and defence ties and script a fresh chapter in our economic ties. I look forward to meeting President Emomali Rahmon. Key agreements will also be signed after our meeting. I will be gifting medicines for the India-Tajikistan Friendship Hospital," he added.

Prime Minister Modi said that his visit will further deepen the strong bond between India and Tajikistan.

ANI

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi leaves for his visit to Central Asia and Russia on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667207.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi arrives at “Tashkent -1” Airport, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667209.jpg
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being welcomed on his arrival at “Tashkent -1” Airport, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667210.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being welcomed by the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev on his arrival at “Tashkent -1” Airport, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667211.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being welcomed by the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev on his arrival at “Tashkent -1” Airport, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667212.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi meeting the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev at the Meeting Hall of Tashkent Airport, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667213.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi meeting the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev at the Meeting Hall of Tashkent Airport, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667214.jpg

Last edited:
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inspecting the "Guard of Honour", at “Kuksaroy” (Presidential) Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667231.jpg

s2015070667230.jpg

s2015070667229.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi in restricted meeting with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667236.jpg

s2015070667237.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi in restricted meeting with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667238.jpg

Prime Minister's Office
06-July, 2015 18:18 IST
PM’s gift to President of Uzbekistan

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today presented President Islam Karimov a specially commissioned reproduction of Khamsa-i-Khusrau by the great 13th century sufi poet Amir Khusrau who was born in Uttar Pradesh and whose father hailed from Uzbekistan. Written in Persian, and profusely decorated and illuminated with various colours including gold and ultramarine, the work is a part of the manuscripts collection of National Museum, Delhi.

l2015070667232.jpg

l2015070667233.jpg

l2015070667234.jpg

l2015070667235.jpg

Last edited:
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667252.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667253.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at the delegation level talks with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667251.jpg

s2015070667250.jpg

s2015070667249.jpg

s2015070667248.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi shaking hands with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, after the Joint Press Statement, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667260.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi giving his statement to the media during Joint Press briefing with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667259.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi with the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov, during the Joint Press Statement, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667258.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi and the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov witnessing the signing of agreements, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667257.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi and the President of Uzbekistan, Mr. Islam Karimov witnessing the signing of agreements, at Kuksaroy Complex, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 06, 2015.
s2015070667256.jpg

s2015070667255.jpg

s2015070667254.jpg

Prime Minister's Office
06-July, 2015 20:18 IST
Text of PM’s statement to media during the Joint Press Briefing with President of Uzbekistan at Tashkent

His Excellency President Islam Karimov, President of Uzbekistan, Members of the Media,

I am delighted to be in the historic and beautiful city of Tashkent. It carries the warmth of familiarity that comes from sights and stories we grow up with.

I thank President Karimov and the people of Uzbekistan for their very warm welcome and hospitality.

It is a pleasure to meet President Karimov. He has led with great vision and wisdom to steer Uzbekistan’s progress and advance peace and prosperity in the region.

Today, I have embarked on a five-nation tour of Central Asia. It reflects our resolve to start a new era in our relations with Central Asian Republics.

Our relationship with the region has ancient roots and has left a strong imprint on both. It now occupies a significant place in India’s future.

I have begun my journey in Uzbekistan. This underlines this nation’s importance for India, not just in the context of this region, but also more broadly in Asia.

In recent years, India and Uzbekistan have built a strategic partnership on the foundation of mutual respect and shared interests.

This includes expanding economic cooperation, combating terrorism, advancing stability in the region and promoting regional integration.

President Karimov and I had very cordial and productive discussions. His perspectives will be of immense benefit to me in the days ahead.

I share President Karimov’s desire to raise the level of our economic engagement. I conveyed to him that there is a strong interest in Indian business to invest in Uzbekistan. There is immense potential in a broad range of areas in Uzbekistan. I have urged him to make the process and the policies for Indian investments here smoother. President responded positively to my suggestion.

President was also supportive of strengthening our ongoing cooperation in the areas of agriculture, Information Technology and energy.

We also discussed steps needed to implement the contract for supply of uranium from Uzbekistan signed earlier.

