What's new

India, Pak have crappiest drinking water

One of the major causes of cancer.
really ? oO

how.. asbestos pipes carrying carcinogenic agents or something ?

most urban folk have ROs here

or one could go oldschool and boil your water before storing it

personally I like those traditional water matkas, often adorned with a lion or something, tip it over to pour.. traditional copper? ones are also said to have beneficial minerals and stuff in water stored there.

s-l500.jpg

watr-jug-004-mitti-craft-house-original-imafu6d2yaqdwmh3.jpeg

type

I don't know how it is in Pakistan, but in India the 'tanker mafia' is big. The bring water from crappy lakes. We live in a large apartment complex so at least we have a WTP which does the first level of treatment before it goes into the ROs at home. But it uses a huge amount of industrial salt which can be seen in bathrooms where the tiles have become all white and cannot be cleaned. We bathe with this water. Maybe that's why I am looking a little bit fairer with every passing year.

really ? oO

Water itself is contaminated.

personally I like those traditional water matkas, often adorned with a lion or something, tip it over to pour.. traditional copper? ones are also said to have beneficial minerals and stuff in water stored there.

s-l500.jpg

type
Not minerals I think but they filtered the water somehow.

@RescueRanger sir, I am sure you can add here.

in azad kashmir i our village ppl have have underground water supply. do they like wasting water or wat.

in azad kashmir i our village ppl have have underground water supply. do they like wasting water or wat.
Generally people in small towns tend to waste water a lot. It is a common sight to see people washing their car every day with a hose pipe on all the time or liberally watering their gardens. We large city apartment dwellers can only watch in horror at this practice.

The trick is to spend money - surround your large city with numerous 500 megaliter (500,000 cubic meter) water purification plants.

Each of these plants can serve upwards of 4 million people with potable water. But Dhaka has almost 25~30 million people and even if we think half of this people don't belong to the water-service recipient population that will still require half a dozen plants like this. The somewhat hopeful news is that these projects are in the pipeline in Dhaka and about 3~4 large ones have already been built.

Last edited:
really ? oO

most urban folk have ROs here

or one could go oldschool and boil your water before storing it

s-l500.jpg

type
In Pakistan our problem is lead piping dating back to pre partition in some rural areas.

Water itself is contaminated.

Not minerals I think but they filtered the water somehow.

@RescueRanger sir, I am sure you can add here.
Matka is the age old method of water decanting. It separates the particulate from a liquid.

Before potable water became commonplace in rural tradition water was sourced from a well or a spring in large buckets these were then covered with muslin cloth and the water aired and the poured into containers matkas for decanting - this removing soil and particulates.

Obviously not as safe as boiling water but I’ll tell you this, I have drunk stream water in KPK many times and never been sick.

Yet the water in Karachi always makes me feel unsteady, never sick but just yuk. Completely the water in abbottabad is almost always sweet.

Water in rural Punjab and some old English cantoments will almost always be contaminated due to soil runoff - piping and source contamination.

PWO water supply in Pindi is by far the safest when tested by independent labs. Wonder why 😂

Last edited:
In Pakistan our problem is lead piping dating back to pre partition in some rural areas.
Lead is another big killer..

sucks, man.. these 3rd world problems.

ancient copper vs aluminium wiring ka bh scene hai wrt fire hazard in many old homes/societies here.. not sure which is the safer one but we had ours changed at a few places.. but many still run that unsafe stuff.

should be prioritized, these kinds of things.. even if it means some big corp gets a meaty contract... end user cost low hai to chalega, govt could pay the lion's share.

lot many here just won't be willing to pay for a whole house wire upgrade.. desi "chalta hai" attitude.

🤷‍♂️

Lead is another big killer..

sucks, man.. these 3rd world problems.

ancient copper vs aluminium wiring ka bh scene hai wrt fire hazard in many old homes/societies here.. not sure which is the safer one but we had ours changed at a few places.. but many still run that unsafe stuff.

should be prioritized, these kinds of things.. even if it means some big corp gets a meaty contract... end user cost low hai to chalega, govt could pay the lion's share.

lot many here just won't be willing to pay for a whole house wire upgrade.. desi "chalta hai" attitude.

🤷‍♂️
Even in our villages now the trend is for aluminium underground cabling. With the only the distribution point “Khamba” pole being outside the house - this has reduced the risk of electrocution during storm and foul weather events which are still every common in Pakistan.

Karachi and Lahore and perhaps sadder/ hati chowk are the only other places where overhead cables still haven’t been updated despite large consumer demands.

2A0AE191-78D5-4650-80A9-244D2EFBA1FE.jpeg

Like what the F is this shit?

actually it does, the last report by GIZ technical team visit to Pakistan said so much in their working paper. But alas if that’s what you want to believe and stay pessimistic, who am I to oppose you.

I’ve worked in developing rural communities in some very remote parts of Pakistan, it can be done.
How much would it cost do implement for a city like Multan? Down stream of most of the nation’s population centers and with a large population of its own.

How much would it cost do implement for a city like Multan? Down stream of most of the nation’s population centers and with a large population of its own.
For a city you are looking in billions of rupees of investment. For villages it’s easier due to limited infrastructure.

I know that the treatment plant in Pindi cost 2billion PKR.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom