What's new

India to recharge bid for UN Security Council seat

Just out of curiousity what does Mexico and Italy have against Brazil?

Reporting error at its best

Argentina, Colombia, Mexico - opposed to a bid for Brazil
Italy, Netherlands, Spain - opposed to a bid for Germany (wishing for a seat for the whole European Union)
South Korea - opposed to a bid for Japan
Pakistan - opposed to a bid for India
Canada - opposed in principle to expansion not achieved by consensus or near-consensus.

And yet no chances of any representation in the near future for 25% (muslims) of the world in this "closed group"

India is home to over 150million muslims, 2nd largest muslim population AFAIK

Last edited:
And yet no chances of any representation in the near future for 25% (muslims) of the world in this "closed group"

You can't represent a people in a nation state assembly like the SC. What Islamic nation can you propose that doesn't get opposed by other Islamic nations?

Turkey may be a possibility but it's hardly representative.

You can't represent a people in a nation state assembly like the SC. What Islamic nation can you propose that doesn't get opposed by other Islamic nations?

Turkey may be a possibility but it's hardly representative.

Bangladesh I guess...

Just out of curiousity what does Mexico and Italy have against Brazil?

Well I think the report has stated wrongly....

Italy opposes Germany NOT Brazil and wishes to include the entire EU as an entity for the seat

Mexico: Opposes brazil (in my opinion) as both are equally good candidates being that they represent over 50% of latin america by size of population as well as economy.....Other than that I cant see a reason why Mex-Brazil which share healthy relations and have no outstanding disputes would be opposed to each other

i feel this whole UNSC thing is outdated. just five countries holding the power to decide the fate of the rest in 21st century?? then again the theory of 'survival of fittest' hasn't changed from day one till now i suppose!!

Well thats not true at all....

The expansion speaks of including 1 or 2 African nations in the new group.....

Egypt is a top contender for this spot along with South Africa...(Though I would seriously doubt Egypt would be able to pull this off)

There may yet be hope.....

But as CardSharp pointed out one cannot include Religion as a deciding factor for representation......

Bangladesh I guess...

Or Turkey....besides....BD needs to work on its economy and its military....also its political muscle....

There are certain factors that go into the makings of a parmanent member.....Religion is not one of them

Oh I agree, the current representation is an antique and is not at all representative of the current world power balance. What I think should be a proper balance is as follows.

In no particular order

China, US, Japan, India, Brazil, Russia, Germany, UK

France would be pissed but they are too introverted to matter in international politics and Africa I'm afraid is just not ready for a seat.

I agree with that list.

I agree with that list.

It's not perfect by any stretch. It really depends on what you want the size of the SC to be and what role it should play with respect to the GA. Even at this size, veto power would be out of the question (it's hard enough to get anything done even with 5 veto holders)

Expanding the SC to a much larger size is not a problem (even 10-12 countries) I think it's the veto power that's the tricky part.

India is home to over 150million muslims, 2nd largest muslim population AFAIK

You can hardly expect India to champion the cause of muslim nations? And also secondly INDIA DOES NOT HAVE THE SECOND LARGEST MUSLIM POPULATION. Please every Indian read this. Tired of being told this wrong fact again and again by Indians.

Pew Forum: Map: World Distribution of Muslim Population Weighted

Muslims in:
Pakistan = 174
India = 161

Pakistan will eventually have the largest muslim population in a few decades overtaking Indonesia as well.

I agree with you Cardsharp to some extent. True, who can be said to represent the muslim countries. My vote would go for Turkey. Has proven time and time again it champions the causes of weaker muslim nations (Palestine, Kosovo, Bosnia, Uighers). Saudi cant be chosen due to the Iran shia/sunni factor but turkey would be no problem in my opinion.

United Nations is a collection of Nation states not religions...Turkey could put a strong case forward.I don't know why they don't.

It's not perfect by any stretch. It really depends on what you want the size of the SC to be and what role it should play with respect to the GA. Even at this size, veto power would be out of the question (it's hard enough to get anything done even with 5 veto holders)

Expanding the SC to a much larger size is not a problem (even 10-12 countries) I think it's the veto power that's the tricky part.

I feel if the UNSC is expanded, Veto power should become a "Power" granted through democratic ideals of election...

So say you have the parmanent Members as you listed....

Every 5 years, the UN votes to elect the states that will gain Veto power.....

This means that unlike an "inheritance" that US, UK and Russia treat their Veto, it becomes something earned through the efforts of their diplomacy, playing nice with other countries etc....

This will allow the UN to monitor any unjust actions implemented by Perm 5....and avoid blunders such as Iraq WMD and make the veto powers accountable for their actions.....

Besides, with the current power scenario, I feel France and Britain fall grossly behind the other 3 powers in terms of Military or economy....

Just a thought....

Algeria is the best candidate for representing both Africa and Islamic nations.

Its the 11th largest country.

Algeria has gained a great deal of respect for its neutrality over the years and its great commitment to African development.

Back
Top Bottom