President Karimov and I discussed various initiatives to further enhance connectivity between India and Uzbekistan.

I briefed him about the International North South Transport Corridor and proposed that Uzbekistan consider becoming a member. I sought his support for India joining the Ashgabat Agreement.

I am pleased with the agreements in the areas of Culture and Tourism, because they will bring our people closer.

Few countries can match Uzbekistan in nurturing Hindi and Indian culture. Tomorrow, I look forward to meeting a vibrant group of Indologists and Hindi linguists.

India will expand cooperation in capacity building through increase in the number of training offers in India. Consistent with our commitment, the Uzbekistan-India Information Technology Centre has been upgraded this year.

I welcome President Karimov’s assurance to ensure speedy completion of the Entrepreneurship Development Centre being set up in Tashkent.

We also discussed regional and international issues, including the situation in Afghanistan. We also have shared concerns on the rising threat of extremism and terrorism in our extended neighbourhood.

We agreed to intensify security cooperation and exchanges. The bilateral Joint Working Group on Counter Terrorism will meet later this year. We also agreed to strenghen cooperation in defence and cyber security.

We look forward to working together within the framework of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.

Tomorrow, I will be paying a visit to the Monument of Independence and Humanism and the Memorial of Late Indian Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri. We are thankful to the people of Tashkent and Uzbekistan, for preserving the legacy of our former Prime Minister.

This has been a very rewarding visit. It has sown the seeds of a rich harvest in the years ahead.

I look forward to the opportunity of receiving President Karimov in India.

Thank you again for your hospitality and a wonderful meeting. Thank You.

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi releasing the first Uzbek-Hindi dictionary along with the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767269.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi releasing the first Uzbek-Hindi dictionary along with the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev and the Indologist Rakhmatov, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767268.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi appreciates Hindi book exhibition at meeting with Hindi language students & Indian community members, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev is also seen.
s2015070767267.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi meets the Indologists, students of Hindi and Indian community members, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev is also seen.
s2015070767273.jpg

s2015070767272.jpg

s2015070767271.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi with the Indologists, students of Hindi and Indian community members, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev is also seen.
s2015070767270.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being welcomed during the interaction with the Indologists, students of Hindi and Indian community members, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev is also seen.
s2015070767274.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi witnessing the cultural program during the interaction with the Indologists, students of Hindi and Indian community members, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767275.jpg

s2015070767276.jpg

India, Uzbekistan will cultivate a great relationship: PM Narendra Modi | Zee News

Tashkent: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is visiting Uzbekistan, on Tuesday said that people to people contact is important to deepen ties between nations.

Addressing a gathering attended by Uzbekistan PM Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev and students of Hindi and community members, PM Modi said that besides people-people to contact cultural ties are important for countries to come together.

The PM termed that his Uzbekistan visit a fruitful and full of good memories.

“I am sure our nations together will cultivate a great relationship,” the PM said.

India and Uzbekistan on Monday agreed to boost cooperation in fighting terrorism and in the field of defence and cyber security as PM Modi held talks with Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov, on his first stop on his Central Asian tour.

Modi and Karimov also discussed ways to boost connectivity and trade on uranium supplies to India.

The joint statement issued after the talks said "President Karimov noted that strengthening relations with India is one of the top foreign policy priorities of Uzbekistan, while Modi emphasised that a strong strategic partnership between India and Uzbekistan is a key pillar of India's engagement with Central Asia".

PM Modi pays tribute to Lal Bahadur Shastri in Tashkent | Zee News
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 - 11:17

377412-narendramodiuzbekistantwo70.jpg

Tashkent (Uzbekistan): Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday paid tribute to former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri in Tashkent.
s2015070767279.jpg

The Prime Minister laid floral wreaths at a bust of Shastri here.

Earlier in the day, the Prime Minister released the first Uzbek-Hindi dictionary along with his Uzbek counterpart and indologist Rakhmatov.

Prime Minister Modi, who arrived in Tashkent yesterday on the first leg of his eight-day tour to five central Asian countries and Russia, had said that India is looking forward to combating the menace along with Uzbekistan.

He also added that India was looking forward to expanding bilateral ties with Uzbekistan in matters related to economic cooperation, advancing stability and promoting regional integration.

ANI

Last edited:
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi interacting with the children after paying tributes, at the bust of the former Prime Minister, Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767282.jpg
s2015070767281.jpg
s2015070767280.jpg
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi pays tributes at the National Monument of Independence and Humanism, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767283.jpg
s2015070767284.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi shaking hands with the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev after paid tributes, at the National Monument of Independence and Humanism, in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767302.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being seen off by the Prime Minister of Uzbekistan, Mr. Shavkat Miromonovich Mirziyoyev on his departure from Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767303.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being seen off on his departure from Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767304.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi departs from Tashkent, Uzbekistan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767305.jpg

PM Narendra Modi arrives in Astana | Zee News
Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 - 14:39
Astana: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on Tuesday received by Kazakhstan Prime Minister Karim Massimov when he arrived here on the second leg of his Central Asian tour.

"I am happy to be in Kazakhstan, India's very valued friend in Central Asia," Modi said in a tweet, while also sharing an image of him and his Kazakh counterpart.

"Thank you PM Karim Massimov for the memorable welcome," he added.

Modi is currently on a visit to the five Central Asian nations of Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, as well as Russia, where he will participate in the BRICS and SCO Summit.

His visit started on Monday, from Uzbekistan, which he described as "memorable".

IANS

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi arrives at Astana International Airport, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767306.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being welcomed on his arrival at Astana International Airport, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767307.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being received by the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov on his arrival at Astana International Airport, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767308.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being received by the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov on his arrival at Astana International Airport, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767309.jpg

s2015070767310.jpg

s2015070767311.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi meeting the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767318.jpg

s2015070767319.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi visiting the Nazarbayev University, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov is also seen.
s2015070767327.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi visiting the Nazarbayev University, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov is also seen.
s2015070767328.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at the Nazarbayev University, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov is also seen.
s2015070767329.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at the Nazarbayev University, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov is also seen.
s2015070767330.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressing the gathering at the Nazarbayev University, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015. The Prime Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Mr. Karim Massimov is also seen.
s2015070767331.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressing the gathering at the Nazarbayev University, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767332.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi signing the visitors' book at the Nazarbayev University, in Astana, Kazakhstan on July 07, 2015.
s2015070767333.jpg

Political engagement has deepened with Kazakhstan, defence cooperation is growing: PM Modi | Zee News

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 7, 2015 - 19:01

Astana: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who arrived in Kazakhstan on Tuesday on the second leg of his Central Asian tour, made a strong pitch for enhanced defence and security cooperation with the Central Asian countries while addressing a gathering at the Nazerbayev University.

Underlying the Islamic heritage of both India and Central Asia 'defined by the highest ideals', the PM said that it has always rejected the forces of extremism.

"We live at the frontier of instability. We live close to the crucible of extremism and terrorism. We see terrorism spawned by nations and groups. Today, we also see cyber space become a platform without borders for terror to draw recruits to its cause. So, during this visit, we will strengthen our defence and security cooperation in the region. But, we will also combat terrorism by the strength of our values and our commitment to humanism,” he said.

Asserting that he has come to write a "new chapter in an ancient relationship", PM Modi said,"the Islamic heritage of both India and Central Asia is defined by the highest ideals of Islam - knowledge, piety, compassion and welfare. This is a heritage founded on the principle of love and devotion. And, it has always rejected the forces of extremism. Today, this is an important source of strength that brings India and Central Asia together.

The PM further said that Kazakhstan was a voice of responsibility and maturity in international forums, including the United Nations.

“No Indian will forget Kazakhstan's generosity in making way for India's bid for the membership of the UN Security Council in 2011-12,” he said, adding, “India is prepared to invest more in a new partnership of prosperity. We are intensifying our exchanges in culture, education and research. And we will connect our youth more. Our hopes of an Asian Century will be realised when we see Asia as one, not as South, West, East or Central.”

Back
Top Bottom