India to Test Fire Indo-Israeli LR-SAM/Barak-8 on-board INS Kolkata in 2015

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
INS Kolkata to fire long range missile in 2015

IMG_7772.JPG

INS Kolkata
Stealth destroyer INS Kolkata, the largest warship built in India, will fire a long-range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) for the first time in 2015.

“The vertical launch units of the LR-SAM, also called Barak 8, have been built into the vessel and the MF-STAR [multifunction surveillance and threat alert radar] is in place for missile guidance. All you need to do is take delivery of the missile, load it and fire. It is slated to take place next year,” Captain Tarun Sobti, Commanding Officer of INS Kolkata, told The Hindu during an exclusive tour of the ship.

111.jpg

The ship, commissioned in August in Mumbai, has just finished its maiden work-up here, during which the vessel and its crew were put through their paces by the Flag Officer Sea Training. The ship will carry 32 SAMs, with an enhanced range of up to 70 km, for missile defence.

The first flight of the LR-SAM, jointly developed by the Israeli Aerospace Industry and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), took place in Israel in November.

An operational firing of the vertical BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, against surface targets, would be carried out early next year, Capt. Sobti said. The vessel fired BrahMos during the sea-acceptance trials off Karwar in June.

He said the vessel had an indigenous content of about 70 per cent. The work-up laid emphasis on, and perfected, the standard operating procedures, safety routines and tactical skills. “It’s a special training where procedures are perfected, the crew put together and safety drills performed to a fault,” he said.

The vessel, sporting a stealth design and displacing 7,500 tonnes, demonstrated strength, manoeuvrability and survivability and provided crew comfort. robust anti-submarine warfare capability was achieved with depth chargers, heavy-weight torpedoes, rockets and a bow-mounted sonar, the HUMSA-NG, developed by the Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory, a DRDO lab.

Source:- INS Kolkata to fire long range missile in 2015 - The Hindu

Excellent.
Now we must focus on replacing the barak -1 with akash sam's as the last missile layer in older ships.(Sorry cannot be done as akash is very heavy at 720 kg)

But i find it wasteful to be having no barak-1 in kolkata!!
It only has barak-8 reportedely for .5 km to 70 km when ideally other ships have a high-low mixture like

1)aster 15 and 30
2)chinese have fl3000n ciws as last resort and s-300 variants for long ranges.

Last edited:
Excellent.
Now we must focus on replacing the barak -1 with akash sam's as the last missile layer in older ships.

It only has barak-8 reportedely for .5 km to 70 km when ideally other chips have a high-low mixture like

1)aster 15 and 30
QRSAM is being developed for that i think....

Excellent.
Now we must focus on replacing the barak -1 with akash sam's as the last missile layer in older ships.

It only has barak-8 reportedely for .5 km to 70 km when ideally other chips have a high-low mixture like

1)aster 15 and 30

Akash is exclusively a "surface" to air mobile missile launcher system - It isn't compact enough to enter naval service - it weighs around 720 Kg against 98 kg Barak 1. Akash can't be deployed on warships of any kind for that matter.

Meanwhile we are developing MRSAM that will serve the purpose -

Lol, Akash missile is huge monster compared to that thing.

Barak 1 is compact and agile.

Yeah,,i thought that whole battery of 3 missiles weighed 720 kg(even that is more) so it may be toned down.
But due to it being ramjet powered,,its way too heavy at 720kg:mad:

It only has barak-8 reportedely for .5 km to 70 km when ideally other ships have a high-low mixture like

If Barak-8 is capable of intercepting missiles at 500m, them what is the need for Barak-1 or any short range SAM.Less than 500m is already CIWS territory.

Remember this is a ship and has limited number of launch cells.A VLS cells taken up by Barak-1 means a VLS cell not taken up by Barak-8.

If Barak-8 is capable of intercepting missiles at 500m, them what is the need for Barak-1 or any short range SAM.Less than 500m is already CIWS territory.

Remember this is a ship and has limited number of launch cells.A VLS cells taken up by Barak-1 means a VLS cell not taken up by Barak-8.

Barak 1 is lighter and smaller so maybe more could be fitted,,,i was thinking that way.

Difference is almost double

barak-8

Specifications
Weight
275 kg[1]
Length 4.5 m[2][1]
Diameter 0.54 m[2][1]

Detonation
mechanism
Proximity. (60 kg warhead)[1]
barak-1

Specifications
Weight
98 kg[1]
Length 2.1 m[1]
Diameter 170 mm[1]
Warhead 22 kg[1] blast fragmentation warhead

Detonation
mechanism
Proximity fuze[1]

Barak 1 is lighter and smaller so maybe more could be fitted,,,i was thinking that way.
Yeah i also thought of the same thing.According to Penguin and Sancho,2*8 Barak-1 VLS system can be easily integrated in the Kolkata class by removing each of the 4 AK-630 CIWS(or at least a couple of them) and using that space like what was done in case of the Delhi Class.In this way Kolkata class can have a right combination of hi-lo mixture.
Delhi9.jpg

That is for land variant. For IAF, iirc
So why on earth is the Army not interested in inducting the Barak-8 ER version in it's Air Defense Corp:undecided:??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom