What's new

India-Myanmar-Thailand Highway Becomes Operational

Actually it's an elaborate road network called the Asian Highway Network which is supposed to connect all Asian countries - You can very well go to Thailand from India via both Myanmar and Laos by switching the highways under this network.

Asian Highway Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I should think so. Vietnam too. Its right next door to Laos.

Roads of course would be there. But maybe they have different Visa arrangements at the border crossings not part of the plan?

Within the country, am sure you could get off the main highway (marked) and explore. Its the cross-border transit I was alluding to.

Myanmar is left hand drive , this too is leading to lots of discussion - often heated after 8 pm !

The joys of riding a bike sir. LOL

P.S. Post 8 p.m. discussions are always heated. But liquid cooled.

I should think so. Vietnam too. Its right next door to Laos.

Roads of course would be there. But maybe they have different Visa arrangements at the border crossings not part of the plan?

Within the country, am sure you could get off the main highway (marked) and explore. Its the cross-border transit I was alluding to.

India- Myanmar-Thailand (IMT) Motor Vehicle Agreement(MVA) is to be signed for cross border transit later this year similar to BBIN MVA.

This particular route is only a part of the overall Asian Highway network as pointed out rightly.

India- Myanmar-Thailand (IMT) Motor Vehicle Agreement(MVA) is to be signed for cross border transit later this year similar to BBIN MVA.

This particular route is only a part of the overall Asian Highway network as pointed out rightly.

Great info bro. Keep it coming. :tup:

What a beautiful future it would be in my own biking lifetime (hopefully another 25 years) if we could work out a Schengen sort of transit agreement between all like minded nations in the region.

Great info bro. Keep it coming. :tup:

What a beautiful future it would be in my own biking lifetime (hopefully another 25 years) if we could work out a Schengen sort of transit agreement between all like minded nations in the region.

Yes, that would be wonderful. Refreshingly,India seems to be taking a lead in this matter. BTW, Imphal-Mandalay bus service is set to start as a part of this arrangement.

A logical extension to this will be to sign similar agreements with rest of the ASEAN nations. After completion of the BCIM corridor (Kolkata-Kumning highway) which is nearly complete & successful implementation of the India- Sri Lanka land bridge, we might see similar transit pacts between these nations as well.

As I see it, in about 10 years from now, the following regions--- Eastern SAARC i.e. BBIN & SL, ASEAN nations & China, will get fully integrated with highway networks and necessary transit agreements ala Europe.

This will link three of the most dynamic growth regions in the world viz. South Asia, SE Asia & China & boost regional connectivity & deepen economic interdependence.I believe North-East region will be hugely benefited as it will act as the key hub for these projects. I am happy that GoI is moving towards a comprehensive architecture similar to what I had blogged about.

India-Myanmar-Thailand motor vehicles accord in offing | Business Standard News

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/guwahati/Survey-on-for-Imphal-Mandalay-bus-service/articleshow/45859613.cms

China, India fast-track BCIM economic corridor project - The Hindu

India-Sri Lanka road link in the works: Nitin Gadkari | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Back
Top Bottom