What's new

India ready to build Laser Weapon Systems.

New Recruit

Reaction score
Type
Laser weapon systems

Development
India is planning to develop laser weapon systems that can be Submarine, Surface Ship, Airborne and Land-Based to intercept an incoming missile launched from a distance of up to 2,000 km away. This development will be headed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) working with The Laser and Science Technology Centre (LASTEC).Initially the first system is expected to be associated with India's Anti-Ballistic Missile systems that are currently in development, the first laser will take at least 10 - 15 years to come on-line.It is assessed that the first of these systems will be designed to destroy ballistic missile targets carrying nuclear or conventional warheads in their boost phase. During an interview with the LASTEC Director Anil Kumar Maini in late August 2010, it was confirmed that India intends to use laser (Directed Energy Weapons - DEW) to engage an enemy missile in its boost and/or terminal phase.A project known simply as KALI was first identified as far back as 1985; this was a DRDO/BARC (Bhabha Atomic Research Centre) programme that finally started life in 1989. Although not in itself a laser weapon system as we know it today (August 2010), the potential for the system to fulfil the role as a military DEW system is still there. It is assessed that if weaponised, it is very likely that KALI would be integrated into the Ballistic Missile Defence programme PAD/AAD.India is today (August 2010), conducting tests on a developmental 25 kilowatt laser system to hit a missile during

The complete article appears in the following publication:
Publication Title Jane's Land-Based Air Defence
Publication date Sep 01, 2010
Section Laser weapon systems
Publication synopsis Jane's Land-Based Air Defence makes gathering intelligence on land-based air defence systems quick and easy. It provides details of system development and status, technical descriptions, variants, specifications, country inventories, manufacturer details, and over 900 photographs to support recognition. This authoritative resource is essential for all those interested in remaining up-to-date on the developments within this fast moving industry.
Key contents include Man-portable SAMs
Self-propelled anti-aircraft guns
Self-propelled SAMs
Towed anti-aircraft guns and sights
Static and towed SAMs
Shelter- and container-based SAMs
Anti-aircraft control systems
Universal/multi-purpose missile systems
Inventories
Contractor details
Manufacturers index

Different sections provide in-depth detail covering Analysis
Anti-Aircraft Control Systems
Contractors
Glossary
Inventory
Laser Weapon Systems
Man-Portable Surface-To-Air Missile Systems
Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Guns
Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Guns/Surface-To-Air Missile Systems
Self-Propelled Surface-To-Air Missiles
Shelter- And Container-Based Surface-To-Air Missile Systems
Static And Towed Surface-To-Air Missile Systems
Towed Anti-Aircraft Gun Sights
Towed Anti-Aircraft Guns
Universal (Multipurpose: Land/Sea/Air) Missiles

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Land-Based-Air-Defence/India-Laser-Weapon-Systems-India.html

Last edited:
Yup......no one believed me when i said ISRO has secret alien tech which it transfers to DRDO. Next we will be seeing indian made anti gravity weapon systems which can throw all chinese troops into a black hole.

Brother its better to live in reality
Yup......no one believed me when i said ISRO has secret alien tech which it transfers to DRDO. Next we will be seeing indian made anti gravity weapon systems which can throw all chinese troops into a black hole.

First off, you posted a dud link. Second you posted a claim totally warped. You cant expect an answer any better than that.

laser will take at least 10 - 15 years to come on-line.
So why they are even talking about this? They are acting like teenagers. Unless they are sure they can even build this kind of thing why they are talking about this. These people bring embarrassment to themselves. They should try to keep their mouth shut.

First off, you posted a dud link. You cant expect an answer any better than that. Hey if you can make up stuff i can too

So why they are even talking about this? They are acting like teenagers. Unless they are sure they can even build this kind of thing why they are talking about this. These people bring embarrassment to themselves. They should try to keep their mouth shut.

Agreed. Bigmouoth bigots.

Dude the LCA took you guys 30 years you think you can build a laser sci fi starwars startrek movie crap in just 10 to 15 years.

Appreciate the enthusiasm but dont you think its a little.....no way out of your league..!

Dude the LCA took you guys 30 years you think you can build a laser sci fi starwars startrek movie crap in just 10 to 15 years.

Appreciate the enthusiasm but dont you think its a little.....no way out of your league..!

30 years back we were just another nation... now anythings possible..

Impossible it self says i m possible!!!

30 years back we were just another nation... now anythings possible..

Impossible it self says i m possible!!!

and 30 years later you are just another nation with twice the population..!

clever using my signature against i am going to put a copyright sign on this thing!so no one copies it.

India plans to use laser weapons in Ballistic Missile DefencePlace: New Delhi | Agency: PTI

India is planning to develop a laser based weapon system as part of its Ballistic Missile Defence to intercept and destroy missiles soon after they are launched towards the country.

"If you have a laser based system on an airborne or seaborne platform, it can travel at the speed of light and in a few seconds, we can kill a ballistic missile coming towards us," DRDO's Air Defence Programme director VK Saraswat said here.

He said the laser based interceptor will give "more time" to the BMD system to kill ballistic missile launched from a distance of 2000 kms.

"Suppose if the missile is being launched at Indian target from 2000 km. If I have to kill it there, I will have to travel that distance, which will require many minutes to be there. If you have a laser system travelling at a speed of light, it can kill that missile in its boost phase (just after launch) even before it has travelled a few 100 kilometers," Saraswat, who is chief controller R&D, said.

A ballistic missile take-off has three segments. When launched, it is called boost phase, and followed by the mid course when it reaches the highest point of its trajectory and lastly the terminal phase when it is coming close to the target on ground.

Saraswat said its ideal to destroy a ballistic missile carrying nuclear or conventional warhead in its boost phase.

"It's easier to kill a missile in boost phase as it has not gained much speed and is easier to target. It cannot deploy any countermeasures and it is vulnerable at that time," Saraswat said.

The distinguished scientist stated that DRDO laboratories like The Laser and Science Technology Centre (LASTEC) was also developing such technologies.

"In LASTEC, we are developing many of these technologies.We have to package these technologies on aircraft like the Americans have done on their systems," he added.

Saraswat added that it will take another 10-15 years for the premier defence research institute to make it usable on ground.
"It is an involved process and not just about producing lasers. We have to put in many systems like the surveillance and tracking systems together for such a system to work. It will take another 10-15 years before we talk of integrating all these elements," he said.

India plans to use laser weapons in Ballistic Missile Defence - World - DNA

Ye saala Saraswat hi media hungry hai...His agni missile project was not as successful as K-series, so now he is trying to sobatage that project so that he remains the hero of our missiles.

and 30 years later you are just another nation with twice the population..!

clever using my signature against i am going to put a copyright sign on this thing!so no one copies it.
30 years later ... :) ,,,

India will not be just another nation ....

Mother India will have taken the rightful place she deserves in this Earth ...

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom