What's new

India to recharge bid for UN Security Council seat

Peshwa

Reaction score
Country
India
India to recharge bid for UN Security Council seat - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: India is set to accelerate its diplomatic effort for reform of the UN Security Council as external affairs minister S M Krishna gears up to meet his counterparts from other G4 countries, including Japan, Brazil and Germany, and those of other multi-nation groupings to seek their support.

Krishna leaves for New York on Saturday on a 10-day visit during which he will represent India at high-segment meetings of the 65th United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) and other associated events.

The G4 foreign ministers are expected to meet on the sidelines of the UNGA next week to review the progress in their campaign and rejig their strategy for accelerating the long-dragging reforms of the UN Security Council.

The meetings come at a hopeful moment for India as it readies to get elected to a non-permanent seat of the UN Security Council for 2011-12 in October with an overwhelming majority. If all goes well for New Delhi, India will be in the Security Council for a two-year term as a non-permanent member from Jan 1, 2011 -- the first time in 19 years it will get the prized seat.

With barely days to go before the UN General Assembly decides on India's bid for a non-permanent seat Oct 1, Krishna will be networking extensively and address multi-nation groupings, including G-77 foreign ministers meeting on Sept 24, the SAARC foreign ministers' gathering Sept 29, and the meetings of BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China), IBSA (India, Brazil and South Africa) and RIC (Russia, India and China).

In a positive development for India, some of the countries in the United for Consensus, informally called Coffee Club, who were opposed to the G4 bid, are now backing India's claim for a permanent seat.

Many countries in the Coffee Club did not have problems with India's candidature, but were hostile to their rivals in the G4 grouping. Pakistan opposed India's bid, Mexico opposed Brazil's candidature, and Italy was dead set against Brazil's UN ambitions.

Read more: India to recharge bid for UN Security Council seat - The Times of India India to recharge bid for UN Security Council seat - The Times of India

Hope it all falls into place....

China supports India for a seat in the UN Security Council. :cheers:

Russia, Britain and France also support India's entry into the UNSC. I think the USA will too, so that will be ALL of the permanent members who support India's entry.

Though initially opposed by the Chinese due to geo-political reasons (China being an ally of India's arch-rival Pakistan and the country also having fought a brief war with India in 1962), recent history has turned China's official support for India's candidature from negative to neutral to positive, in correlation with stronger economic ties. On 11 April 2005 China announced it would support India's bid for a permanent seat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reform_of_the_United_Nations_Security_Council

India certainly deserves a permanent seat in the UNSC, by virtue of their enormous economic importance to the global community.

Last edited:
In the current state ,like NSG waiver ,even this is not possible without US support.

So the only option is to earn it.

China supports India for a seat in the UN Security Council. :cheers:

Reform of the United Nations Security Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russia, Britain and France also support India's entry into the UNSC. I think the USA will too, so that will be ALL of the permanent members who support India's entry.

India deserves a permanent seat in the UNSC by virtue of their size, and by virtue of their enormous economic importance to the global community.

Russia, UK and France support India as there is no issues whatsoever between them.
China may or may not support us. It has never told in concerete terms. Though India must understand their position as well. There is too much pressure on China from their alies.

But I think USA would not support India. Considering USA policies, it seem a distant dream, atlest for now.

Beside India has some other issues. We have to develop a bit more (though not too much uis required). Since India is a member of G-4 therefore it can not look after its own interrest only. This makes things worse as there are large number of countries who suppoer India are against other members.

Note: I mean permanent seat with veto.

Since India is a member of G-4 therefore it can not look after its own interrest only. This makes things worse as there are large number of countries who suppoer India are against other members.

Good point, the G4 may be a problem, due to the "Uniting for consensus" organisation who strongly oppose the G4. India should make an independent bid for the seat, like Japan is doing.

However, as India grows in Economic strength, it will be able to persuade these nations to step aside and allow it to enter the UNSC.

Last edited:
UNSC meeting in October.

Obama in India in November.

