What's new

India tests Astra BVRAAM

there are chances that drdo may work up with astra to produce a small surface-to-air system,possibly for corvettes/other ships.
i heard from my defence friends that they are looking onto a manpad system too

:wave::wave::wave:

there are chances that drdo may work up with astra to produce a small surface-to-air system,possibly for corvettes/other ships.
i heard from my defence friends that they are looking onto a manpad system too

:wave::wave::wave:

for small range rockets ????

To which we are calling first tier defence???

for small range rockets ????

To which we are calling first tier defence???
buddy,astra may be further developed to form an secondary sam system,suitable for smaller vessels or as an support for existing sam systems in larger vessels.

buddy,astra may be further developed to form an secondary sam system,suitable for smaller vessels or as an support for existing sam systems in larger vessels.

For that purpose, Aakash is fitted in T-72 chassis.

images

We have Barak,and Barak II is in development, so why exactly fancy??
dude,
it is true that india already has several potent,proven,deadly sam systems arming its ships.but astra may form a small sam system for
smaller ships,vehicles etc.erector launcher system used during the aastra tests occupied very small space only,comparitively(ignoring the variousscientific attachments). some times,if the project moves forward(the plan is just a proposal),they may even arm up the medium sized petrol crafts

I think Manpads can be a good idea but regarding Tier 2 defence in large vessels i'm not sure how much it
will be feasible.Tier2 should be normally a quick reaction SAM like Python..And more over i'm also not sure how much effective ASTRA can be against Cruise and Anti ship missiles which is the major threat for vessels..??Experts throw some light on it please..

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Mate BARAK8 is a joint venture..Now we need to look for completey indegenous ones like ASTRA..So there is nothing fancy in it..Infact its really good from DRDO to come up with wide range of options for ASTRA..One or the other will click and become a huge success..

Back
Top Bottom