Excellent timing, interesting events ahead. Gonna enjoy the show.:agree:

Since India is a member of G-4 therefore it can not look after its own interrest only. This makes things worse as there are large number of countries who suppoer India are against other members.

Voting is not for the group, but on the basis of each country. Its a non issue now.

In the current state ,like NSG waiver ,even this is not possible without US support.

So the only option is to earn it.

Earn it ?????????????????????????????????

There is nothing to earn here. The UNSC is power club, who's membership was picked by the founders. As a WWII winner table.
Those nations that would enjoy the spoils of war. And gain an advantaged diplomatic position , through the UN.

One does not merely get on the SC by meeting a checklist , one has to market themselves so to speak. The reason Britain , France and Russia support our bid is because they see more to gain from India joining then India not , how India accomplished this i don't know.

They are many factor to consider when talking about UNSC membership , which includes our diplomatic ties with more than 2/3 of the UN signatory states.

There is nothing to earn here. The UNSC is power club, who's membership was picked by the founders. As a WWII winner table.

Interesting point.

When China joined the UNSC in 1971, our Economy was actually smaller than that of India.

So there is definitely a "closed membership" mentality here, that spans from WW2.

Earn it ?????????????????????????????????

Those nations that would enjoy the spoils of war. And gain an advantaged diplomatic position , through the UN.

One does not merely get on the SC by meeting a checklist , one has to market themselves so to speak. The reason Britain , France and Russia support our bid is because they see more to gain from India joining then India not , how India accomplished this i don't know.

They are many factor to consider when talking about UNSC membership , which includes our diplomatic ties with more than 2/3 of the UN signatory states.

Well I beg to differ.....

Although in essence, the UNSC currently represents the major powers of the present world, I dont see how they represent the "victors" of WW2

Certainly France was the first to fall to the German onslaught no different than a Poland....same can be said about parts of China wrt to Japan.....

I think US, UK and Russia were definitely the alpha powers....the french have a major cultural impact in Europe.....almost the alpha dogs of culture for Europe and the Chinese on account of their large population and the impact of being 1/3rd of earth's population attained those seats.....

Obviously, this is my view....

I might be wrong, but thats how I feel

Well I beg to differ.....

Although in essence, the UNSC currently represents the major powers of the present world, I dont see how they represent the "victors" of WW2

Certainly France was the first to fall to the German onslaught no different than a Poland....same can be said about parts of China wrt to Japan.....

I think US, UK and Russia were definitely the alpha powers....the french have a major cultural impact in Europe.....almost the alpha dogs of culture for Europe and the Chinese on account of their large population and the impact of being 1/3rd of earth's population attained those seats.....

Obviously, this is my view....

I might be wrong, but thats how I feel

Doesn't matter. You can argue about contribution to final defeat of the Axis all you want but these were the major combatants who were nation states at the end of the conflict. If India was an independent country at the end of the war it would have been on the SC as well.

Doesn't matter. You can argue about contribution to final defeat of the Axis all you want but these were the major combatants who were nation states at the end of the conflict. If India was an independent country at the end of the war it would have been on the SC as well.

I completely agree....I clearly mentioned that it was purely my opinion.

I was just questioning the "Spoils of the victors" idea.....especially since I do think that representation by China was essential due to its enormous size by land and population......not just as a combatant in WW2....though France's inclusion is questionable especially in light of their decimation in WW2

But Im with you on the rest..

I completely agree....I clearly mentioned that it was purely my opinion.

I was just questioning the "Spoils of the victors" idea.....especially since I do think that representation by China was essential due to its enormous size by land and population......not just as a combatant in WW2....though France's inclusion is questionable especially in light of their decimation in WW2

But Im with you on the rest..

Oh I agree, the current representation is an antique and is not at all representative of the current world power balance. What I think should be a proper balance is as follows.

In no particular order

China, US, Japan, India, Brazil, Russia, Germany, UK

France would be pissed but they are too introverted to matter in international politics and Africa I'm afraid is just not ready for a seat.

And yet no chances of any representation in the near future for 25% (muslims) of the world in this "closed group"

Back
Top Bottom